Shutting Off Wii U During Massive Update Bricks Console

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

5 GB? That is huge, twice more than downloading Windows 8 RC.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Seems like Nintendo had a bit of an oversight on what happens when you turn off the console during an update. Hopefully they get together and fix it so you don't brick the thing when you turn off the console during update. Preferably a small quick solo patch before any other update so this happens less.

Beyond that all I have to say is I am happy I haven't gave my family member wifi to their Wii U yet or else were probably be one of these people with a bricked Wii U. Little kid + probably 7 hour update on our connection, yeah I can guarantee you he would probably turn off the console thinking it was broken. Heck I would if it didn't tell me how much was being downloaded i would assume it just froze.

Nintendo should warn users if unusually large updates are pushed. Windows always warns about the same issue during updates, and for a PC there is always a way to restore it without having it sent in to the manufacturer.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Do think it's bad that this happened to anyone, but at the same time, you are willingly taking a risk ignoring the warning. You're not supposed to speed. Everyone speeds and no one seems to ever get caught. Can't really be mad if you speed though and are the unlucky one to get caught. Not a one-to-one example, but the warnings are there for a reason. Beside, isn't there usually a way to cancel the update before just shutting the system off? Or just show some patience and let it finish updating. It's not like a computer that you likely have a dozen other things you can do o it. Do feel bad for those who now have shiny new bricks, but like I said, ignoring warnings is a gamble you take at your own risk.

TheViper

Distinguished
It's only 1 GB (882 MB to be exact)

And removing the power from any device while installing a firmware update can render them bricked. This is not a Wii U problem but an electronics device problem.

That's why they have warnings on all of them.

[citation][nom]j2j663[/nom]So this is a report from one guy?[/citation]

Worse. Apparently it's a report based on one twits tweet about how he ignored the warning and bricked his device. (and I am sure plagiarized like all Toms news articles)

Yes it's a bad design but why on earth would you shut it off? And i am sure it.was installing something at the time not just downloading. That's his own fault

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Talk about lazy engineering.
I'd expect that from something made in Detroit, but not from a Japanese company.
Let's hope this is only a single mishap and not a sign of declining engineering quality.

brianvan

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
Doesn't it download the update first, verify the checksum and THEN actually do the firmware update? Good god if that's not the case.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Nintendo has always made is super clear not to turn off the console just during saves, so I can only imagine how clear they make it not to turn off the system during an update. Although, if it can take hours, does the warning message actually notify the user that the update could take that long? If not, then it's definitely something Nintendo dropped the ball with; and I'm sure they will rectify the oversight.

G

Wait, there's no little red button you push in with a paper clip to restore factory defaults? And have their coders ever heard of a Progress Meter? Maybe a little visual cue would help here, that's why you don't skip the UI Design phase of your project. This is just such failure, Nintendo is seriously slipping.

G

That's why you don't make 5GB updates, and you put enough ram in the darn thing so the whole update loads into memory before being installed. Nothing can be bricked this way.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
5GB update? That's not an update. That's a whole new OS! Shockingly poor design from Nintendo here. I love their games, but I would be absolutely furious about such a large and time-consuming update. I want game consoles to be ready the moment I'm sitting down to play. I hate it when they pop up ridiculous mandatory updates several GB in size (that's aimed at you too, Sony). Get out of my way and let me play my games. Some days I really miss simpler systems like the SNES or PS1.

G

If an update is that massive Nintendo needs to release a Disc to update the device or smart card download from a PC. Alla Service pack style. I know its a bit old school but lets face it I would rather have to pay $5 for an update disc then risk bricking a new console. Also worth noting that this shows a lack of quality control or even a readiness for market at Nintendo. The Rush for a holiday release was probably a mistake on their part given the evidence that the console over promised and under produced what they released. The updates should have been given more time and not been a part of their advertising blitz when the system was just NOT ready yet (AS ADVERTISED)

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]For a PC there is always a way to restore it without having it sent in to the manufacturer.[/citation]

Bios updates can brick your PC. No device is magic, if you are modifying boot stuff, you can brick it. It's questionable how Nintendo could release a product like this, poor system architecture to be sure, but every system can have this problem if, and there are real design tradeoffs in solving it.

G

Nowhere near 5GB, whats with this shady reporting? Its less than 1 GB

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Well no kidding any frimware update you should never turn off during ther middle of the update without the risk of bricking the system. Thus is why they always have warning signs to not run off your device during an frimware update. Nintento should prevent people from turning off their systems during an update and give them a message saying system cannot be turned off during an update so it will be almost idiot proof to brick it due to user era.

Status
Not open for further replies.