Shuttle’s SX58H7 Ultra-Portable Core i7 Platform

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
I can't find any info anywhere (here, Shuttle's site (including the manual for this case), Newegg) what CD/DVD-ROM drives it supports. Where did you get the Lite-On LH-20A1L, 20X DVD±R? It isn't on Newegg.

The case appears to have a slit for it and no removable cover. So, I don't understand why there is zero info about what you need to get.

G

nice!
In such a small case a C2Duomakes more sense, to view HD video and TV.
Also for personal gaming a 4Core could do.
But as an i7 in there,seems a bit too much power for such a small box.
I haven't read the whole article, but can only guess that the cooling isn't top there!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]etrnl_frost[/nom]There's no way that this can house a GTX 295 without overheating. The heat inside the case would just melt everything together into one big pile of slag.[/citation]

I don't know who gave your response the thumbs up but I'm relying on braver people to cancel it out. The GTX 295 runs cooler in the Shuttle system than a GTX 260, probably because only the left side of the card has any air restriction. BOTH of those graphics cards pull air out of the case and blow it out the rear panel, so its possible for them to actually COOL the system.

The only surprising part is power supply capacity. Everything else is "big" enough for whatever graphics you'd want to throw in it.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]chjade84[/nom]I'm not quite sure I believe those temperatures unless they were tested outside the case, in which case it's irrelevant. Those temps surpass the Noctuna and Vigor coolers which is not only hard to believe seeing what Shuttle uses but also may just be impossible.I built 8 i7 920's @ 3.2GHz with Vigor Monsoon III LT's and they ran in the 38-42c/65-70c range.Of course since you decided to gauge temperature as "Degrees Above Ambient" instead of just degrees, who knows what your temps really were... (I assumed 24c room temp)[/citation]

It says right on the chart that the temperatures reported are the ABOVE AMBIENT temps, so its ambient PLUS what you see. For most users that's 21-25C PLUS what you see, depending on how warm your office is. They definately DON'T beat a high-end cooler, they don't even beat the Intel boxed cooler, but the closed Shuttle system does get close to the temps of an Intel boxed cooler on an open platform.

If the coolers you quoted can't keep up with the Intel boxed cooler, why use them?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]average joe[/nom]I will read a few other reviews but as I stated above. This is amazing work out of shuttle its its real. I have a home office with 3 systems in it. One is a Antec Full Tower monstrosity. Which has a AMD 64 single core in it running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise. It is literally 5 feet tall and used only for testing purposes like once or twice a year. The other is a Dell Power Edge T300 running Debian 5.0. This is my new toy. Talk about overkill.My main system is a dumb looking mid tower with all kinds of neon crap on it and ~95 fans. I caved to my gamer nature when I selected it. It was never intended to be in this office and I'm a little embarrassed by it if a client stops by. This little shuttle would give me back my desk and still run a decent game without making me look like I'm permanently 14 years old.[/citation]

If you speak of desk space, remember that the footprint of a Shuttle system is almost as big as that of a full tower. The Shuttle system is around 6-8 inches shorter, but that only really matters of your desk lacks depth.

[citation][nom]etrnl_frost[/nom]Agreed, with the two PCIe x16, it's definitely not an HTPC. It can be USED as such...My personal take: I LOVE the idea of the heatpipes and relocating the CPU heatsink. I'm contemplating seeing if I could apply the same thing to my HTPC at home. However, I'm absolutely serious about using two single slot cards or one of the SLI'd/Crossfired cards in there. They recirculate the heat back into the case, and are not nearly as effective at exhausting it outside the case. As such, a configuration like that...To put it simply, I had a case with VERY GOOD cable management (routed cables behind the mobo), used a 200mm and 120mm fan for exhaust, and a 120mm for intake. About 160CFM's at full blast. Threw in a 9800 GX2, and consistently was hitting 90degC on the GPU; on intensive games I could bat 100degC. The CPU was also affected, going up to 80degC at points. Simply using a cardboard heat shield to redirect the recirculated air out of the case - now I'm about 50degC at CPU and it's rare to crest 80degC on the GPU.As stated previously, you stick a GTX295 in there, you're going to melt that thing.[/citation]

You speak of two single-slot cards getting the inside of the case hot and have a good point, since those don't exhaust their own heat. However, your commend about "melting the thing" with a card that does exhaust its own heat is nonsense. Seriously, it doesn't make any sense whatsoever. For example, you'd be better off with an HD 4850 X2 (Sapphire makes them) BECAUSE it exhausts its own heat than you would with two HD 4850 single-slot cards.

Furthermore, the system WAS retested with a GTX295, read the conclusion.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]truerock[/nom]Too much legacy crap on the motherboard. I'll stick to Intel mini-ITX.[/citation]

You mean the Ultra ATA connection? Disable the controller and you're done. If you can't pretend it's not there, you have problems that a tech site can't address.

