[SOLVED] Simple Alternative to Asus GPU Tweak II? for the Strix 1080 Ti OC

fcp4life

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2012
Hello! I just picked up a Strix 1080 Ti OC, and installed the GPU Tweak II from Asus.

I feel as though I am not getting the full benefit of my 1080 ti and when I mess around with the settings I feel as though I'm making it worse. I am not trying to overclock or play many games. I am however, watching 4K movies hooked up to a 4k monitor (using madvr) or a 4k tv.

Is there another software out there that just simplifies / streamlines the process, not concerned about the power usage but I don't want my card and system running hot.

Solution
What is it that you feel you are not "getting", because to be honest, just about anything, including a potato, could output 4k video without even having to pay much attention to what it is doing. Unless you are gaming, or encoding, or streaming, 4k isn't particularly demanding for "watching". Integrated graphics adapters can handle that.

The go to utility for pretty much every card is MSI Afterburner, but I don't think your problem is the utility. I think it's likely the fact that you are not familiar with the configuration settings. If you are mainly watching video and don't play a lot of games, you don't even NEED to be using a utility, AT ALL. Uninstall the utility, make sure you have the latest Nvidia driver installed for your OS...
What is it that you feel you are not "getting", because to be honest, just about anything, including a potato, could output 4k video without even having to pay much attention to what it is doing. Unless you are gaming, or encoding, or streaming, 4k isn't particularly demanding for "watching". Integrated graphics adapters can handle that.

The go to utility for pretty much every card is MSI Afterburner, but I don't think your problem is the utility. I think it's likely the fact that you are not familiar with the configuration settings. If you are mainly watching video and don't play a lot of games, you don't even NEED to be using a utility, AT ALL. Uninstall the utility, make sure you have the latest Nvidia driver installed for your OS version, and go on with life.

If you have temperature issues then it's likely because you either don't have enough airflow through the case OR because something is wrong with the card you bought used, which was, honestly, kind of a poor decision if you didn't personally know the person you bought the card from, and trust them. Buying a used graphics card is like sending somebody else to Vegas with your money and letting THEM roll the dice for you.

Solution