Question Signal Booster vs LTE modem w/antenna?

oguruma

Prominent
Jul 1, 2022
I'm looking to hook up a networking setup for an RV. The goal is to create as usable of an internet connect as is feasible.

I'm going to add an (probably Teletonika) LTE router that has external antennas. I'm trying to decide if it's worthwhile to add a signal booster, as well?

I'm concerned only with getting good connectivity to the LTE router; I'm not really concerned with increasing the signal to nearby users' cellphones.

Assuming the LTE router had the same antenna configuration as the Signal Booster, would there be any benefit to even adding a Signal Booster?

But what exactly is a "signal booster" . From the devices I have seen some are outright scams and other are just antenna. Now you might get something for a cell provider that acts a small cell tower but as you suspect and of these devices will not actually receive a better signal than your router itself. What I would look for is what is called a Log-periodic yagi antenna. They make ones tuned to the common cell tower frequencies. It is a directional antenna so keep that in mind, you will have to repoint it everytime you move your rv.

Note these type of antenna are in the gray area of being legal in the USA. You can use them if the cell company gives you permission BUT no cell company will actually give you the legal paper work you need if you somehow caused interference. You generally can legally buy them in any country using them is a different question.......then again I have never heard of anyone getting a fine or arrested for using them.

oguruma

Prominent
Jul 1, 2022
But what exactly is a "signal booster" . From the devices I have seen some are outright scams and other are just antenna. .....in any country using them is a different question.......then again I have never heard of anyone getting a fine or arrested for using them.

There are a couple popular models in the Overland/Offroad community, WeBoost being the most notable, that do seem to work. Although I've never used one. That have antenna that are mounted outside the car/RV, and then amplify and re-broadcast whatever signal they can. They can be expensive - $500ish. So if I can achieve the same thing with an LTE Router with an external antenna, I'll forego the booster altogether.

There are a few areas that I camp that are out in the "boonies" where I get an almost usable signal with my phone. I just want to get a usable LTE connections for basic internet use. 5/1Mbps would probably be sufficient for my needs, honestly.

I'm almost wondering how much the difference in signal would be between a cellphones internal antenna, and a decent onmidirectional antenna...

A would try the antenna first I have seen them for about $30. You might need 2 and you would mount 1 horizontal and the other vertical. This is sp mimo works better but it depends on how many connectors your router has.

Be very sure they are actually cell antenna connectors and not wifi. Because it is not exactly legal many router manufacture do not make it easy to connect antenna. You generally can disconnect the internal antenna from the motherboard and use a short coverter cable to hook up a coax based antenna.

The device you talk about is likely not legal if it actually receives then amplifies and retransmits the signal. It is the amplifies part that causes the problem. The cell company has licensed the tower frequencies and nobody else is allow to have equipment that transmits on those frequencies.
This means these "booster" likely do not have things like FCC or whatever the EU is equivalent approval. Without these government orgs checking the stats you have no idea what you are buying.....and people making illegal devices may or may not be honest when it comes to selling stuff.

Antenna are pretty simple not as much a violation as a actually transmitter.

oguruma

Prominent
Jul 1, 2022
A would try the antenna first I have seen them for about $30. You might need 2 and you would mount 1 horizontal and the other vertical. This is sp mimo works better but it depends on how many connectors your router has.

Be very sure they are actually cell antenna connectors and not wifi. Because it is not exactly legal many router manufacture do not make it easy to connect antenna. You generally can disconnect the internal antenna from the motherboard and use a short coverter cable to hook up a coax based antenna.

The device you talk about is likely not legal if it actually receives then amplifies and retransmits the signal. It is the amplifies part that causes the problem. The cell company has licensed the tower frequencies and nobody else is allow to have equipment that transmits on those frequencies.
This means these "booster" likely do not have things like FCC or whatever the EU is equivalent approval. Without these government orgs checking the stats you have no idea what you are buying.....and people making illegal devices may or may not be honest when it comes to selling stuff.

Antenna are pretty simple not as much a violation as a actually transmitter.

Thanks for the input. The areas I'd be using it in would be way "in the boonies" so I'm not overly concerned about getting in trouble, or causing any harmful interference.