[citation][nom]DXrick[/nom]I can't find any info anywhere (here, Shuttle's site (including the manual for this case), Newegg) what CD/DVD-ROM drives it supports. Where did you get the Lite-On LH-20A1L, 20X DVD±R? It isn't on Newegg. The case appears to have a slit for it and no removable cover. So, I don't understand why there is zero info about what you need to get.[/citation]

The case has a spring-loaded, hinged optical bay door as indicated in the article. The Lite On drive used is now a legacy product, but the case's eject button works with the majority of available optical drives.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]i dunno, im not a fan of custom PSU's, cases and motherboardsoh btw what sort of memory config is that? tri channel? or just dual?[/citation]

"Removing the drive tray allows easy access to four DDR3 memory slots, three of which are configured for triple-channel mode."

johnsmithvag

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
Is this some kind of joke article? I have an i7 in my pc-v351 case and its not ugly as sin and isn't somehow newsworthy.

I guess article advertisements are the new thing at toms hardware.

Respect - 100

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]johnsmithvag[/nom]Is this some kind of joke article? I have an i7 in my pc-v351 case and its not ugly as sin and isn't somehow newsworthy. I guess article advertisements are the new thing at toms hardware.Respect - 100[/citation]

Uh, what planet are you on? You didn't realize this was a review, at a review site? Like any other review? Like the motherboard roundups, but without 6 different brands because there aren't that many Core i7 mini PC's?

ah good catch there crashman! and welcome back - long time no see?

and who here has had a system with custom fittings break and force you instead of an $80 replacement part turn you to a (mostly) new rig at beyond $380?

Yet again i put foward the voting complaint - are yous stupid or something? crashman writes a quote from the article to answer me and somehow thats a negative vote? wtf

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]ah good catch there crashman! and welcome back - long time no see?and who here has had a system with custom fittings break and force you instead of an $80 replacement part turn you to a (mostly) new rig at beyond $380?Yet again i put foward the voting complaint - are yous stupid or something? crashman writes a quote from the article to answer me and somehow thats a negative vote? wtf[/citation]

There's a problem with a small but loud group of readers-aka the FUD crowd-who believe that such as small system can't possibly support the things that this article show it supporting. They'll vote against any proof that they're wrong, rather than voting on the accuracy or honesty of a post.

They don't want to see a fair comparison to a larger board if that fairness puts the smaller system in a good light, and will instead call any such fairness, when it's possitive, a blatant advertisement. The only outcome they would find acceptable is a negative one.

In other words, if you have integrity you're seen as a sellout. And if you sell-out to their POV, they'll say you have integrity. Thus, this small group of haters should be ignored except in cases where their rants might influence the uninformed.

etrnl_frost

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
[citation][nom]Crashman[/nom]You speak of two single-slot cards getting the inside of the case hot and have a good point, since those don't exhaust their own heat. However, your commend about "melting the thing" with a card that does exhaust its own heat is nonsense. Seriously, it doesn't make any sense whatsoever. For example, you'd be better off with an HD 4850 X2 (Sapphire makes them) BECAUSE it exhausts its own heat than you would with two HD 4850 single-slot cards.Furthermore, the system WAS retested with a GTX295, read the conclusion.[/citation]
First off, you know as well as I do that the "melting the thing" is an exaggeration. :)
I did miss that sentence in the conclusion (stating power consumption and temps) - I recognize the data collected was mostly on the 260 aside from that brief interlude and the bit at the beginning about size.
However, you can't tell me that the GTX 295 is not going to be recirculating air into the case. I can't speak for the Radeon, as I have not used the 4870x2, but unless you tape up the massive side vent on the top of the card, it's going to be recirculating air. Now, in my experience with a well ventilated case, that's enough to cause heat problems with the rest of the components. Perhaps the GTX 295 had a redesign on their reference cooler that I wasn't aware about, or the case was open when this was tested (for some silly reason), so that the recirculated air did not matter as much? Or maybe my experience has been tainted by a bad card? Could be a number of things. However, I'm not going to deny my personal experience:
1: The dual slot reference cooler for the dual pci cards (nvidia) recirculates air into the case, heating up all internal components
2: SFF cases, by their nature (whether it be constricted air space or lack of cable management), have an overall higher internal temp.
I'm betting that the temps they took to get the 44degC idle? It's an open air test, no case - or case with the side panels removed, etc.

etrnl_frost

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
[citation][nom]Crashman[/nom]There's a problem with a small but loud group of readers-aka the FUD crowd-who believe that such as small system can't possibly support the things that this article show it supporting. They'll vote against any proof that they're wrong, rather than voting on the accuracy or honesty of a post.They don't want to see a fair comparison to a larger board if that fairness puts the smaller system in a good light, and will instead call any such fairness, when it's possitive, a blatant advertisement. The only outcome they would find acceptable is a negative one.In other words, if you have integrity you're seen as a sellout. And if you sell-out to their POV, they'll say you have integrity. Thus, this small group of haters should be ignored except in cases where their rants might influence the uninformed.[/citation]
I completely agree with you, but don't assume that all the "loud readers/FUD crowd" aren't willing to accept certain things. I haven't called this an advert., but I have already stated my experiences. If someone chooses to buy this case and run with a GTX295, or the 4870x2, I'd be more than happy to hear their success - if it does run cool, I'd like to replace my current HTPC build (Antec nsk1380). With the two fan swaps I've done in an effort to not get temps high enough to cause artifacts when gaming, it's loud enough to be useless as a HTPC.
Some of us, Crashman, are critical because it's in our nature. That doesn't mean all of us are unwilling to accept results. The more results, the better, but if it's a single result and it's an outlier, well... PS apache - I almost had my 9800 GX2 cook my q9650. That could have been a $350 part :D

