Should Update BIOS?

dontknownotsure

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
Hi, I have a P8P67 deluxe with bios 1502

Shouldd I update to 2103 simply because I have downloaded?
Is it worth risk bricking mobo for some unspecified improvement?

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
if their is no need for an update then their is no need to do that

but newer bios have some fixes, features, cpu support

risk is only power loss during update
and/or virus (when updating through window or in bios image file)

If you are not having any problems with your setup, I advise against it.
BIOS updates themselves have no direct bearing on performance improvement to a system. A BIOS is not a "Driver"
What they do is prepare configurations and settings that will allow for hardware settings and upgrades that may in turn realize a performance improvement. So in short, if you are not upgrading hardware and you will need the new BIOS revision to detect it properly, (like a CPU) or have a specific current problem that the BIOS update is going to fix, (and the revision notes will tell you if a bug has been fixed) it is pointless to update it.

Some people though just like the happiness of knowing they have everything up to date and current. But, just be sure you are comfortable doing it, because if you do screw it up, you could indeed be left with a dead motherboard. Its your call!

dontknownotsure

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011

I've been having fail to wake up from sleep (when overclocked)problem. Although I doubt updating bios would change anything as the version history dosn't said it would address this problem but im hoping it would somehow magically solve it. Or so as I am having internal debate with myself.

Last time I update the bios was a while before cougar point recall.