Sill overclocking question.

Solution
D
Try backing that voltage down a little. You really don't want to go over 80C on the cores when stress testing. I skipped from Sandy Bridge to Skylake so I haven't overclocked Haswell to tell you some exact settings to fine tune but I'd bet there are guides for your specific motherboard that might help. 80C under stress ensures safe long term temps at all load levels.

khashayar2000

Respectable
Jun 24, 2016
Hi

Your voltage effects how much power your CPU can use to run at the frequency it's clocked at. It's like running a car on 87 octane when it requires premium fuel...will it run? Yes, but poorly.

Essentially, increasing the voltage increases the speed in which components can run, at the exchange of having more heat, and a lesser life to the product.

Regards :)

Deniedstingray

Honorable
Nov 2, 2015
So is higher or lower better for performance?

Deniedstingray

Honorable
Nov 2, 2015
I thought people said to lower voltage until the oc becomes unstable? Im at 4.4Ghz right now at 1.285V. What do you think about that?

Deniedstingray

Honorable
Nov 2, 2015
I have run intel burn test at the "High" in intervals of 5 and have passed. I have a 212 EVO so im good for now. Thanks for the help!

D

Deleted member 217926

Can the voltage setting of an overclocked cpu effect fps in games?

No. The CPU is either stable or it isn't. It does not work slower with less voltage as is implied by the other poster. That is just a falsehood. Nor does more voltage make it faster. Just adding voltage does nothing but add heat without a corresponding clock speed increase.

You want the lowest possible stable voltage for any overclock which also seems to not be what the other poster implied. Lower voltage = less heat. Also voltage is a measure of force. Higher voltage than is necessary will cause excessive electromiration and wear out your part faster.

You didn't post what your system is or what temps you are getting for me to say if they are in line with what you should be seeing. Post more info and I can help more.

I'm unselecting that best answer just because most of what he posted is incorrect. If you feel it is the best answer please reselect it and I'll leave it alone.

Deniedstingray

Honorable
Nov 2, 2015
I was hoping someone like you would come through in the end. System specs are:
i5-4690k @4.4Ghz 1.285V (Could go lower on voltage, havent tried yet.)
1070 G1 Gaming
16Gb RAM

Max temps under normal gmaing load load have been 60-65C.

D

Deleted member 217926

If you're stable those settings look good. Haswell ( and Ivy Bridge before it ) gets hot quick with even small voltage increases and the Hyper 212 isn't really enough for more than mild overclocking with those chips.

Use the temp guide in my sig for proper testing methodology and safe temps and voltages. You want to be sure you're testing with the proper version of Prime 95.

The more stressful the overclock testing the better. I use Prime small FFTs and Intel Burn Test at the same time. This will give you max temps and max stress. If you're stable with both of those running for a few hours you should be fine long term.

Deniedstingray

Honorable
Nov 2, 2015
The max max temp on intel burn test was 84 i think but ive never seen it go over 70 in normal gaming.

D

Deleted member 217926

Try backing that voltage down a little. You really don't want to go over 80C on the cores when stress testing. I skipped from Sandy Bridge to Skylake so I haven't overclocked Haswell to tell you some exact settings to fine tune but I'd bet there are guides for your specific motherboard that might help. 80C under stress ensures safe long term temps at all load levels.

Solution