[SOLVED] Silverstone PSU is constantly ramping up ?

Oct 15, 2020
I've had a system for the last year that I have been upgrading as I learn about computers more fully. For the last year since upgrading my power supply, cpu and ram it is constantly ramping up even on idle. I will be sitting on my wallpaper and suddenly it will run extra hard for 2/5 seconds before stopping. It also happens when I open most applications or even browser tabs. I have recently built my system back up as I got a new case and new graphics card (thinking originally the problem was the graphics card) however the problem persists.

System Specs:
Asus Tuf Z390-Plus Gaming (Wi-Fi)
Intel i7 9700K
Coolermaster ML240R AIO Cooler
Corsair 32gb DDR4 3200mhz
Zotac RTX 3070 Ti (formely Aorus AIO RTX 2080 Super)
Silverstone ST1200-P1 PSU
Case: Aorus C300 Glass, Black ATX

I understand my power supply is overkill for this system however I bought it under the pretence of someone I thought knew better computers telling me I would need it. I do not overclock, I have cleaned all of the parts regularly and as I've changed them, I have changed the fan curve in my bios and the temperatures for my cpu and gpu do not spike when the revving happens as of msi afterburner.

I am so confused. Is it just because the power supply is way too much? Is it faulty?

Ralston18

Titan
Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to discover what your system is doing when the ramping up starts.

Use both tools but only one at at time.

Boot up, open the tool, wait and watch.

Look for some app running or launching in the background. Maybe trying to update, backup, or simply "phone home".

Oct 15, 2020
Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to discover what your system is doing when the ramping up starts.

Use both tools but only one at at time.

Boot up, open the tool, wait and watch.

Look for some app running or launching in the background. Maybe trying to update, backup, or simply "phone home".

I have done that all day today and nothing jumped up or out. I did discover it wouldn't start until I moved my mouse otherwise it would just sit silently but otherwise trying both nothing appeared that I could see

Ralston18

Titan
Mouse - that is something.....

Manually download and reinstall the mouse drivers.

Turn off all power/sleep settings.

Turn off wallpaper. Are you using Bing or perhaps some third party app? Look in Task Scheduler to discover if that app is triggering some action.

= = = =

Overall just go back to a basic configuration to determine if the ramping ends.

If so then, one at a time, enable sleep, etc. but only one device at a time allowing some time between those actions.

If the problem continues then run the built in troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

You can also use "sfc /scannow" and "dism" to identify and fix corrupted files.

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

Oct 15, 2020
Having done what you suggested for the last few days, still nothing. No files appeared as corrupted and turning everything off and waiting for a bit changed nothing. Although it triggering on my screen when I move the mouse is something, it does still trigger just whenever it feels like it. If I was playing a game or hell even watching a 4k video I would have understood but it does it when I even just open file explorer sometimes. The issue of it not doing it EVERY time is what's confusing me.

Anyway I'm going to literally go back to basics and hard reset my OS, again, and see if that fixes it.

Your PSU might be right on the borderline of not even needing it's fan at all, and, the fan coming on once it's under a 300 watt load or so and/or warms up to 60C internally, etc...

If you looped a GPU-based encoding or intensive gaming/rendering benchmark and the PSU's fan stayed on constantly until 5 minutes after the benchmark was complete, that would certain lend credence to that theory...

I've had a system for the last year that I have been upgrading as I learn about computers more fully. For the last year since upgrading my power supply, cpu and ram it is constantly ramping up even on idle. I will be sitting on my wallpaper and suddenly it will run extra hard for 2/5 seconds before stopping. It also happens when I open most applications or even browser tabs. I have recently built my system back up as I got a new case and new graphics card (thinking originally the problem was the graphics card) however the problem persists.

System Specs:
Asus Tuf Z390-Plus Gaming (Wi-Fi)
Intel i7 9700K
Coolermaster ML240R AIO Cooler
Corsair 32gb DDR4 3200mhz
Zotac RTX 3070 Ti (formely Aorus AIO RTX 2080 Super)
Silverstone ST1200-P1 PSU
Case: Aorus C300 Glass, Black ATX

I understand my power supply is overkill for this system however I bought it under the pretence of someone I thought knew better computers telling me I would need it. I do not overclock, I have cleaned all of the parts regularly and as I've changed them, I have changed the fan curve in my bios and the temperatures for my cpu and gpu do not spike when the revving happens as of msi afterburner.

I am so confused. Is it just because the power supply is way too much? Is it faulty?
Your description of your "problem" sounds perfectly normal to me. This is the way Windows 10 (and frankly, most operating systems work). I'm running HWiNFO64 as I type this and my cores are fluctuating between 800MHz and 41000MHz. I wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2020
Your PSU might be right on the borderline of not even needing it's fan at all, and, the fan coming on once it's under a 300 watt load or so and/or warms up to 60C internally, etc...

If you looped a GPU-based encoding or intensive gaming/rendering benchmark and the PSU's fan stayed on constantly until 5 minutes after the benchmark was complete, that would certain lend credence to that theory...

I did this to see and it just revved at random points through it and stopped after about 30 seconds since the tests were done (The tests I used was 3D Mark, PC Mark and the benchmark in game for Far Cry New Dawn)

Oct 15, 2020
Your description of your "problem" sounds perfectly normal to me. This is the way Windows 10 (and frankly, most operating systems work). I'm running HWiNFO64 as I type this and my cores are fluctuating between 800MHz and 41000MHz. I wouldn't worry about it.

If it was similar to other computers, you're right I wouldn't worry. But my brother who has about the same specs (minus the power supply as his is a 850 Watt) does not have this issue of the fan aggressively ramping every other minute. If I could make you hear the sound I do and how inconsistently consistent it is, I would. Because just saying 'it ramps' really does just sound normal lmfao

I didn't realize when you said 'ramping up' you were referring to the fans. Fans ramp up based either on BIOS settings or some 3rd party fan controller software settings. AFIK, it's usually associated with temperature. Recheck your fan curves in the BIOS and try to determine if you have another application running that is ramping up your fan(s) based on temperature.

Oct 15, 2020
So fun thing. My friend asked me to rebuild their system for them so I borrowed their power supply for a day, no ramping. Not during any application or even some of my more graphically intense games. So I'm just assuming I got a bad power supply where something in it is screwed? Either way, ordered a new power supply and the issue is "resolved" I suppose. Not the resolution I wanted but who knows. Thanks for all the suggestions!