Silverstone Makes Super Dense, Compact Al Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arethel

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
At least it's something to read. I don't know about anyone else, and I'm probably going to regret posting this, but I get kinda sad on the weekends when I open up Toms Hardware and there's nothing since Friday.

That is a pretty nifty case though!

micr0be

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
[citation][nom]Arethel[/nom]At least it's something to read. I don't know about anyone else, and I'm probably going to regret posting this, but I get kinda sad on the weekends when I open up Toms Hardware and there's nothing since Friday.That is a pretty nifty case though![/citation]

yea same here, i'd even be ok with them posting something about apple... i think

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
This just looks like a bad idea to me. Granted yes there are a lot of fans but its not a good idea to cram that much stuff into that small of a space. High end video card, standard sata hard drive, ram, power supply, mobo chipset, and of course the cpu all crammed into a shoebox will still be very hot.

Raccio14

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Alright. Smooth design silverstone; blow hot air from the power supply right up into the CPU heatsink.

Seriously, as much as you guys hate apple, they did this way better with their G4 cube computer. Really nifty little proprietary form factor there. that said, it was a total pain in the ass to work on though, so yeah apple being proprietary kinda killed the niceness of it.

that aside, silverstone FAIL

DokkRokken

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
I'm giving Silverstone the benefit of the doubt here. They know how to make a good case, so I'll wait until the tests. This could be one nifty little Media PC case.

Arethel

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
[citation][nom]DokkRokken[/nom]I'm giving Silverstone the benefit of the doubt here. They know how to make a good case, so I'll wait until the tests. This could be one nifty little Media PC case.[/citation]

That's what I'm thinking too. Silverstone makes some pretty decent products after all.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Arethel[/nom]At least it's something to read. I don't know about anyone else, and I'm probably going to regret posting this, but I get kinda sad on the weekends when I open up Toms Hardware and there's nothing since Friday.That is a pretty nifty case though![/citation]

Same here. I open Tom's like every few hours, and on the weekends it's a constant "Aw, nothing new?".

[citation][nom]TomD_1[/nom]I might be mistaken, but does the power supply blow hot air into the case?[/citation]

I haven't actually had a case that does different. Only way it wouldn't is if there was a vent specially for the power supply, am I correct?

se7envii

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
[citation][nom]Kelavarus[/nom]Same here. I open Tom's like every few hours, and on the weekends it's a constant "Aw, nothing new?".I haven't actually had a case that does different. Only way it wouldn't is if there was a vent specially for the power supply, am I correct?[/citation]

Seconded!

blasterth

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
[citation][nom]TomD_1[/nom]I might be mistaken, but does the power supply blow hot air into the case?[/citation]
Looking at the pictures it seems it takes air from below the case and blow hot air out from the side (more or less like a case with PS on the bottom, that take air from the bottom and blow hot air from behind, cutting out the PS from the case air circulation) (an animation at the bottom of this page can help http://www.lancoolpc.com/en/product...=15&cl_index=1&sc_index=25&ss_index=62&g=spec).
So I don't think it blows air on the CPU at all.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]seriousazn[/nom]looks too much like iCrap...the zoomed out view makes me think of that logo thing as an apple...DO NOT WANT![/citation]

Fanboi? You instantly discredit something just because it 'looks' like an Apple product? For one thing, it's an anodized aluminum finish, and it's a great finish for any tech product. And for another, it's not nearly as compact as an Apple chassis.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Tom's, I love you and all but you gotta do something about viewing photo's on here. Having to click a picture and then waiting for your whole site format to load to view the picture on another page is seriously a pain in the ass.

zmbcat

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]micr0be[/nom]yea same here, i'd even be ok with them posting something about apple... i think[/citation]
im saving up the "boring" news for weekends..:D

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Looks nice to me. And as to the above about cramming too much heat into it, I dont think thats going to be an issue. Small space yes, but this also means less room to HOLD heated air. The idea would be the air is turned over very quickly, and should if done right actually cool equally to a larger one with a HUGE fan setup. This one will have heat eminating from it, but that is because it seems it's going to make use of every bit of air it does get. If you think about it, video card makers do this on nearly all of the high end cards. Completely enclose the heat sink in plastic with a channel for air to move rapidly through, and it works well enough. I will be getting one of these myself, as I am a fan of this concept. I wonder how loud it is and all that jazz. The slim optical is a bummer tho. I also have doubts bout my 280 fitting in there

Status
Not open for further replies.