[SOLVED] should the boot menu in my BIOS have Windows boot manager in it?

n00bguy84

Honorable
Dec 12, 2014
So I just did a clean install of Windows 10 home edition. I bought it from Microsoft and used the USB option. I used the USB to install windows onto a 4TB Samsun SSD.

My motherboard is an ASUS H170 Pro Gaming by the way. So you have some idea of the BIOS layout.

Over on the right is the boot menu where you can change the boot order. In the menu the SSD is listed twice, once as a Samsung 4TB SSD and again but it says Windows boot manager.

If I got to the advanced menu and go to the boot option and disable the boot manager it won't boot at all. My PC just goes to the BIOS.

Is this normal or ok? Is there a way I can fix this and make my PC boot normally without a boot manager?

Solution
So I just did a clean install of Windows 10 home edition. I bought it from Microsoft and used the USB option. I used the USB to install windows onto a 4TB Samsun SSD.

My motherboard is an ASUS H170 Pro Gaming by the way. So you have some idea of the BIOS layout.

Over on the right is the boot menu where you can change the boot order. In the menu the SSD is listed twice, once as a Samsung 4TB SSD and again but it says Windows boot manager.

If I got to the advanced menu and go to the boot option and disable the boot manager it won't boot at all. My PC just goes to the BIOS.

Is this normal or ok? Is there a way I can fix this and make my PC boot normally without a boot manager?

Boot manager loads your windows. Without it your...

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020

Boot manager loads your windows. Without it your windows won't load. Boot manager is essentially your drive where your OS is installed on. You should see something like Windows Boot Manager (name of your SSD).

So yeah it's normal that if you disable it, your OS won't load. You are disabling your main drive.

Therefore don't disable it. Leave it as priority #1.

Reactions: n00bguy84
Solution

n00bguy84

Honorable
Dec 12, 2014
Boot manager loads your windows. Without it your windows won't load. Boot manager is essentially your drive where your OS is installed on. You should see something like Windows Boot Manager (name of your SSD).

So yeah it's normal that if you disable it, your OS won't load. You are disabling your main drive.

Therefore don't disable it. Leave it as priority #1.

That's exactly what I see. It says Samsung the size of the drive and it also says boot manager

Alright. Thanks for the answer. I was worried there was something screwed up. lol

It's odd cause when I did my first install all the way back in 2016 I didn't have this issue. I mean I had some issues just not this one. lol

Of course I used disc and an optical drive back in 2016 and the copy of Windows I used was an OEM version.

Again thanks for the help.

Reactions: Jmusic88

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
I also want to say. There are reasons why you would disable/enable it. Let's say you are running dual OS.

You can disable it even when you are a single OS and still load your windows up from BIOS, but honestly there is no need. Just leave it there. What I said about you disabling your hard drive, it's not technically true.

Cheers.

Last edited:

n00bguy84

Honorable
Dec 12, 2014
I also want to say. There are reasons why you would disable it. Let's say you are running dual OS.

You can disable it even when you are a single OS and still load your windows up from BIOS, but honestly there is no need. Just leave it there. What I said about you disabling your hard drive, it's not technically true.

Cheers.

Well I already tried that and I couldn't. It wouldn't boot when I disabled the option that said boot manager.

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
Well I already tried that and I couldn't. It wouldn't boot when I disabled the option that said boot manager.

Disabling boot manager is not as simple as selecting 'disabled' from BIOS. You need to do a whole lot more within Windows, cmd commands, etc. People do it to speed up the booting process. But you have SSD, your booting now takes seconds. Not sure if you'll even notice the difference lol.

n00bguy84

Honorable
Dec 12, 2014
Disabling boot manager is not as simple as selecting 'disabled' from BIOS. You need to do a whole lot more within Windows, cmd commands, etc. People do it to speed up the booting process. But you have SSD, your booting now takes seconds. Not sure if you'll even notice the difference lol.

I don't need to be messing with that kind of stuff.