[SOLVED] Simple router for small business

Jul 23, 2021
I’m looking for router recommendation. Getting a dedicated internet connection (public static IP) for a small business. It’s a 100Mbps Ethernet connection but we must provide router. We have an ubiquity switch. I’m looking for a simple router recommendation that will be reliable and not be a bottleneck. I simply need routing/firewall capabilities and DHCP. Nothing fancy. Do not need wireless since were using separate AP. Neat gear?. Thoughts?

Solution
That is what I was thinking, but the answer sounded too simple.
A business VPN router is usually recommended. That allows secure remote access. If you have a Ubiquiti switch, you could get a UDM Pro or an edgerouter. The UDM Pro would allow you to set up VLAN for guest WIFI easily.
You could get a Zytel or Cisco. I would definitely look for a small business VPN router.

Ralston18

Titan
More information needed. A typical home router is unlikely to meet your requirements. You may need a commercial router.

What modem do you have now? ISP provided?

What router do you have now? ISP provided?

Do you need a router or a modem/router?

Who is your ISP? They likely have a listing of supported devices be those devices modems or modem/routers.

How many networked (wired) devices need to be supported?

What administrative controls do you wish to place on individual network devices?

Budget?

Explain why you think you need a firewall. Are you going to be hosting a server. What firewall feature do you need.

Without a firewall requirement any router will work. You can just turn off the wifi radios if you want. Almost any modern router can pass 1gbit of traffic wan/lan, of course it must have gigabit ports.

Jul 23, 2021
This is a new installa
More information needed. A typical home router is unlikely to meet your requirements. You may need a commercial router.

What modem do you have now? ISP provided?

What router do you have now? ISP provided?

Do you need a router or a modem/router?

Who is your ISP? They likely have a listing of supported devices be those devices modems or modem/routers.

How many networked (wired) devices need to be supported?

What administrative controls do you wish to place on individual network devices?

Budget?

This is a new installation so no existing gear.

Need a router. The handoff is an Ethernet connection with a static IP address. Similar to how FiOS is handed off in residential.

ISP is Frontier Communications. This is a dedicated fiber internet connection (DIA). They have no preference.

This will support approx 7 wired devices, and 12 wifi but indirectly since we already have switch and access point separately. I just need the router to connect to the switch to provide routing and DHCP.

I don’t need any Admin controls, other than to configure static ip.

Jul 23, 2021
Explain why you think you need a firewall. Are you going to be hosting a server. What firewall feature do you need.

Without a firewall requirement any router will work. You can just turn off the wifi radios if you want. Almost any modern router can pass 1gbit of traffic wan/lan, of course it must have gigabit ports.

Jul 23, 2021

Also, I wasn’t sure how to look up other metrics besides bandwidth which is typically 1Gbps as you mentioned. But maybe that is not a concern?

kanewolf

Titan
A business VPN router is usually recommended. That allows secure remote access. If you have a Ubiquiti switch, you could get a UDM Pro or an edgerouter. The UDM Pro would allow you to set up VLAN for guest WIFI easily.
You could get a Zytel or Cisco. I would definitely look for a small business VPN router.

Solution
Jul 23, 2021
I don’t need remote access, although what would be nice is notification when internet goes down. Also no public wifi. So I don’t need many features. Just a DHCP server and a router/NAT. I was thinking about this one, but I don’t want complex setup for this location. Just the basics: https://www.amazon.com/Cisco-System...router&qid=1627094174&sprefix=cisco+rv&sr=8-3

kanewolf

Titan
I don’t need remote access, although what would be nice is notification when internet goes down. Also no public wifi. So I don’t need many features. Just a DHCP server and a router/NAT. I was thinking about this one, but I don’t want complex setup for this location. Just the basics: https://www.amazon.com/Cisco-System...router&qid=1627094174&sprefix=cisco+rv&sr=8-3
That should work.
Guest WIFI and public WIFI are two different things, IMO. Guest WIFI could still be password protected but prevent access to anything except internet. It could be useful for visiting vendors and clients.