[SOLVED] Simple question about upgrading gpu

Dec 14, 2020
I currently have a 1080 and considering selling it to upgrade to a 3060ti. Currently im not looking forward to any future games and the only game that will use the 3060ti to its full potential is cyberpunk, otherwise i play very low load games.

Also i have a setup that might bottleneck the 3060ti so im asking you guys for advice, is it worth it or should i just stick with the 1080? Ive seen all kinds of gpus struggle with cyberpunk so im really questioning whether getting a gpu just for cyberpunk is worth it.

Specs
I5 8400
Gtx 1080
16gb ram 3000mhz
Corsair tx750m gold
Gigabyte z370p d3

Solution
With your current GTX 1080, get the game, try it out, and see if the performance is good enouhg for you or not.

And yes the Core i5 8400 will limit the performance of a RTX 0360TI, and I believe it may be limiting the performance of your current GTX 1080 on intensive games too.
With your current GTX 1080, get the game, try it out, and see if the performance is good enouhg for you or not.

And yes the Core i5 8400 will limit the performance of a RTX 0360TI, and I believe it may be limiting the performance of your current GTX 1080 on intensive games too.

Reactions: Pattrone
Solution
Dec 14, 2020
Buying hardware to run that one game which is a total mess of performance issues and seeing a lot of complaints does not seem a good idea. I’d ignore Cyberpunk and keep to your other games.
I will probably still play cyberpunk on the 1080 but you are right, especially since i am not planning on upgrading my cpu anytime soon anyway.

Dec 14, 2020

Ive played cyberpunk on medium to high settings on same setup but with 1070, i bought a 1080 for cheap when i recently had a problem with my pc and i mistakenly though my 1070 died. Im confident it will run to my satisfaction on a 1080 and since i already have it i might aswell just sell the 1070. But my plan was to sell both 1070 and 1080 to fund the 3060 ti but seems like its not a good idea.

Reactions: RodroX
Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

I suspect you are reasonably well balanced now.

Reactions: Pattrone
Dec 14, 2020
Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

I suspect you are reasonably well balanced now.
Thats a good idea, i will try that with my 1070 and then the 1080, but i presume both are well balanced at the moment so i will be sticking with the 1080 and maybe in a few years time i might upgrade to 3000 series with a new proc