Question silly impulse purchase of 980 PRO

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
I understand PCIE3.0 vs PCIE4.0 speed comparison is nothing but a fool's errand... then when I saw 980 PRO 1TB was on sale for 135 USD, I had to buy one to check out the speed of PCIE4.0 :sweatsmile: it is a heatsink mounted version too.
Even worse, my current drive is a 970 PRO 1TB. Switching from a MLC PCIE3 to TLC PCIE4 is not necessarily an upgrade. Potentially I am downgrading my drive.
But I had no choice.... As a PC enthusiast, there was no other way. :sweatsmile::sweatsmile::sweatsmile:
Stay tuned... I will post my impressions if I notice anything interesting.

Last edited:
I understand PCIE3.0 vs PCIE4.0 speed comparison is nothing but a fool's errand... then when I saw 980 PRO 1TB was on sale for 135 USD, I had to buy one to check out the speed of PCIE4.0 :sweatsmile: it is a heatsink mounted version too.
Even worse, my current drive is a 970 PRO 1TB. Switching from a MLC PCIE3 to TLC PCIE4 is not necessarily an upgrade. Potentially I am downgrading my drive.
But I had no choice.... As a PC enthusiast, there was no other way. :sweatsmile::sweatsmile::sweatsmile:
Stay tuned... I will post my impressions if I notice anything interesting.
It should last for years and even if you don't have PCIe v4 now. you might have it with next build/upgrade. for that price I would buy it too, around here they are twice that price. You may not feel that speed difference over v3 (maybe some placebo effect) but why not if a good deal comes up ?