[SOLVED] sign of a dying psu?

w1418826

Honorable
Mar 25, 2015
I tried to open the game planet coaster and it immediately goes black screen and restarts the entire system. I recently added a rtx 3080 to the system, the psu is a 750w bronze. the entire system should only be pulling like 500w max in my estimations (cpu is a 3700x).. The psu is about 5 years old.
Other games run fine such as hunt showdown, ive played that for hours, I ran thps1+2, ive played l4d2, nothing too extreme but it all runs fine. temps are all good as well. gpu runs at about 75c . i know 750w psu is the minimum requirement for the 3080 and im just wondering if this is a sign that it needs more power or maybe its just a dying psu.

I was lead to think its a psu issue because of a steam forum post with a similar issue with the same game. I believe this is the psu i have: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=110-BQ-0750-V1

Solution
There have been problems reported with higher-end 30 series GPUs and these kinds of budget PSUs. I'd replace the PSU even without the crashing; given the power spikes of a 3080 and how much it costs even at MSRP, it should be a top-tier PSU or bust.

I'm a little concerned that you're buying something that costs $2000 on eBay without knowing the most important bit of information in making this upgrade, your exact PSU. This is a formula for losing a lot of money!

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
There have been problems reported with higher-end 30 series GPUs and these kinds of budget PSUs. I'd replace the PSU even without the crashing; given the power spikes of a 3080 and how much it costs even at MSRP, it should be a top-tier PSU or bust.

I'm a little concerned that you're buying something that costs $2000 on eBay without knowing the most important bit of information in making this upgrade, your exact PSU. This is a formula for losing a lot of money!

Solution
What exact psu? However a bronze rated psu is probably of inadequate quality to handle the very rapid power spikes of the 3080. The quality of the psu is equally important as the wattage rating.

I’m actually running a 3080 and 3700x perfectly fine on a 650w psu but it’s a top quality 650w (Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum).

Edit: An EVGA BQ is not the level of psu you want with a 3080, you need a higher quality psu.

w1418826

Honorable
Mar 25, 2015

been running fine, the other dude said hes got it running on a 650w psu, didnt think id have issues with a decent amount of headroom. but i take note of the concern and will most likely be grabbing a new psu. if i could show you another link to a possible psu upgrade please, if you could let me know if it is good enough:

https://www.amazon.com/NZXT-C850-NP...ild=1&keywords=psu&qid=1625374841&sr=8-9&th=1

been running fine, the other dude said hes got it running on a 650w psu, didnt think id have issues with a decent amount of headroom. but i take note of the concern and will most likely be grabbing a new psu. if i could show you another link to a possible psu upgrade please, if you could let me know if it is good enough:

https://www.amazon.com/NZXT-C850-NP...ild=1&keywords=psu&qid=1625374841&sr=8-9&th=1
The 'C' series from NZXT are rated very high, but I have no personal experience with them. Should be much better than the EVGA unit you have now. Be sure to use all new cabling that comes with the NZXT model. Do not re-use any old power cables from the EVGA.

w1418826

Honorable
Mar 25, 2015
It's not just a wattage issue. It's also a topology issue and overall quality issue.

ok now im starting to be a bit concerned for the overall system. as i was scrolling through hwmonitor i noticed while i was in a game my system ram got extremely hot, it says one stick got up to 171c! could this be a psu bad power delivery type issue? i dont want components to start dying

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
Yo
I tried to open the game planet coaster and it immediately goes black screen and restarts the entire system. I recently added a rtx 3080 to the system, the psu is a 750w bronze. the entire system should only be pulling like 500w max in my estimations (cpu is a 3700x).. The psu is about 5 years old.
Other games run fine such as hunt showdown, ive played that for hours, I ran thps1+2, ive played l4d2, nothing too extreme but it all runs fine. temps are all good as well. gpu runs at about 75c . i know 750w psu is the minimum requirement for the 3080 and im just wondering if this is a sign that it needs more power or maybe its just a dying psu.

I was lead to think its a psu issue because of a steam forum post with a similar issue with the same game. I believe this is the psu i have: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=110-BQ-0750-V1
Your PSU is old and budget. You need a better PSU.
Never cheap out on PSUs because they're the ones that save your PC from any damages due to overvoltage