Silverstone Shows Mini-STX Case In Development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
Does Mini-STX even allow for internal PSUs? Thin Mini-ITX doesn't, as the ATX main power connector would take up a lot of space that a board simply can't afford when it's using laptop RAM (which is parallel not perpendicular to the board).

I'd fully expect these to require external power bricks, as without connectors there's no other choice, and given their size an SFX PSU would require you to double the volume of the case anyway. I doubt many case manufacturers can, or will, make bespoke PSUs.

I think this has a huge potential "cool" factor, especially if it leads to the creation of a new form factor for graphics cards. No, you won't get a power-hungry flagship anywhere near the necessary size (any time soon), but something with the power of a GTX750Ti seems reasonable. This new size could also be used in laptops, bringing upgrade options where they have never existed before.

norseman4

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Most mini-ITX have the standard 24 pin power connector plus CPU power, at least those with a socketed CPU. Nano-, Pico-, and Mobile-ITX do not.

What are the specs of this mSTX form-factor? The Skull-Canyon mSTX machine being developed is said to be 4x8", but there wasn't anything that jumped out from my quick perusal showing how much free space inside the case was available.

icsta

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013
I think this has a huge potential "cool" factor, especially if it leads to the creation of a new form factor for graphics cards. No, you won't get a power-hungry flagship anywhere near the necessary size (any time soon), but something with the power of a GTX750Ti seems reasonable. This new size could also be used in laptops, bringing upgrade options where they have never existed before.

I would think with the smaller manufacturing process coming out soon they could possibly fit a near-flagship card into one of these. The main focus lately has been performance/watt instead of performance at any cost. It is quite possible that one of the newer GPUs coming out using HBM2 and a 14/16nm architecture could fit quite nicely in one of these while keeping the power usage and heat output low. Of course, this is in my opinion.

Gurbo

Reputable
Apr 30, 2015

I would think with the smaller manufacturing process coming out soon they could possibly fit a near-flagship card into one of these. The main focus lately has been performance/watt instead of performance at any cost. It is quite possible that one of the newer GPUs coming out using HBM2 and a 14/16nm architecture could fit quite nicely in one of these while keeping the power usage and heat output low. Of course, this is in my opinion.
Your comment reminded me of the article about the new Radeon that was shown. Really early model, with not even every feature enabled, playing a game at 1080@60hz while pulling an estimated 35-45W from the wall. I don't know if your comment about HBM was about the raw power you could pack in there or if there's a power consumption fact I'm unaware of, but it was inferred that that model in the demo was using GDDR5.
I could see this happening on the next gen or two, and I'm glad to see this kind of things, that little brick looks really nice.

DrakeFS

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
I still like the Intel NUCs better (looks wise) but something that small with a socket... has garnered my attention. However, I have only seen mGPUs listed with STX builds so far.

PDXDewd

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
I thought I saw an ECS board in an SFX form factor and it had the standard 19-20V looking plugin for the power brick just like the thin mini ITX. Seems like the best way to go for space and cable simplification as long as you don't need sata power connections. I love the idea of coupling this with a 750Ti.

FritzEiv

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
Most mini-ITX have the standard 24 pin power connector plus CPU power, at least those with a socketed CPU. Nano-, Pico-, and Mobile-ITX do not.

What are the specs of this mSTX form-factor? The Skull-Canyon mSTX machine being developed is said to be 4x8", but there wasn't anything that jumped out from my quick perusal showing how much free space inside the case was available.

ASRock told us at CES that mSTX was 5-inches squared, I believe. The Intel SkullCanyon does not use mSTX (which we infer from its being 4x8, and it is BGA).

HardExpert

Reputable
Jan 15, 2016
Does Mini-STX even allow for internal PSUs? Thin Mini-ITX doesn't, as the ATX main power connector would take up a lot of space that a board simply can't afford when it's using laptop RAM (which is parallel not perpendicular to the board).

I'd fully expect these to require external power bricks, as without connectors there's no other choice, and given their size an SFX PSU would require you to double the volume of the case anyway. I doubt many case manufacturers can, or will, make bespoke PSUs.

As far as i know, only one case have a built-in PSU with Thin Mini-ITX. I found it several month ago. www.luna-design.org I don't know how it's works, but it's looks nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS