[SOLVED] Side mounted radiator?

Solution
Hmm... Thermaltake View 71, huh? Side mounted radiator... I assume this is going to the cpu and not the gpu...
:unsure:

A)Side mounted intake
Your cpu will run cooler, but the gpu would likely run warmer now, because the exhaust is being brought into the chassis.
What about the front fans alongside that? Front intake wouldn't change anything, front exhaust wouldn't either... probably would be best to seal that side off, as I think it's useless now.

B)Side Mounted Exhaust
Yikes, I think this one is even worse.
-Cpu wouldn't run as cool as sample A
-Due to it's proximity, the gpu is fighting against the rad exhaust, as well as getting some of it's own exhaust sucked right into it, so now the gpu is getting most of it's cool air from the...
A top mount would be better given what I can see. Without knowing what case it is, it's hard to pass judgement. But given the visible branding I'd say it's a Thermaltake. Which is not a good brand for cooling. They consistently screw up their air flow. One of their new cases literally has a fan mounted to a solid plate...

As far as it screwing up the airflow. Considering the number of other fans visible (assuming they are all populated) then it shouldn't make much of a difference.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I have an AIO and I want to mount the radiator to the side of the case like in this picture (This is also the case I'm using):

https://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/ProductImageCompressAll1280/11-133-359-V08.jpg

My question is: will I mess up the airflow in my case by doing this? My temps are running fine right now. I honestly just want to do it because I think it looks nice. My radiator is currently mounted to the top of my case.

Thanks!
Nothing wrong with that do it and recheck your temps under load.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
If the case is designed for it, you can do it. If it isn't, you shouldn't. One case designed to do this is the Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic.

pc-o11-dynamic-razer-black-image-04-600x600-1.jpg

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm... Thermaltake View 71, huh? Side mounted radiator... I assume this is going to the cpu and not the gpu...

A)Side mounted intake
Your cpu will run cooler, but the gpu would likely run warmer now, because the exhaust is being brought into the chassis.
What about the front fans alongside that? Front intake wouldn't change anything, front exhaust wouldn't either... probably would be best to seal that side off, as I think it's useless now.

B)Side Mounted Exhaust
-Due to it's proximity, the gpu is fighting against the rad exhaust, as well as getting some of it's own exhaust sucked right into it, so now the gpu is getting most of it's cool air from the rear.
The front fans... ugh, who am I kidding, this is just terrible - I'm not continuing any further.

The front and top are the better locations for a rad in this chassis.

Solution
Jun 12, 2020

A)Side mounted intake

B)Side Mounted Exhaust
-Due to it's proximity, the gpu is fighting against the rad exhaust, as well as getting some of it's own exhaust sucked right into it, so now the gpu is getting most of it's cool air from the rear.
The front fans... ugh, who am I kidding, this is just terrible - I'm not continuing any further.

The front and top are the better locations for a rad in this chassis.

Great response thanks! You essentially confirmed what I was worried about and why I hesitated to mount the rad that way. I love almost everything about this case, but it just bugs me a little that there's so much empty space in that area of the case. Not enough to compromise the airflow of my case though.

I apologize to everyone for not specifying the case that I'm using. This poster is correct, it is a thermaltake view 71

Jun 12, 2020
Hi everyone,

I decided to take the advice of a poster on this thread and just give the side mounted radiator a try and test it. I wanted to share the results in case any of you all are interested:

I tried three configurations, ran my pc under load for 10 minutes and got the average temperature. Here are the results:

Here are my specs:
Core i-9 9900k
ASUS Rog Strix Z390 E-Gaming
32 GB ram
MSI GTX 960 (planning on upgrading this soon)

Thermaltake view 71 Case
Two fans in front (intake)
One fan in the back (exhaust)

Top mounted/Exhaust:
CPU: 68 degrees
GPU: 64 degrees

Side mounted/Exhaust:
CPU: 66 degrees
GPU: 65 degrees

Side mounted/Intake
CPU: 66 degrees
GPU: 64 degrees

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
So, generally the same result overall with a very small percentage difference between them. The +/-2 degrees Celsius could be due to just about anything running at the time and is close to negligible, assuming all tests were given the same run-time as one another and your ambient room temperature was identical for all tests (which does make a difference).

Sounds like you can choose the mounting location you want without issue.

Reactions: Phaaze88