[SOLVED] Side panels or new case?

Jan 23, 2021
I've just 'upgraded' my daughter's computer with a cheap facebook marketplace effort, took a hit on the case not having either side panels in order to secure a good price for the components...
Irritatingly the case itself is old and no longer sold and finding specific or suitable side panels seems impossible with my limited knowledge of such things.

I'm left with two options, either I replace the case entirely and transplant the components (which leaves me in the sea of cases and compatibility related headaches) or I find currently available side panels that will fit an older case (which leave me in the sea of side panels and sizing/installation headaches).

Please, please, kind people of Tom's Hardware... help a well-intentioned but flailing father out...

The case currently used appears to be one of these https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/legacy-products/cases/cm-690-ii-ver-2/#image-Item1
(Based on the less than helpful code on a sticker on the back of the case)

Solution
Nice option but like you say, finding one does seem to be an issue lol!

Any thoughts about this one being able to fit everything?
https://www.ebuyer.com/989981-aero-cool-cylon-gaming-case-white-accm-pv10013-21
It's an ATX case, so the motherboard should fit. There doesn't seem to be much front ventilation though, so temperatures will be pretty bad.

Here's a list from PC Parts Picker that might be helpful as well:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/case/#X=0,5572&t=1,3&f=2&sort=price&page=1

I'd look for something with a mesh front .
Jan 23, 2021
Thanks, that was literally the only place I could find anything directly compatible but they only have the right side available and shipping was 150% more than the item itself...
I guess I'm hoping someone with better understanding of these things than me might be able to point me towards somewhere I can find something compatible even if not directly FOR the current case or suggest a budget case alternative, normally I just waste the next week of my life googling until I find something but I'm already drowning in dimensions and component model numbers so had no choice but to reach out for help lol.
Really appreciate the quick reply though, thanks :)

Thanks, that was literally the only place I could find anything directly compatible but they only have the right side available and shipping was 150% more than the item itself...
I guess I'm hoping someone with better understanding of these things than me might be able to point me towards somewhere I can find something compatible even if not directly FOR the current case or suggest a budget case alternative, normally I just waste the next week of my life googling until I find something but I'm already drowning in dimensions and component model numbers so had no choice but to reach out for help lol.
Really appreciate the quick reply though, thanks :)
Whats you budget for a new case?
With better airflow this time

Jan 23, 2021
Ideally as cheap as possible lol (I guess to put a number on it - sub £50!)... my issue with finding a new case is making sure everything will fit, it seems a minefield of compatibility. The current one houses:
i7 3770k
EVGA 1060 3GB
500 GB SSD
2 TB HDD
650W PSU
Asus P8B75 motherboard (all 4 ram slots used)
Corsair liquid cooling for the CPU (not sure of the model, it's a single fan one though)

I'd like to have scope to upgrade eventually (The graphics card in particular). Really kind of you to help me out.

Jan 23, 2021
Sadly it's much more expensive over here lol (£92 so $120!!), it's good to see alternatives that I can use to start building up an idea of the key criteria I'll need for my 'transplant'... do you mind me asking what specifics you used in locating that one?
Things I've noticed so far with my lame efforts are terms like 'mid-tower' and motherboard compatibility?

Jan 23, 2021
My usual go-to for benchmark pricing would be one of the following:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Sadly it's much more expensive over here lol (£92 so $120!!), it's good to see alternatives that I can use to start building up an idea of the key criteria I'll need for my 'transplant'... do you mind me asking what specifics you used in locating that one?
Things I've noticed so far with my lame efforts are terms like 'mid-tower' and motherboard compatibility?
The made 2 versions of that motherboard so you need to list all the letters at the end. One is a V the other is a m/csm

M/CSM is a mATX.

V is a regular ATX.

Reactions: Dj0gany
Jan 23, 2021
Thanks everyone, like I say I drowning in model numbers and terminology at the moment lol...

Took the spec from the listing but just checked the system info and apparently it has a P8Z77-V installed!

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Ideally as cheap as possible lol (I guess to put a number on it - sub £50!)... my issue with finding a new case is making sure everything will fit, it seems a minefield of compatibility. The current one houses:
i7 3770k
EVGA 1060 3GB
500 GB SSD
2 TB HDD
650W PSU
Asus P8B75 motherboard (all 4 ram slots used)
Corsair liquid cooling for the CPU (not sure of the model, it's a single fan one though)

I'd like to have scope to upgrade eventually (The graphics card in particular). Really kind of you to help me out.
A fairly good budget case. Your 120mm AIO cooler should fit right in the back and will work with either motherboard.

RAIDGoblin

Reputable
Jan 10, 2021
This is probably not a helpful reply, but if you're trying to do things cheap and you have any knowledge of metal work you could make sides for that case

start with a piece of sheet steel, cut holes and use purchased fan grills for the vents, don't worry about the sliding system for fixing the sides on, just drill 4 holes in the corners and thread tap matching holes in the case frame, put a strip of sticky-back rubber between the side and the case to stop any rattles, then spray the whole thing matt-black and it wouldn't look bad

Jan 23, 2021
This is probably not a helpful reply, but if you're trying to do things cheap and you have any knowledge of metal work you could make sides for that case

start with a piece of sheet steel, cut holes and use purchased fan grills for the vents, don't worry about the sliding system for fixing the sides on, just drill 4 holes in the corners and thread tap matching holes in the case frame, put a strip of sticky-back rubber between the side and the case to stop any rattles, then spray the whole thing matt-black and it wouldn't look bad

Funnily enough, I've just started exploring getting some cut to size sheets of perspex and using them as panels... I wish I hadn't taken the hit on the panels in order to get the machine as cheap as I did really but I thought it would be easier to resolve (lmao) Admittedly it probably would be if I wasn't clueless about hardware...