Question Shutting down PC every night.. Bad idea?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rhaemond

Reputable
Apr 25, 2019
I've seen posts that a PCs lifespan actually deteriorates due to shutting it down overnight and turning it on in the morning... Is it really advisable to just leave it running 24/7 compared to turning it off when not in use?

Another, would temperature actually affect the PCs lifespan? I've read that if you shut down your PC, it cools the parts and then when you turn it on it heats em up again making the parts wear down... Is this true? I have an air conditioned room...

Thanks for any replies. I've been leaving my PC overnight to download games via Steam and Amazon and have seem to be experiencing no problems from it. But I'm hoping for an expert/experienced response. Thank you again!

Last edited:
Reactions: zodz77

irbrenda

Reputable
Dec 4, 2018
I built my own PC in 2008 with 3 HDDs and it's still up and running 24/7, still running Vista Ultimate only because of my business. And this has had a heat issue for many years when the weather warms up, but it hasn't suddenly shut off or had more than a few BSODs over all these years. I keep the side off now for the sake dissipating heat. It's probably suffering from some dust disease now. I don't want to put the whammy on it now, but I'm sure after I post this, it will die!

Reactions: DMAN999

Rhaemond

Reputable
Apr 25, 2019
Alright, I'm thankful for all the replies I've received here. Sorry for the late reply.
From what I've gathered, there's no conclusive proof that leaving it on or turning it off at times really damages or affects the PC's lifespan in a very alarming way. Either way, again, I'm very thankful for all the replies!

Alright, I'm thankful for all the replies I've received here. Sorry for the late reply.
From what I've gathered, there's no conclusive proof that leaving it on or turning it off at times really damages or affects the PC's lifespan in a very alarming way. Either way, again, I'm very thankful for all the replies!
it may affect your electricity bill more but not really like...to the point of it's ridic like 100 more dollars a month or smth different but I use to leave my laptop on at all times bc of some issues it had my mom never complained about the bill so I hope that means it didn't increase too much xD + not sure if this is the same but my xbox one has become a theater instead of a gaming console bc I watch a lot of stuff on it and I assume that also draws watts so shouldn't be that bad!

A device like a laptop should have relatively low power draw though, since they are designed to run on battery power, where efficiency becomes more important.

A console's power draw should be more like that of a lower-end gaming PC. I think the Xbox One and One X draw around 60 watts at idle, a bit more when playing back video, over 100 watts when gaming (closer to 200 watts for the One X), but significantly less when in standby, and the One S draws around half as much as the original version.

Reactions: AngelTech