shut down thirty min exact

Status
Not open for further replies.

auiki

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013
System shutdown after exactly 30 minutes. Very odd.
A couple things that I tried as well as some curious observations:

1) kept the computer in the bios for 30 min and it also shuts down
2) temperature seems fine. 30ish celsius idle when running windows. High forties @ bios.
3) tested all ram sticks separatelly and they all work fine.
4) bios recognizes all 32 GB of ram running @ 1333 ( not 1600 for some reason). Windows however only sees 16gb. Cpuz, @ windows sees 32gb.

All ideas / suggestions / troubleshooting more than welcome.

Im thinking... is any of my hardware rynning simething every 30 min (exact)? Maybe something with battery?

Thank you

Specs:
Intel i7 4770k
Asus z87 sabertooth
Gskill ripjaws 32GB 1600 ( 4x8gb)
Evga 770 geforce
Hx850 corsair psu
Samsung 256mb 840 pro ssd
Wd black 1tb
Asus CD player
Tlink psi wireless adaptor
Windows 8 64 bits pro

Solution
The thing is that if that occurs while in BIOS, and it occurs at exactly 30 mins then some sort of timer is running. It won't be anything relating to temperature or power since both would be shutting down the system at a not specified and exact set of time. So it must be BIOS or any other rom type software inside a chip or controller.
Is this happening on a new motherboard since you first installed it or it started to happen after a few weeks/months?
Try unplugging everything. Remove the motherboard battery for a few minutes and reset bios. Plug in the the motherboard on the PSU (preferrably another PSU, perhaps an old one which will still have enough power to boot a mobo-ram-cpu) with only the CPU, RAM and a keyboard on Also I don't...

Dags

Honorable
Aug 5, 2013
Might sound simple and common but try update motherboard firmware if it's not already up to date.

I found this at ASUS web site

Firmware
Version 1405
Description SABERTOOTH Z87 BIOS 1405
Improve system stability.
File Size 5.28 MBytesupdate 2013/08/29
Download from Global

That "system stability" improvement may have something to do with your problem.

auiki

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013

I tried to update the bios. No luck. Still shuts down every 30 min exactly.

Also tried a few other troubleshooting ideas:

1) Removed power from all sata drives and kept the pc on ( @ bios). Still shuts down.

2) Removed video card and kept computer on. Shut down after 30 min.

3) Removed case i/o connectors. No luck. Still shut down after 30 min.

I'm kind of running out of ideas. Let me know if you have any suggestions... happy to try.

Dags

Honorable
Aug 5, 2013
The thing is that if that occurs while in BIOS, and it occurs at exactly 30 mins then some sort of timer is running. It won't be anything relating to temperature or power since both would be shutting down the system at a not specified and exact set of time. So it must be BIOS or any other rom type software inside a chip or controller.
Is this happening on a new motherboard since you first installed it or it started to happen after a few weeks/months?
Try unplugging everything. Remove the motherboard battery for a few minutes and reset bios. Plug in the the motherboard on the PSU (preferrably another PSU, perhaps an old one which will still have enough power to boot a mobo-ram-cpu) with only the CPU, RAM and a keyboard on Also I don't know what firmware you motherboard came with, but if it wasn't the first version then you might want to give it a try just to make sure it is not a firmware bug which got inherited from one version to another.

Solution

auiki

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013

Agree with you. It has to be some sort of timer triggering it.

I tried to isolate the problem:
Pretty convinced that the problem is not with case, sata components, video card o wireless card. System shuts down even with theses component out /off.

Brand new motherboard, which could be just a faulty motherboard.

Today I updated the BIOS with the latest version. Mobo came with an older version ( not really olde -> from june)
I will try that: Remove battery then reset bios.

I will try the battery and bios reset.
Next probably use a different PSU as you suggested. PSUs are becoming smarter everyday and it wouldn't surprise me if there is some advanced controller inside it.

Thanks for the help. Will keep you posted

Dags

Honorable
Aug 5, 2013
I read again what you said about your ram modules in your first post. I can't think of how can this be related but you have nothing to lose if you try with 1 dimm installed only. And if it shuts down then try with another single dimm installed.

akalam700

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
i believed the problem with your ram that could not support to your device, please contact your nearest technical support they will rectify your issue. it will cost around Rs. 1200/- approx.

Slash22toly

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
Well, I have this problem too.
I unplugged all, hdd, Optical, internal batery, reset bios.... and in the exactly 30min turn off. (in bios, windows, DOS, Hirens boot, all)
I updated the firmware, and i didn´t repair the problem.

I´m lost with this problem

richev

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014
Were you ever able to resolve this issue? I am facing what seems like a very similar problem; shutdown after 30 minutes, even when in BIOS utility. I've posted details of the issue at http://superuser.com/q/808145/2909.

Thanks.

dobbies

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013

Hi Auiki

I wondered whether you ever found a solution to your 30 minute shutdown problem as it started doing it on my PC about a week ago even in BIOS mode. Exactly 30 minutes or 1800 seconds it dies.

Here is what I've done to try to resolve it, but without success:

Replaced the PSU.
Removed graphics card.
Removed and replaced individual 2x4GB ram sticks and also tried one stick at a time in alternate sockets.
Checked all core temperatures. (All normal)
Updated my ASUS H81i Plus motherboard BIOS to latest version No.2105

I'm sure this has to be an ASUS motherboard problem but it's getting their tech support to listen to what you have to say and could take weeks. I've looked at all the replies to your dilemma but no one seems to have the answer.

Any help would be appreciated.

dobbies

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013

Thank you for your speedy reply.

Not the answer I wanted but I already guessed this would be the only solution.

My board is just 12 months old and I definitely won't be replacing it with another ACER!!

Thanks

Many thanks

Costi

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015
The problem is the motherboard if its hm70 it will automatically shut down the computer every 30 min because the motherboard does not support i3/i5 and i7 processors

To stay on i3/ i5 and i7 procesor you need to have a hm77 motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.