[SOLVED] Should my RTX 2070 be constantly hitting the 81°C Temp limit?

Steve101_

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2014
So i bought a Gigabyte RTX 2070 WINDFORCE 2X 8G and have put it in my system but i am noticing that it runs very hot, and while some people say this is normal, i have read in other places it is not.

In Modern Warefare and Borderlands 3 for example, Maxed out settings on MW but no ray tracing or DOF and a few other things i don't personally like and so turn them off, the card when in game pretty much sits at 81°C which is the temp limit i have set in MSI after burner.
I haven't done any overclocking at all yet, all i have done is made a better fan curve but even still the card seems to reach its temp limit.
Borderlands is more of the same but in that i have most settings on High. (Can't honestly remember if that is the highest or if there is an ultra)

I have a Nzxt Phantom 530 case with just the case fans it came with.
When I play I increase the fan controlled to its highest setting (3/3).
My room is also in no way already warm, i don't have the heating on in my computer room so i don't think it is that affecting things.

Not sure if this means anything as i haven't come across it before but in a few games i have noticed the GPU usage ramps up to 100% when then game is paused, and then when unpaused it will lower... not sure if this is related but will remove if not.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Solution
No clock speeds in your picture, so can't really say if it is throttling. The goal here is to see if the high temperatures are actually resulting in less GPU performance.

Yes, you do indeed have a bit of a CPU bottleneck, so the above isn't so important. Even if the GPU could run faster, it doesn't really need to at the moment. Certainly get more FPS with a faster CPU, in the meantime though, you could crank up some graphics settings and get a prettier picture without much detriment to FPS.

Could be as simple as it not going full throttle, so it is floating the higher temperature since it doesn't need to push it.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Interesting that they didn't cap frame rate when the game is paused. Rendering as many frames as possible can certainly result in 100% GPU usage.

What are the clock speeds on the GPU when it is at 81C? If they at or above the rated boost clock, then it is just trying as hard as possible, which is what you want it to do.

Marcus584

Commendable
May 2, 2017
So i bought a Gigabyte RTX 2070 WINDFORCE 2X 8G and have put it in my system but i am noticing that it runs very hot, and while some people say this is normal, i have read in other places it is not.

In Modern Warefare and Borderlands 3 for example, Maxed out settings on MW but no ray tracing or DOF and a few other things i don't personally like and so turn them off, the card when in game pretty much sits at 81°C which is the temp limit i have set in MSI after burner.
I haven't done any overclocking at all yet, all i have done is made a better fan curve but even still the card seems to reach its temp limit.
Borderlands is more of the same but in that i have most settings on High. (Can't honestly remember if that is the highest or if there is an ultra)

My room is also in no way already warm, i don't have the heating on in my computer room so i don't think it is that affecting things.

Not sure if this means anything as i haven't come across it before but in a few games i have noticed the GPU usage ramps up to 100% when then game is paused, and then when unpaused it will lower... not sure if this is related but will remove if not.

Pretty sure the thermal limit set on those cards is 88 so 81 shouldn't be a problem. Not sure about why its hitting 100% though.

I don't find 81C that odd. I have and have had GPUs run that around 80C.
I find it odd that it's going to 100% with the game paused.
Maybe it's game specific? ....because you said you have seen it in a few games.....but I have never seen that happen in any game....and I play a lot of games.

Reactions: Steve101_

Steve101_

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2014
Interesting that they didn't cap frame rate when the game is paused. Rendering as many frames as possible can certainly result in 100% GPU usage.

What are the clock speeds on the GPU when it is at 81C? If they at or above the rated boost clock, then it is just trying as hard as possible, which is what you want it to do.

I'm going to do some more testing.. but for some reason today, the card didn't get too hot on borderlands, or MW however there was a 20gb MW update which may have improved performance.

On MW here was what After burner was saying - View: https://imgur.com/a/JOLRVnY

I have the settings maxed out and am playing at 1080p 75hz, yet i get around only 70fps in game.
It can climb to ~110fps away from the action or sometimes drop into highg 50's briefly in the middle of things, does this sound right?

You will most likley tell my CPU is bottlenecking big time and i do know this, i am planning on upgrading soon.
Could the CPU be the cause of the FPS rate?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
No clock speeds in your picture, so can't really say if it is throttling. The goal here is to see if the high temperatures are actually resulting in less GPU performance.

Yes, you do indeed have a bit of a CPU bottleneck, so the above isn't so important. Even if the GPU could run faster, it doesn't really need to at the moment. Certainly get more FPS with a faster CPU, in the meantime though, you could crank up some graphics settings and get a prettier picture without much detriment to FPS.

Could be as simple as it not going full throttle, so it is floating the higher temperature since it doesn't need to push it.

Solution

Steve101_

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2014

This was the clock speed, MSI seems to freeze when in on MW, for example, the fan speed on this picture is 71 even though on the readout that isn't frozen it is 79 as the original picture keeps polling whilst in game.
View: https://imgur.com/a/ZjX4S2G

Steve101_

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2014
Both would probably work. Core clock though. Memory should be able to go quite a bit farther. That will just take some testing.

Turns out these cards do this auto overclocking where it will push passed the limit if it can.

I've put 100 onto the core clock and 400 onto the memory clock, and limited the temp to 83 degrees whilst putting the power to 110%.

Seems stable after testing but i think i'll just have to live with it running at 81 sometimes during intense gameplay.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Right, that is why the temperature limit is there. Doing exactly what is asked of it as fast as possible. GPU overclocking isn't all that impressive anymore.

Water cooling and lower temperatures basically the only heavy enthusiast thing you can do without modifying the card to accept more voltage.

TRENDING THREADS