[SOLVED] Should (or can) I bother OC-ing this card?

Clueless1200

Reputable
Jul 5, 2016
Hey, PC noob here. I've almost finalized my first build and was just wondering if OC-ing this card would 1) actually make a noticeable difference and 2) be OK to do with this hardware, I'm not sure if the motherboard is particularly good for it. If the gain in performance would be negligible I won't even try it. I originally didn't even think I'd want to OC, but you never know.

This is the GPU, a "pre-overclocked edition", not sure why it says it's discontinued as I know someone who works there and they'll be getting more later. https://www.cclonline.com/product/2...-WHITE-8GB-Overclocked-Graphics-Card/VGA5631/

Rest of the build:

1 x NZXT H500 Mid Tower Gaming Case
1 x Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO AMD Socket AM4 Motherboard
1 x AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6GHz Octa Core CPU
1 x Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB (2x 8GB) 3200MHz
1 x Corsair TX650M 650W Modular 80+ Gold PSU
1 x Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB M.2-2280 NVMe PCIe SSD
1 x Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III SSD
1 x Seagate BarraCuda 2TB SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive
1 x TP-Link TL-WN881ND 300Mbps PCI Express WiFi
2 x Arctic F12 PWM 120mm Case Fan with PWM Control

I'd be gaming at 1440p with a 144hz monitor, Gigabyte AD27QD I think (already purchased).

Thanks in advance.

Solution
this card can certainly be overclocked. with gpu ocing the risks are nearly nonexistant but the gains arent great on nvidia cards(nvidia cards have gpu boost 3 and boost past the specs which is ocing by any definition so there may not be much headroom) and it is time consuming. there is likely quite a bit of headroom on the card for ocing pre overclocked just means a oc not a big one it could be an unnoticible amount. if you want to keep it simple crank the power slider mabee up the fan curve and leave it.

koson123

Prominent
Oct 12, 2018
this card can certainly be overclocked. with gpu ocing the risks are nearly nonexistant but the gains arent great on nvidia cards(nvidia cards have gpu boost 3 and boost past the specs which is ocing by any definition so there may not be much headroom) and it is time consuming. there is likely quite a bit of headroom on the card for ocing pre overclocked just means a oc not a big one it could be an unnoticible amount. if you want to keep it simple crank the power slider mabee up the fan curve and leave it.

Reactions: Clueless1200
Solution