SilverStone Releases Slim Slot-Loading Blu-ray Burner For Mini-ITX Enclosures

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzureFlash

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
Very cool. Pricing is on par with the Sony Optiarc I bought (even a bit cheaper I think, mine was 190$), and I bet it would fit snugly in their own Sugo SG08, whereas the Optiarc leaves some gaps around the slot that I would've had to fill if I hadn't been a bit lazy about my build.

AzureFlash

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
[Comment continued, there was an error posting the whole thing] -- I can attest to the fact that slim, slot-loading blu-ray burners are extremely hard to find... moreover to use the Optiarc I had to use an adapter (mini-SATA to floppy-style power adapter) which ended up being a cable management pain in the neck (brings the power connector assembly dangerously close to making the 180mm fan not fit!)

AzureFlash

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
[Final part] -- On the other hand... I have to admit that optical media is less and less needed. I got it in case any relatives of mine would need some burning or ripping done, but so far I have not used my burner once. My advice to Mini-ITX builders out there, if you think you might need an optical drive... no, you won't. Spend that cash on a better GPU. Only get one if you KNOW you'll need one on an at least weekly basis. Installing Windows (or anything else based on optical media) can be done from USB or virtual CD on any decent, modern machine.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
I paid a pretty penny for that Sony slot loader I bought, something like $200. Would have been glad for a little competition, because it was hard to find, and expensive to buy. Just no options for stuff like this.

The sad part is, for all the money I invested into it to be able to play blurays, I don't even own one. Between Netflix & XBMC, I'm pretty set for media. Still, it's nice if someone give one of the kids a movie as a gift.

Status
Not open for further replies.