[SOLVED] Should you turn off Logitech speakers when not in use?

Apr 5, 2019
Hi I’m wondering if I should unplug my speakers when I’m not using them and plugging them in when I do want to use them. I’ve had them about 4 months and have kept them plugged in all the time. Also I hear a hissing noise when I put my ear up to the speakers and no sound is playing. Is it ok to keep Logitech speakers plugged in and on all the time?

Solution
It shouldn't really hurt anything either way. That said, the speaker output jack and/or USB port themselves could devolop a loose connection over time if repeatedly used. This would take quite some time though.

Kakarot07

Reputable
Sep 20, 2016
Do you mean plugged in your computer or the electricity ? If you meant electricity of course you should however no need to unplug from the connection device.

Last edited:
No power button on the system or remote? I'm using the Z-906 system, and there is a noticible faint hissing when PC is turned off and no signal being sent. This is normal with just about every speaker system. I just use the power button, no need to unplug.

Apr 5, 2019
No power button on the system or remote? I'm using the Z-906 system, and there is a noticible faint hissing when PC is turned off and no signal being sent. This is normal with just about every speaker system. I just use the power button, no need to unplug.
Do you mean you just use the power button to turn off the computer/monitor itself but don’t unplug the speakers?

Apr 5, 2019
Do you mean plugged in your computer or the electricity ? If you meant electricity of course you should however no need to unplug from the connection device.
The speakers are plugged into a computer monitor outlet in the back but there’s a light turned on the speakers to show that they are turned on even when the computer/monitor is off, so in this case the speakers can just be on all the time since they are connected to the monitor even though they’re still on when the computer is off?

Apr 5, 2019
I'm referring to the speaker system itself. Which model Logitech system are you using? I would think there is a button, know, or inline switch on speaker wiring itself somewhere to turn just the speaker system off.
No there’s no button to turn it off the only way to turn the speakers off is to unplug them. So should I unplug the speakers when not in use?

Apr 5, 2019
It shouldn't really hurt anything either way. That said, the speaker output jack and/or USB port themselves could devolop a loose connection over time if repeatedly used. This would take quite some time though.
So you mean unplugging and the plugging the speakers back each time could cause more problems rather than just leaving them plugged in?

Depends on how often you are unplugging them. If its everyday, then over time the connections would become loose, possibly before you change out your system. How long this takes though is anyone's guess. If its occasional, would be worried about it. Do you know the model number of your speaker system?

Reactions: arthurguy321
I have an older set of Logitech speakers at this point which actually draw a fair amount of power even when not playing anything, if left on. No noise, or anything. My Klipsch set on my HTPC are the same way. If you use something like a Kill-A-Watt, or a some other kind of meter to measure the power draw, you might be surprised at what many speakers draw if left on just sitting there idle.

Unplugging them is a pain though, so I use smart power strips. I have several around the house. The latest ones I've been ordering are Tripp-Lite, AV88SATG. I plug the PC into one outlet and when it turns off it kills power to the other outlets automatically. So when I turn the PC back on it turns those items back on. In the living room with the HTPC, there are times I might want the PC on, and everything else off, so I have the TV as the control. Something to look into. It costs a bit more than a standard surge protector, but they are convenient. At $30-35 they aren't horrible either.