silent majority please speak out against steam

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 02:34:04 GMT, "Mox 13" <nospam@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>Ok, this is the only time that I am going to write on this subject. I have
>watched this debate for months with no desire to get involved. I don't
>believe that my voice, or the voices of a few others will have any effect on
>Valve/Steam's market strategy.

You'd be surprised at how one voice can make a difference. And for
those that have any issue with Steam, they should be sending letters
to Valve HQ.

While posting in here is interesting and provides some insite into
other peoples concerns, I'm not sure anyone from Valve is in here.

> Apparently the overwhelming majority of
>posters on this group support Valve and Steam.
> I have no interest in
>debating them or getting into a war with them. They must have an internet
>connection fast enough to take advantage of the things that Steam offers. I
>am simply not in the same boat and have no real choice in the matter. I live
>pretty far from the nearest town, therefore DSL, Cable, or Wireless internet
>is not available in my area.

My local newspaper had an article on hi-speed connections. South
Korea has something like 80% of users with hi-speed, and they get
around 5mbs downloads.

Whereas in the US it's only around 30% and they get 3mbs downloads.
30%? I would think that a lot of gamers in the US would be sending
off letters to Valve HQ.

> Also the phone lines are pretty old so my dial
>up connection runs at a steady 26.4 Kbps. I don't see Satellite internet as
>a viable option due to expense, FAP, and lack of online gaming. This means
>that for me, on a fresh install of HL2 the updates take about 12-15 hours.
>Buying a game online would probably take about a week to download. This is
>simply too long to tie up my connection. If Valve/Steam would just allow
>stand alone downloads rather than only online installs it would help
>greatly. I could download them on a computer in town and transfer them to my
>computer at home.

Are you talking about d/l the files in town and then burning them to a
CD? But even then, there's still many other gamers like in the US
that probably don't have the same access to a hi-speed connection that
you do.

If Valve sticks with Steam, they really need to find a work around for
'all' modem users. Whether its to order the update via CD/DVD, or
provide the updates in gaming magazines, thru 3rd party, ....

sayNO2steam [authentic] wrote:
> i'll wait until thursday march 31 2005 for those 10 replies

..... as I write, it is the morning of Friday 1st April...

....all is quiet on the western front...

.... has this been an elaborate April Fools Day joke?
.... is SayNO actually playing bass to Gabe's lead guitar?
.... or is he waiting to pounce...?

.... there is a clock ticking in the background, marking out the
seconds, that will become minutes and then hours. How long wil this
eerie silence last, broken only by the slow tick... tock... of the
clock?

.... I wait...

....tick...

....tock...

jethro

Distinguished
May 5, 2004

OldDog wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 02:34:04 GMT, "Mox 13" <nospam@earthlink.net>
> wrote:
>

>>Ok, this is the only time that I am going to write on this subject. I have
>>watched this debate for months with no desire to get involved. I don't
>>believe that my voice, or the voices of a few others will have any effect on
>>Valve/Steam's market strategy.
>

> You'd be surprised at how one voice can make a difference. And for
> those that have any issue with Steam, they should be sending letters
> to Valve HQ.
>
> While posting in here is interesting and provides some insite into
> other peoples concerns, I'm not sure anyone from Valve is in here.
>

>> Apparently the overwhelming majority of
>>posters on this group support Valve and Steam.
>> I have no interest in
>>debating them or getting into a war with them. They must have an internet
>>connection fast enough to take advantage of the things that Steam offers. I
>>am simply not in the same boat and have no real choice in the matter. I live
>>pretty far from the nearest town, therefore DSL, Cable, or Wireless internet
>>is not available in my area.
>

> My local newspaper had an article on hi-speed connections. South
> Korea has something like 80% of users with hi-speed, and they get
> around 5mbs downloads.
>
> Whereas in the US it's only around 30% and they get 3mbs downloads.
> 30%? I would think that a lot of gamers in the US would be sending
> off letters to Valve HQ.

