Shutting Off Wii U During Massive Update Bricks Console

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

billgatez

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
The guys over at PC perspective powered there WiiU off during the update and it was fine. These people are probably shunting off there console well it's changing important files.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]TheViper[/nom]It's only 1 GB (882 MB to be exact)And removing the power from any device while installing a firmware update can render them bricked. This is not a Wii U problem but an electronics device problem.That's why they have warnings on all of them.[/citation]

Oh look, someone who knows what they're talking about is actually here. Go ahead, turn off a device during a firmware update on anything that isn't a high end motherboard specifically designed to deal with a corrupt firmware, see what happens. The only reason you're saved with a dual BIOS is because there's a backup, dual BIOS is not common and is not necessary for someone who isn't an idiot.

Why is it released in this state? You realize these were built months ago? Everything needs an update when you first get it going. I'm not saying Nintendo had a great idea here, they are pretty new with the whole open internet thing. They should have broken it up, but that may not be possible depending on the update. Good luck finding a console or any product really that doesn't have starter issues. Don't buy the console in the first few months and you'll be rewarded for your patience. As far as N goes, they are a Japanese company and tend to make up for their mistakes. I'm sure they'll suck up the cost of bricked systems. Sony on the other hand would blame the stupid consumer for not following directions then cry their way to bankruptcy.

TheViper

Distinguished
[citation][nom]nameon[/nom]Are you kidding me, with just this Nintendo have basically shut themselves out the African market and a lot of other developing countries whose power grids always had problems!!! I just had 5 power cute in 3 days!!!![/citation]
So you think that the next production run of the console won't already have the update on the console?

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
[citation][nom]nameon[/nom]Are you kidding me, with just this Nintendo have basically shut themselves out the African market and a lot of other developing countries whose power grids always had problems!!! I just had 5 power cute in 3 days!!!![/citation]

As if they can afford it.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]TheViper[/nom]It's only 1 GB (882 MB to be exact)And removing the power from any device while installing a firmware update can render them bricked. This is not a Wii U problem but an electronics device problem.That's why they have warnings on all of them.[/citation]
exactly what i was thinking, if firmware's being upgraded then this is a given.

[citation][nom]theconsolegamer[/nom]Welcome to yesterdayThose who bought the 8GB version because they though it was the cheaper option are up to some serious butthurt LMAO[/citation]

You can buy a 64 GB SD card for 30$. Unlike Microscrap and Sony, Nintendo sticked away from the HDD and I think they did a good decision with today price of flash memory.

[citation][nom]invlem[/nom]I doubt its actually bricked, people jump to conclusions way to fast, give Nintendo a day to figure it out, there's always some sort of back up protection to stop things like this from happening.[/citation]
Foxconn made the hardware, so I think they are not dumb enough for going back to the stone age of the motherboard design... just to say...

Something similar happened when i was doing update on my PC... it is far from only being the Wii U problem.

A firmware update can brick almost any device if the unit is powered off in the middle of the update. This is not something new to just the Wii U. And his console warned him not to shut off the unit until the update was done he choose to ignore the warning he is to blame not Nintendo.

Miharu

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
It's a 1gb update. It's take me 1h30 downloading on a 1Mb/s connection and apply the update. It's long but there is a warning "Don't turn off your Wii U". They also LOCK the power button. Ben Fritz should no complain about this... he's the STUPID in all this. "Why don't just remove the power cord during a major update... seem safe". Yeah!

G

@Miharu, don't make excuses for nintendo. This is pure stupidity on their part. First of all you can update something without having to update the firmware. You need to be trained to update firmware. And kids aren't trained to do that. If the power goes out , you could have a serious problem. And these firmware updates are usually small, and they happen fast. A 800 mb update is totally ridiculous for a console. If you are talking about firmware that is being updated. But heck, who knows what nintendo did. If they have standard OS updates that just brick that easily. You can't excuse that.

Especially when consoles are just meant to play games. Not be computers. It should be console non OS based to start initially. And then you choose the OS if you don't want to play games. Or it boots up the game regardless of OS to start. Something like that. So if OS does become corrupt. You can do it in non OS mode. Lots of things I can think of. You don't call people stupid for bad engineering where users should not have to update consoles to play games. It's not a computer.

G

It's like these new consoles revolve around updating. And the internet. And gaming is steadily declining because people in are new generation are being easily amused by these gimmicks. And so what, gaming companies don't have to work as hard to make good games anymore. Yeah, if this was 15 years ago, updating crap and downloading crap for 1 hour and 30 mins straight to install 800 mb to play games on a console. It was just released. Don't give me this crap that that the whole system is that fragile and should fail on something that is not important because of their USERS. When it is on the manufacturer to make things right in the first place and not have such a huge fragile update to their system. It's not a computer, it's a gaming system. They need to engineer so it does not easily break. Then again, nobody cares anymore, and everyone goes through the extensive process of systems being revolved around the internet and updates 24/7. They have taken the internet way over granted with this generation of gaming. Time to go back to when nintendo was simple. Like Super Nintendo.

G

I bought the Wii U for my kids for Christmas and decided to update last night so they can play right away on Christmas morning. I followed the advice of most by putting the system right next to my router. The download and update took just under an hour with no problems. I also have Verizon Quantum so my download speeds are very good. Thanks for the tips.

G

Is it possible that, my bricked Wii u is on.... so could it still be downloading while its bricked? Because no software or hardware i know of... would ever do this while the system is updating... it must just be a glitch... or nintendo should have not released it like that... anyways is my scenario possible?

G

It's worse than this reports indicated. If you agree to the update there is always a chance of a power outage, but more importantly if you decline there have been reports of it updating in the background anyway so you won't know to not turn it off. The average user would likely say "no" to a big update during a thunder storm. Just wait until the rainy season hits in spring: The bricks will pile up!

Status
Not open for further replies.