Question Shutting down issue on Windows 11 system ?

Aug 11, 2023
Hi All,

Recently I have been experiencing some strange issues with my computer, running Windows 11:

When I shut down or reboot windows 11, after the shutdown sequence completes the power remains on my computer but all the hardware turns off (screen is blank, keyboard and mouse LEDs turn off, etc, but the power/GPU LEDs & fans stay on) after this I have to hold the power button down to force it to complete the shutdown sequence as the reset button is not working (works in other circumstances). The system went straight to bios after I turned on the computer again by pressing the power button. I have to press F1 to go in Bios and leave bios in order to start the computer.

Please see the specs of my computer below:

System Windows 11 OEM
Security: Norton 360
Motherboard: Asus Prime Z790-A
CPU: i9-13900K - No Overlocking
Storage:
  1. Samsung SSD 980 PRO 1TB - Storing System Files
  2. Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB
  3. Western Digital wd4005fzbx-00k5wb0
GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB

RAM: 64GB in total: 2 sets of G.Skill 32GB( 2X16GB) Kits DDR5 Trident Z5 RGB C36 6000 MHZ Black (F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK -XMP enabled to 6000. (tried to disable XMP, the issue remains), tried with 1 set of 32GB kits, the issue remains)

Power Supply: EVGA Super Nova P5 850W Platinum Fully Modular Power Supply (220-P5-0850-X4)
Cooler: Noctua NH-U12A

I tried to shut it down in the safe mode and everything is fine. I have had this issue since the first day I assembled this computer. This issue doesn't happen all the time. I reinstalled Windows 11 a few times due to this issue. This issue doesn't happen all the time, the first month of win11 reinstallation it may happen only once, the second month it happens 2-3 times, the third month it happens 6-10 times, etc.

Can anyone please have a look and let me know how to resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance,

Ben

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2023

Colif

Win 11 Master
curious if it happens if you shutdown from safe mode. Would tell me if any drivers involved.

shame it involves 3 restarts just to get into safe mode.

1. from desktop, go to settings/system/recovery
  2. Next to Advanced Startup, click restart now
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose startup settings
  7. click the restart button
  8. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  9. Pc will restart and load safe mode

did you try the other set of ram just in case?

Aug 11, 2023
curious if it happens if you shutdown from safe mode. Would tell me if any drivers involved.

shame it involves 3 restarts just to get into safe mode.

1. from desktop, go to settings/system/recovery
  2. Next to Advanced Startup, click restart now
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose startup settings
  7. click the restart button
  8. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  9. Pc will restart and load safe mode

did you try the other set of ram just in case?
Hi Colif, I tried to shut it down in the safe mode and everything is fine. Just want to add to my previous post, i got this issue since the first day i assembled this computer. This issue doesn't happen all the time. I reinstalled windows 11 a few times due to this issue. This issue doesn't happen all the time, the first month of win11 reinstallation it may happen only once, the second month it happens 2-3 times, the third month it happen 6-10 times, etc.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

It doesn’t delete anything, it just stops non Microsoft programs running with start. Easy to reverse.

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

startup programs can add to shutdown processes. It shouldn't cause PC to stay on though...

Safe mode is less stress on hardware. It also includes no drivers so it could be a driver to blame at shutdown. Working out which one might be interesting...

Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Can you take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

I see if anything erm... obvious. Not sure what I am looking for but anything that talks to bios could be at fault.

using any old hardware?

Aug 11, 2023
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

It doesn’t delete anything, it just stops non Microsoft programs running with start. Easy to reverse.

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

startup programs can add to shutdown processes. It shouldn't cause PC to stay on though...

Safe mode is less stress on hardware. It also includes no drivers so it could be a driver to blame at shutdown. Working out which one might be interesting...

Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Can you take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

I see if anything erm... obvious. Not sure what I am looking for but anything that talks to bios could be at fault.

using any old hardware?
Hi Colif,
I followed the instructions and did a clean boot, shut down and start normally, issue didnt occur. please see a screen of all the non-windows drivers below
please let me know if the link works
No old hardware, everything is about 2 years old

Colif

Win 11 Master
if it worked okay after a clean boot, it could be one of your start up programs.

Do you have any Asus programs running for instance? I assume armorycrate is running

slowly, over a number of restarts, add the programs back to startup and only add another once you sure its stopped.

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
Hi Colif, I tried to shut it down in the safe mode and everything is fine. Just want to add to my previous post, i got this issue since the first day i assembled this computer. This issue doesn't happen all the time. I reinstalled windows 11 a few times due to this issue. This issue doesn't happen all the time, the first month of win11 reinstallation it may happen only once, the second month it happens 2-3 times, the third month it happen 6-10 times, etc.
Check your device manager for 'unknown devices'.

If you find any, let me know and I'll show you a trick to get the drivers detected and installed.