Shouldn't charge battery to 100%

Dimitri001

Reputable
Oct 11, 2019
I've heard this in the past, does it hurt the battery to charge it to 100% or to keep the laptop plugged into the power outlet while working on it over a long period of time (so that it's constantly charging while at 100%)?

Keeping it plugged in and at 100% can reduce battery life. I’ve had a couple of laptops now that have a ‘batter care’ type feature allowing you to tell the laptop to stop charging at X%, usually about 80%.

In an extremely technical sense, yes, it does impact the overall lifespan of the battery. However, this impact isn't as bad as any other things regarding battery usage like using it down to 0% or the temperature the battery is exposed to. I've had plenty of portable devices that I kept on the charger all the time and they still lasted about as long as they would've new. Or if they degraded, they didn't degrade significantly enough for me to notice.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Lithium battery packs are managed. It is very unlikely that 100% is actually the maximum capacity of the battery pack, or that 0% is actually a fully discharged battery. This is called provisioning, and is what makes laptop batteries seem like they last as long as they do. They do slowly lose the ability to recharge to maximum, but until you dip below the artificial maximum, you won't notice.

I would say, don't worry about it. Let the laptop manage the battery. It will wear out when it does, and you can buy a replacement. Or, hopefully by that time, a new laptop anyway.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Anecdotally, my last few work laptops spend nearly 100% of their on time plugged in. Compared to people I know that attend meetings through most of the day and are constantly discharging and recharging my batteries always seem to outlast theirs with identical models.

If you are curious you can run powercfg /batteryreport /output "C:\battery-report.html" from Powershell and get some serious metrics about your battery.