<snip>

Actually it's even less. (Data I keep for answers to the "Everyone has
cable, dude." remarks
http://www.cabledatacomnews.com/cmic/cmic16a.html
"The total number of residential cable modem and DSL subscribers in the
U.S. and Canada topped the 32-million mark at the end of June 2004"

Approx US population 293,000,000
Approx Canada Pop 32,500,000
http://www.census.gov/ipc/www/idbsum.html

That makes it about 10% of North American population has broadband.
--
Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
Reply Email: jethro86 (at) gmail (dot) com

OldDog wrote:
> Speaking of 4/1 and the guitar, my daughter takes bass guitar lessons
> every Friday. Today, we went into the music place and was chatting
> with the manager and the instructor.
>
> I told both of them that we had to leave 15 mins early cause we had
> drove downtown. They both looked at me and said ok. I then
> preceded to tell them why.
>
> I explained that our family had won the Texas lotto ($33 million) and
> had to be downtown for a press conference. While I'm saying this
> with a straight face, I'm watching theirs.
>
> The bass teacher is a young lady of about 22yrs, the manager is in
her
> late 40s. I guess the manager doesn't get out much cause she just
> nodded her head and said wow. The younger lady titled her head and
> sort of gave a look that said, "I've been lied to, hit on, and told
> more stories than the number of stars in the sky."

I trust you did this in the morning... if you do it after midday, the
Fool is yourself.

On 1 Apr 2005 00:11:56 -0800, "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>sayNO2steam [authentic] wrote:
>> i'll wait until thursday march 31 2005 for those 10 replies
>

>.... as I write, it is the morning of Friday 1st April...
>
>...all is quiet on the western front...
>
>... has this been an elaborate April Fools Day joke?
>... is SayNO actually playing bass to Gabe's lead guitar?
>... or is he waiting to pounce...?
>
>... there is a clock ticking in the background, marking out the
>seconds, that will become minutes and then hours. How long wil this
>eerie silence last, broken only by the slow tick... tock... of the
>clock?
>
>... I wait...

Speaking of 4/1 and the guitar, my daughter takes bass guitar lessons
every Friday. Today, we went into the music place and was chatting
with the manager and the instructor.

I told both of them that we had to leave 15 mins early cause we had to

On 2 Apr 2005 04:01:14 -0800, "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>OldDog wrote:
>> Speaking of 4/1 and the guitar, my daughter takes bass guitar lessons
>> every Friday. Today, we went into the music place and was chatting
>> with the manager and the instructor.
>>
>> I told both of them that we had to leave 15 mins early cause we had
>> drove downtown. They both looked at me and said ok. I then
>> preceded to tell them why.
>>
>> I explained that our family had won the Texas lotto ($33 million) and
>> had to be downtown for a press conference. While I'm saying this
>> with a straight face, I'm watching theirs.
>>
>> The bass teacher is a young lady of about 22yrs, the manager is in
>her
>> late 40s. I guess the manager doesn't get out much cause she just
>> nodded her head and said wow. The younger lady titled her head and
>> sort of gave a look that said, "I've been lied to, hit on, and told
>> more stories than the number of stars in the sky."
>
>I trust you did this in the morning... if you do it after midday, the
>Fool is yourself.

Oh I don't need to wait for midday to make a fool out of myself. I'm
pretty good at it anytime. ;-)

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic Mox 13 <nospam@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Apparently the overwhelming majority of
> posters on this group support Valve and Steam.

You're wrong. The overwhelming majority of this group hates SayNo2Steam
so much that they'd be willing to buy HL2 just to spite him, even if they
don't even like FPSs in the first place.

Steam was pretty unpopular here until SayNo2Steam made himself even more
unpopular.

> Since Valve/Steam has abandoned the unconnected, or connection challenged
> users, my future dollars and I'm guessing a few other peoples dollars,
> euros, yen, etc. will be going on game platforms that are a bit more
> friendly to us.

I hope enough people decide the same way. That's the only way to convince
Valve to change their policy. (Although you might want to let them know
how their policy affects you and their sales.)

mcv.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic Johnny Bravo <baawa_knight@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:11:40 GMT, Kurt Montandon
> <kurtmontandon@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>>The sheer amount of time and effort you've devoted to this excercise
>>in electronic masturbation makes it clear that you're a little boy -
>>probably about 15 - expressing frustrations about something
>>essentially unimportant in a very, very annoying fashion.
>
> Or even more horrifying, he's 35 and doing this.

