Silicon Image Develops Super-Small WirelessHD Chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
That's rather impressive. 60 GHz means a wavelength of ~5 mm, so a 1/4 wavelength antenna can fit several times on a 10 x 7 mm chip. Pretty amazing that this works, given the max switching/transition speed of Si-based transistors.

Onihikage

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
Holy smokes. This basically makes it possible to use a PC monitor or TV as a second/alternate screen for your mobile device. Which basically means a Windows 9 or 10 phone could literally be all you needed - use mouse/keyboard/monitor at home, then "sleep" your phone and take it all with you, just to link them back up at work or a friend's house. Very nice to have a single chip to make it possible.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Onihikage[/nom]Holy smokes. This basically makes it possible to use a PC monitor or TV as a second/alternate screen for your mobile device. Which basically means a Windows 9 or 10 phone could literally be all you needed - use mouse/keyboard/monitor at home, then "sleep" your phone and take it all with you, just to link them back up at work or a friend's house. Very nice to have a single chip to make it possible.[/citation]

if we also stagnate everything for 5-7 years also, they may be just powerful enough to match a mid range intel chip

seriously, the internet changed so much that my old P4 when it was new could handle websites, but by the end... it couldn't even handle one site open at a time without crapping itself.

-------------

that said, i want to know if this is as good as the wiiu version which transmits the info from the wiiu to the tablet with less latency than the wired connection to the tv.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
My secondary work machine is a P4-3.6 with 1GB of RAM and it can handle internet and Office tasks just fine; it is mostly used with a remote desktop connection to a more power machine, but that is more because the databases it deals with are offsite and I am remote'ing in to that location.

I'd guess that a format and fresh OS install would get your P4 back to being a solid machine for internet/email and other basic duties.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]rosen380[/nom]My secondary work machine is a P4-3.6 with 1GB of RAM and it can handle internet and Office tasks just fine; it is mostly used with a remote desktop connection to a more power machine, but that is more because the databases it deals with are offsite and I am remote'ing in to that location.I'd guess that a format and fresh OS install would get your P4 back to being a solid machine for internet/email and other basic duties.[/citation]

the motherboard on that machine crapped out after i believe 5 years of 24/7 use.

and it wasn't a os thing, i fresh installed that every so often, but 1 youtube video, it would make it it 100% utilization on even the lowest setting, lets strip flash out altogether, a few websites without flash would also bring the processor to its knees.

that doesn't but even than, i still used it like it was i5

Onihikage

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012

There's only so much processing that we will ever need done at any given time. The lower computing and power limitations of mobile devices are causing a shift in how people develop applications, there's more emphasis on efficiency rather than relying on more powerful hardware to mitigate resource hogging apps. There will still be plenty of use for desktops when it comes to developers and enthusiasts, but I think the average user will be satisfied with the computational ability of a phone-sized device 10-15 years from now. Come on, a $400 phone today can do what a midrange laptop could 8 years ago. A midrange laptop today is enough for anyone who isn't gaming or producing (though a midrange laptop today can even render video without much difficulty, if it has the RAM), and have you seen the graphics that some of these mobile games are starting to show off? Once you get past a certain level, one just doesn't really *need* any more computing power.

Give it a decade, maybe two, it will happen, especially with the kind of tech this article talks about, and with the unified kernel that Windows is moving towards.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
The P4 I have here, with youtube, was hitting about 50-60% utilization when playing a video-- once it was done buffering [but still playing], it dropped to ~10%.

The P4 seems capable of handling it, maybe a hardware fault on your machine? Granted, the P4 I have here is one of the more recent ones [passmark 470]. The earliest [non-mobile] P4s have a Passmark of just 164

Status
Not open for further replies.