SimCity Fix Means Disabling Features as Amazon Suspends Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't have happened if they left a single player game as offline. There was no good reason to make it online only. Ruining a great franchise. I've owned Sim City 1 through 4 and played each one avidly. I hope they lose a lot of money off this game since they alienated many fans.

Shankovich

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Will this make EA learn? Probably not. Just wait until Battlefield 4 comes out and its always online DRM screws up too (since they'll get even more people wanting to play it)....Maxis has no say in this for sure, I don't blame them really.

At least we're getting a free game out of it...a good game, like Need for Speed.

Shankovich

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Shankovich[/nom]Will this make EA learn? Probably not. Just wait until Battlefield 4 comes out and its always online DRM screws up too (since they'll get even more people wanting to play it)....Maxis has no say in this for sure, I don't blame them really. At least we're getting a free game out of it...a good game, like Need for Speed.[/citation]

At the end, I meant HOPEFULLY a good game

[citation][nom]Shankovich[/nom]Will this make EA learn? Probably not. Just wait until Battlefield 4 comes out and its always online DRM screws up too (since they'll get even more people wanting to play it)....Maxis has no say in this for sure, I don't blame them really. At least we're getting a free game out of it...a good game, like Need for Speed.[/citation]
the problem is users keep buying into EA. they will not learn their lesson until supporting EA stops, as investors keep investing in them. That goes for buying games like Crysis 3, Dead Space 3, or upcoming games like Dragon Age 3. the more people buy into it, the more EA is just going to do what they have already been doing, because their money is coming from the investors.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]Shankovich[/nom]Will this make EA learn? Probably not. Just wait until Battlefield 4 comes out and its always online DRM screws up too.[/citation]

Um, Battlefield always requires an internet connection to play multiplayer. Unless you mean Single Player, I know Battlefield 3 Single Player can be played offline. and logically Co-Op will require online.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
@every1hasaids... well i just bought Mirror's edge and i'm having a lot of fun right now. I rarely buy games from EA except for BF2142, Bf2 & BFBC2. I buy games I enjoy, like the gears series and halo series. but i respect your stand against EA.

f-14

Distinguished
all i read was EA, say no more.

their shining examples of star craft and diablo3 are pure filth due to the online 'cloud' b.s. i pray every day anon takes down EA's entire server farms and renders them into what the 'cloud' is worth. nothing but target practice for Lock N' Load with R. Lee Ermey on the history channel

abbadon_34

Distinguished
Why did I read this topic yesterday and in more detail on foxnews? I honestly thought Tom's had already reported this earlier and general news outlets were just noticing. I didn't release Tom's was the one playing catchup, and missing details like the issue of high official reviews vs. low user reviews and lowering of initial preview ratings. The only "old news" was the suggestion EA should forgo DRM for single player games. For shame.

coolestcarl

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011
I've done my part.
I have a huge library of Steam games including many old school ones, but I have not bought a single EA game for years.
I put my money where my mouth is :D

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
I thanks all the people who shell out $60 and do the beta testing for EA... I may buy the game when the beta testing is all (really) done....

rad666

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
[citation][nom]Avus[/nom]I thanks all the people who shell out $60 and do the beta testing for EA... I may buy the game when the beta testing is all (really) done....[/citation]
It's not beta testing, not really, they know the code works. What people are doing is paying to stress test EAs servers, which is just as bad.

Why did I feel the need to pot this? I have no idea...;)

G

[citation][nom]velocityg4[/nom]Wouldn't have happened if they left a single player game as offline. There was no good reason to make it online only. Ruining a great franchise. I've owned Sim City 1 through 4 and played each one avidly. I hope they lose a lot of money off this game since they alienated many fans.[/citation]
Ruining a great franchise is EA's modus operandi.

[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]Um, Battlefield always requires an internet connection to play multiplayer. Unless you mean Single Player, I know Battlefield 3 Single Player can be played offline. and logically Co-Op will require online.[/citation]

Not the same by a lot. Having to connect to the Authentication servers from EA and THEN go into the match is what this DRM does. We used to have LAN support right off the bat with games, but since DRM kicked in, no more LAN support and we need to connect to the internet to have LAN parties. That sucks so MUCH ass it hurts. Steam has this problem as well; they no longer provide LAN support in most of their games. Last one was L4D1 IIRC.

Anyway, regarding SimCity... Just go get CitiesXL 2012 or Anno 2070. Both are very good games, where CitiesXL is kind of bugged, but at least it lets you play it.

Cheers!

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I don't get it? What is more stupid? Always connected DRM in a game or stupid users who know this and are willing to not only buy but continue to try and use this POS after a week of this garbage???? It's like watching an episode of hoarders. You want to say, hey idiot, those aren't personal belongings, its TRASH! Throw it out you lazy ass.

redeye

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2005
[citation][nom]dudewitbow[/nom]the problem is users keep buying into EA. they will not learn their lesson until supporting EA stops, as investors keep investing in them. That goes for buying games like Crysis 3, Dead Space 3, or upcoming games like Dragon Age 3. the more people buy into it, the more EA is just going to do what they have already been doing, because their money is coming from the investors.[/citation]

if we just waited a month after the opening day, that would be painful enough for them... but i want it now, so i bought crysis 3. Thing that really pisses me off is that EA put the Crysis digital premier edition on sale two weeks later... for 55 down from 80!...

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Shankovich[/nom]Will this make EA learn? Probably not[/citation]

Will this make consumers learn to avoid preorder bait tactics and trusting in decade old franchises? The online requirement wasn't hidden, but now its an issue? Why did you buy an always on game from EA? A wise man named Captain Planet once said.."The power is yours!". They will stop when it stops being profitable and no sooner.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Companies like this learn their lesson if their games lose money, not by us complaining. It's the best way to make them open their ears and eyes.

After Diablo 3, I refuse to invest in EA - especially for $60. I'll wait till it's a sale item at $20.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]kinggremlin[/nom]EA has now announced that they will be giving a free game for download to people who have already purchased SimCity. The exact details will be announced on the 18th. Just an FYI for people who don't like finding out things a week after everyone else if THG is your only news source.http://www.simcity.com/en_US/blog/ [...] ur-trouble[/citation]

Glad to hear they are trying to make customers who paid $60 happy. Just make sure it doesn't require you to be logged online to play or it's a second FAIL.

These kind of antics make hackers work to break their DRMs and people use hacked versions instead of making us want to spend the $60 for the game. I was happily paying Blizzard monthly for WOW and Skyrim was a deal, but I would return Diablo in a NY minute if given the chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.