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]etrnl_frost[/nom]I completely agree with you, but don't assume that all the "loud readers/FUD crowd" aren't willing to accept certain things. I haven't called this an advert., but I have already stated my experiences. If someone chooses to buy this case and run with a GTX295, or the 4870x2, I'd be more than happy to hear their success - if it does run cool, I'd like to replace my current HTPC build (Antec nsk1380). With the two fan swaps I've done in an effort to not get temps high enough to cause artifacts when gaming, it's loud enough to be useless as a HTPC.Some of us, Crashman, are critical because it's in our nature. That doesn't mean all of us are unwilling to accept results. The more results, the better, but if it's a single result and it's an outlier, well... PS apache - I almost had my 9800 GX2 cook my q9650. That could have been a $350 part[/citation]

I'm sure it was tested closed and found GPU +44C over ambient, under full GPU load. I know this because I tested it :)

I only have a few test notes for the GTX 295: 275W system power under full GPU load, 400W with GPU+CPU full load (425W peak), 300W when the game bench stalled due to CPU overhead from Prime95 (eight threads). It's been so long since I tested it that I can't remember with precision anything that's not in the test notes.

etrnl_frost

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
[citation][nom]Crashman[/nom]I'm sure it was tested closed and found GPU +44C over ambient, under full GPU load. I know this because I tested it I only have a few test notes for the GTX 295: 275W system power under full GPU load, 400W with GPU+CPU full load (425W peak), 300W when the game bench stalled due to CPU overhead from Prime95 (eight threads). It's been so long since I tested it that I can't remember with precision anything that's not in the test notes.[/citation]
Well, that explains a lot. Also,

etrnl_frost

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
?!? Also, it appears Tom's swallowed my post! I was going to say that while I caught the +(over ambient) on the graphs, I didn't recognize that in the conclusion. So I thought you were getting 44degC on the GTX295 which made no sense at all. +44degC, as you stated, is completely agreeable with everything else I've seen.

Shortening my eated post, ;), how long did you test the 260 and 295 in the shuttle? My antec nsk1380 has a 9800GT in it, and with the OC and modded fan settings (reference cooler, single slot w/ an antec cyclone to exhaust the recirculated air), it stays in the mid to high 60's. At load, it will peak around high 70's - for the first hour. After about 2 hours it will actually go up past 80degC and artifacts will appear (this is under heavy load, of course, like Crysis or Fallout 3). How long did you test? Did you see if it was truly stable, or did it inch up?

I'm more than tempted to move to that case for my next PC. Whenever that is. I like small but powerful things :)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I tested the GTX295 at stock CPU settings because hey, it's only a 500W power supply. For an hour. Do you really think 2 hours was needed?

I'm not sure this "ringer" GTX295 graphics card can live for a 2-hour stress test due to factory overclocking, and I might have to reprogram it with retail firmware.

etrnl_frost

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
2 hours? Maybe, maybe not. You'd probably be the best to answer that. Say, if there was a slight incline of, say, 1 degree every 10-20 minutes or so (est.) that was pretty consistent, then it might take a while for it to really stabilize.
My real gaming rig stabilizes pretty quick, depending on the sequence that's playing, it will hit max temps in around 10 minutes or so, and it takes about just as long to cool to its minimum after playing. The HTPC, like I said, is fine for the first hour, but right around 2 hours it starts to hate itself. It also takes around half an hour to reach its idle temps after a session.
Admittedly, at a point it becomes moot, though - realistically, how long are people going to be using this for more than 4 hours at a time, for example? Although that's probably why you tested it for only 1 hour, eh.

janiceatshuttle

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
How about WINNING one of these?

We're giving away a Shuttle SX58H7 (the platform this H7 5800 is based on), Intel Core i7 processor, NVIDIA 3D Vision Kit w/Samsung gaming monitor and 3D glasses, Razer gaming gear including Lycosa keyboard and DeathAdder mouse, Fast & Furious on Blu-ray/DVD, and more.

Check out the details here: http://bit.ly/13ZGl4

etrnl_frost

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
Or you can just give it to me, I'll run it through some nasty tests (Last Remnant, Crysis, Fallout 3, etc. etc.) and then I'll do some thermal probing, and then I can vouch for you guys as an Antec man turned Shuttle. In the past 3 years I've built 5 computers with Antec cases... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.