[SOLVED] Should my internet run much slower through my router?

johnr283

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2013
My ISP speed is 120mbps. When connected directly to my modem, my speed runs at upwards of 100mbps. However when connected through my router, (either wired or WiFi) my speed is right around 10mbps. I have a brand new Netgear Nighthawk AC2300, Model: R7000P router. I spoke to a Netgear agent who suggested I change the channel on my WiFi connection which did nothing. He also said the WiFi vs wired may result in up to 30% less speed. 10mbps out of 100 is 90% less though. That seems like a big difference to me.

kanewolf

Titan
My ISP speed is 120mbps. When connected directly to my modem, my speed runs at upwards of 100mbps. However when connected through my router, (either wired or WiFi) my speed is right around 10mbps. I have a brand new Netgear Nighthawk AC2300, Model: R7000P router. I spoke to a Netgear agent who suggested I change the channel on my WiFi connection which did nothing. He also said the WiFi vs wired may result in up to 30% less speed. 10mbps out of 100 is 90% less though. That seems like a big difference to me.
Your WIRED speed should be equivalent. Start by doing a factory reset on your router. Then set just the admin password, WIFI SSID info/password, and any ISP required info. Then check your WIRED speed.

kanewolf

Titan
I did a factory reset. My wired speed still hovers around 10mbps.The wire to my PC is still and old CAT5 cable as well. Will changing that help?
Unknown for sure. But that is the next place to check. Cat5e or Cat6/6a all support 1GE. You can check what the link speed on your PC is -- https://winaero.com/blog/see-the-ethernet-or-wifi-adapter-speed-in-windows-10/ You should see 1 Gigabit for the link speed if the cabling is good.
You also want the speed of your network adapter set to "Auto"

johnr283

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2013

johnr283

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2013
If the link speed is 1Gb, then the network adapter is doing what it is supposed to. What motherboard do you have ? If you have a motherboard with killer network hardware, then that may be the reason. The Asus "Game First" software can also cause problems.
My PC is a Dell Inspiron 3670. I don't have any idea what kind of motherboard it has, but I can find out.

johnr283

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2013
Time to load up a linux live cd and see what speeds you get on that. If you don't get full speed on that, you've got a hardware issue.
I'm unfamiliar with Linux live. I do have and old Puppy Linux disc which I believe I ounce used to retrieve pictures from a corrupted Windows hard drive.

Can you point me in the right direction for a Linux Live CD?

My PC is a Dell Inspiron 3670. I don't have any idea what kind of motherboard it has, but I can find out.
You won't have a killer nic or any problematic nic as this is a standard system. However, you might have a program installed that could be causing problems.

I'm unfamiliar with Linux live. I do have and old Puppy Linux disc which I believe I ounce used to retrieve pictures from a corrupted Windows hard drive.

Can you point me in the right direction for a Linux Live CD?
Pretty much the same idea. Here's a few I use regularly:
https://spi.dod.mil/docs/TENS-1.7.6_public.iso
https://linuxmint.com/download.php