Question Simple operating system backup to bootable USB?

dave1310

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
One would think that creating a backup, especially of the operating system, should be an easy task. It isn't!! Pro software wants you to make several (dozen) choices; disc image, partition image, files, etc. Creating a bootable CD or USB sends one off into an arcane world of work arounds to create a bootable disc. I'm too old and don't have enough time left to master all the ins and outs of what should be a simple task. (Can't help wondering if this isn't a part of the reason so few people do consistent backups?)
What I want is simple enough, it would seem. I want to create a bootable USB with my operating system onboard. If I could include my user info that would be a bonus.
I would also like to have a CD/DVD as sometimes the USB comes too late in the boot sequence to be helpful.
Can anyone provide a simple, understandable means to create these two tools?

One would think that creating a backup, especially of the operating system, should be an easy task. It isn't!! Pro software wants you to make several (dozen) choices; disc image, partition image, files, etc. Creating a bootable CD or USB sends one off into an arcane world of work arounds to create a bootable disc. I'm too old and don't have enough time left to master all the ins and outs of what should be a simple task. (Can't help wondering if this isn't a part of the reason so few people do consistent backups?)
What I want is simple enough, it would seem. I want to create a bootable USB with my operating system onboard. If I could include my user info that would be a bonus.
I would also like to have a CD/DVD as sometimes the USB comes too late in the boot sequence to be helpful.
Can anyone provide a simple, understandable means to create these two tools?
What's age got to do with it? I'm 71 and I don't see why anyone would think its so difficult. If you get a program like the free Macrium software, you just use it to create the ISO file which you use to create a rescue disk either on a dvd or a usb stick. Creating a bootable dvd is as easy as right-clicking on the ISO and selecting Burn. A usb from that ISO isn't a big deal either. You just get the free Rufus program from rufus.ie, run it, select the ISO file and it creates the bootable usb. You only run into a problem if you have only 1 usb port. If you have more than one then you boot the macrium usb and image your operating system drive to the second usb. Yeah, creating a bootable usb and storing the backup image on the same usb drive is a little more complicated but if you've made it this far you can certainly do it. Its not like your going to be doing it over and over every day; you do it once and it lasts for a long time.

Last edited: