Silent, But Deadly: Build Your Own Gaming-Ready 0 dB PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
I was disappointed there wasn't actual stress test temperature results of the APU for the passive cooling solution.

But otherwise it's a neat article, personally I would sacrifice dead silence to use a cheaper HDD and perhaps more of those silent fans if I were to build one myself.

Nintendo Maniac 64

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
As someone that also uses a semi-passive PC (fan only turns on when needed), I'm disappointed that you guys left out a few big things:

1. undervolting the CPU and GPU

2. underclocking and farther undervolting the GPU for 2D mode

3. hybrid cooling setup for GPUs where the fan only turns on at a high temperature (may require GPU BIOS editing depending on GPU model)

OPTIONAL (due to risk): removal of CPU IHS

Pentium G2120 + Sapphire Ultimate HD7750 would have been a better choice. And you can pay extra for a low-power Core i5 instead since it's not that expensive compared to the rest of this build.

ivyanev

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
When i hear gaming from the TH I really expect to see something in the realm of 500$ SBM machine or at least something close. What I see here is realy nice office pc.

Nintendo Maniac 64

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012

The main issue is the GPU, and that would require a hybrid passive-active cooling solution much like was done for the CPU, but for some reason they didn't even try such a thing...

abbadon_34

Distinguished
Silent PC (Gaming) is simple. Large passive water cooling such as the Zalman Resevator on the CPU and GPU, and anyother components needing heat dissipation. I've done this for the last 8 years, not for the silence, but because it's nice to see the temp never stray from 40-45, and never worry about cooling again.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
I'm a fan! (and I make a LOT of noise) :D

By the way, I own two of those Samsung Blu-Ray drives and the blue LED in the button is overly bright. I would NOT want to set that case on my desk.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
One more thing. I like bottom mounted power supplies because I like a low center of gravity on my builds. However, I prefer the top mounted PCI slots. The video cards not only look better with their coolers on top, but the heat rises off the video card and into the video card cooler making it more effective, especially in a build without air movement.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
1. undervolting the CPU and GPU
This is always possible but each CPU/APU and GPU is a unique piece. Undervolting 10 APUs can can give you 10 different results. If it works with higher voltage it works also with undervolting. But I must check the worst case and only 100% stable settings. :)

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
The BD (tested with Avatar 3D) runs only x8 and is NOT loud. You can add another model or remove it complete. It was used to install a few games only :D

no love for sapphire's passive ultimate HD 7770
Sapphire was not able to deliver. No cards as sample or to buy in shops (Europe). I can only use what I get.

morpheas768

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]abbadon_34[/nom]Silent PC (Gaming) is simple. Large passive water cooling such as the Zalman Resevator on the CPU and GPU, and anyother components needing heat dissipation. I've done this for the last 8 years, not for the silence, but because it's nice to see the temp never stray from 40-45, and never worry about cooling again.[/citation]
I was always interested in using large water cooling systems like this, but for some reason they are so hard to find, that its a real pain to get them. I guess it helps if you live in the US, but thats not the case for me.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
What about liquid cooling? Use a large fan-less radiator, or that 750 RPM fan on that radiator, which could either be external or mounted on an exhaust vent.

Status
Not open for further replies.