I refuse to deal with a world where he can be a day over 15.

In message <425162e2$0$153$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>, mcv
<mcvmcv@xs3.xs4all.nl> writes
>In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic Johnny Bravo <baawa_knight@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:11:40 GMT, Kurt Montandon
>> <kurtmontandon@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>>>The sheer amount of time and effort you've devoted to this excercise
>>>in electronic masturbation makes it clear that you're a little boy -
>>>probably about 15 - expressing frustrations about something
>>>essentially unimportant in a very, very annoying fashion.
>>
>> Or even more horrifying, he's 35 and doing this.
>
>I refuse to deal with a world where he can be a day over 15.

Welcome to Usenet, the modern Neverland, where annoying little boys need
never grow up.
--
John Secker

John Secker wrote:
> In message <425162e2$0$153$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>, mcv
> <mcvmcv@xs3.xs4all.nl> writes
> >In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic Johnny Bravo
<baawa_knight@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> Or even more horrifying, he's 35 and doing this.
> >
> >I refuse to deal with a world where he can be a day over 15.
> >
> Welcome to Usenet, the modern Neverland, where annoying little boys
need
> never grow up.

My money is still on 13, although I'm considering something under 10.
But not in a Michael Jackson way.

Matthew Collins

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013
Valve manages to silence anyone that has anything negative to say against them even when Valve is in the wrong. Any threads that contain things that have information about games that would give the game a bad image or a possible non-sale that is on Steam and other such topics on forums even such as this one itself that point out what is going on, get flooded with Valve supporters shoveling pointless and idiotic comments that aren't even related to the topic, to the point where people use the complaint of it's a troll topic and the usual horse shit, that the moderator will close/delete it giving the reason it's trolling or some other bullshit.

What's interesting is how the moderators never enforce the off topic posting forum suspensions/bans to those people flooding the topic with that garbage, but are quick to remove the people that spoke out against Valve.

The whole situation on that end is absolutely ludicrous. And even more so, a lot of websites have this whole comment is awaiting moderation crap which is unconstitutional which does in fact apply to the internet

In the case of Reno v. American Civil Liberties Union, the U.S. Supreme Court declared speech on the Internet equally worthy of the First Amendment’s historical protections. I also want to point out that the sites rules located in this link below are not above the federal laws either (In fact no site on the internet is) and changing the terms of service because someone posted something that staff do not like, so that staff can then say what someone posted is against the rules, also violates the first amendment act. (The comment is actually grandfathered in)

http://www.tomshardware.com/terms.html

The whole problem with people on the net in general, is because they think they're anonymous, they think they're above the laws and violate them regardless just because there is no one watching them to take action against them at the time they pull this crap. So the people on websites continue being violated and the people violating the victims continue getting away with it. This is one of the reasons people track people down on the internet and take matters into their own hands through violence, calling swat, beatings or whatever. Which I commend people for doing. It's funny how people only want to sympathize for the perpetrator AFTER the victim gets their revenge, but not one person pays any attention to the victim when it's happening to them, and also make excuses for the perpetrator's actions towards the victim. So this is the end result and I'm glad victims do that, the people provoking get exactly what they deserve since everyone seems to think it's some big joke to torment people on line and be discriminatory towards them and all sorts of other heinous acts. It's ok for people to be tormented, but it's not ok for people to defend themselves..RIGHT!!!

Furthermore In the USA it is illegal to suppress all of a comment type/review or any information a consumer could use to make an informed decision about a product. Having all positive or all negative anything about a service/product/program/..etc is illegal under Federal consumer regulation shown in the link below

https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/statutes

And even after posting the actual laws, cases, and proof and show the Supreme courts rulings in these matters, Valve reps and Steam lovers continue to totally disregard what the laws say posting even more inane and useless comments about how that doesn't matter and all other sorts of horse shit, that once again the forum moderators do nothing about.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Moderator
Well, I was going to complain about you reviving a 10-year-old thread, but the quite comical attempts to pretend to have a legal background and the conspiracy theories are perhaps worse. Even for Fake Internet Lawyering, your reference to Reno v. ACLU is impressively flawed.