Should They Have Offered Me A Return?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 13, 2020
Any advice would be appreciated.
I purchased a PC (From a large company) costing over £4500 it came with a 3 year warranty. 1st year onsite and years 2/3 RTB.
I am now in my 3rd year and one of the case fans have become faulty.
I emailed the company and sent a short video of the faulty fan. They agreed it was faulty and because it was under warranty they would replace the fan. BUT I have to install the fan myself.
I have had a look at the cabling etc and it looks like a big job. The fan is one of 3 on a h100i radiator.
Because its just a fan are they right to say I have to install the fan myself.
Or should I ask because it’s under warranty for it to be returned to them and they fit the fan properly by experts?.

Ralston18

Titan
What are the terms of the warranty?

The warranty is the guiding document. Read carefully including fine print.

Make and model PC? Source company? That is important information because some companies have good reputations and some companies do not. Or did and now do not.

Sending the entire PC back is problematic in that who all knows what will happen on the way there, while there, and on the way back. May or may not come back working and with all the parts you sent....

For the most part, all that should be needed is to unplug a cable and remove a few screws. Pull the fan, and install the new fan.

Very likely that you know someone who could help with replacing the fan or will do it for some pizza and a beer. (Beer after the fix - "best practices".....)

Ask family, friends, co-workers. Take some internal case photos to show them. Get opinions.

Add photos to your post.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2173703/post-images-tomshardware-guide.html

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I purchased a PC (From a large company) costing over £4500 it came with a 3 year warranty. 1st year onsite and years 2/3 RTB.
I am now in my 3rd year and one of the case fans have become faulty.

So, you'd be on for shipping at least one way. Potentially both ways, depending on the specific terms of the warranty.

Because its just a fan are they right to say I have to install the fan myself.

Well, no - not based on the high level warranty terms you've described.

Or should I ask because it’s under warranty for it to be returned to them and they fit the fan properly by experts?.

You certainly could, as that's what the terms of the warranty that you've shared thus far should suggest.

However, cost prohibitive. Even to ship a system one-way, it's going to cost more than you could replace the entire cooler for...

Ultimately, replacing a fan is one of the more straightforward aspects of a PC 'repair'.
As Ralston suggested, add some pictures to your post - we can probably walk you through it pretty easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.