[SOLVED] Simplest solution for small private [FTP?] server - for PC data backup

The Electro Machine

Commendable
BANNED
Jan 28, 2021
I need to add another layer to my backup system: a physically external place

I already distribute Blu-ray discs among my family and fiends but that method is too time consuming and problematic on many levels

And so I want to place an SSD drive connected [via SATA or USB] in a remote location that would be on-line 24/7. The set-up should have only this function of a remote drive as to not add unnecessary costs and possible points of entry to it- the idea is also to keep it physically hidden to a possible extent. No one else should have an access to it via Internet [as it is not to be public, while in case of a robbery or of a warrant search the data should be somehow inaccessible. But I should also be able to physically remove that drive and connect it to any other PC machine [as long as I will have its password or whatever]

All in all it would be great if I could integrate that extra external drive into my BackUpMarker automated tasks - but it is not a must, as in theory this SSD will do the job even if only hosting big backups executed manually

My only experience with ciphering data is adding passwords to ZIP files. As for server related stuff I only know how to access FTP with software like Total Commander or FreeCommander

So please, help me: what kind of hardware I am looking for? Is it possible to go through with this without a mini board computer, just with some sophisticated casing hosting just 1-2 drives, with and ethernet slot?

[And please DO NOT waste our time writing about public / commercially available cloud solutions]

Solution
Of course its gonna be connected - preferably via WIFi,
WiFi is a bad solution for a NAS.

So I could like have one drive in my home that I would have my main PC machine connect to by WiFi - and another drive in different country that would be a mirror of it and would not require a second PC run it?
Can those NASes also go to a sleep mode when a copy is not being delivered to them?
Yes and yes.

Current NAS boxes are basically small PCs all on their own.

QNAP or Synology has this functionality built in. One way, two sync.
Or multiple other ways.

From my QNAP:
uMhuDh7.png

kanewolf

Titan
I need to add another layer to my backup system: a physically external place

I already distribute Blu-ray discs among my family and fiends but that method is too time consuming and problematic on many levels

And so I want to place an SSD drive connected [via SATA or USB] in a remote location that would be on-line 24/7. The set-up should have only this function of a remote drive as to not add unnecessary costs and possible points of entry to it- the idea is also to keep it physically hidden to a possible extent. No one else should have an access to it via Internet [as it is not to be public, while in case of a robbery or of a warrant search the data should be somehow inaccessible. But I should also be able to physically remove that drive and connect it to any other PC machine [as long as I will have its password or whatever]

All in all it would be great if I could integrate that extra external drive into my BackUpMarker automated tasks - but it is not a must, as in theory this SSD will do the job even if only hosting big backups executed manually

My only experience with ciphering data is adding passwords to ZIP files. As for server related stuff I only know how to access FTP with software like Total Commander or FreeCommander

So please, help me: what kind of hardware I am looking for? Is it possible to go through with this without a mini board computer, just with some sophisticated casing hosting just 1-2 drives, with and ethernet slot?

[And please DO NOT waste our time writing about public / commercially available cloud solutions]
I would personally recommend a commercial NAS unit that you can connect to the remote network. WHY? Plug and play. Supports multiple protocols including rsync. Can handle the dynamic DNS duties required for you to get access. Designed for remote access.

USAFRet

Titan
I would personally recommend a commercial NAS unit that you can connect to the remote network. WHY? Plug and play. Supports multiple protocols including rsync. Can handle the dynamic DNS duties required for you to get access. Designed for remote access.
Indeed.

You can even pair two small NAS boxes across the interwebs, and they will sync
One here, one there, done.

I actually have this type of setup using nas units as others have suggested. But instead of exposing the nas units to the Internet (dangerous in today's ransomware climate), I have IPsec vpn connections between the sites so the remote drives can be accessed just like a local one.

The Electro Machine

Commendable
BANNED
Jan 28, 2021
If your request is about the type of data I think you are discussing sharing?

Set up a Plex server.
No I do not intend to share anything from that drive with anyone. It is suppose to be for my own personal use - and without warring what will happen if somebody snatches that drives from its server / enclosure / whatever

hidden?

It needs to be connected to something with outside access. a router, in someones house and ISP connection.
Of course its gonna be connected - preferably via WIFi, so that it can be laying in a basement hidden behind some useless rubble, that not robber or drunken vandal will want to go through. And so the data cable [plus the power cord] would not even to be hidden in a wall but simply [just the power cord] hidden in behind some heavy to move thus obscuring view stuff

[...]
You can even pair two small NAS boxes across the interwebs, and they will sync

One here, one there, done.
So I could like have one drive in my home that I would have my main PC machine connect to by WiFi - and another drive in different country that would be a mirror of it and would not require a second PC run it?
Can those NASes also go to a sleep mode when a copy is not being delivered to them?

I actually have this type of setup using nas units as others have suggested. But instead of exposing the nas units to the Internet (dangerous in today's ransomware climate), I have IPsec vpn connections between the sites so the remote drives can be accessed just like a local one.
Although I fear that this will become way over my head kind of solution

<Mod Edit - Off topic political removed>

Last edited by a moderator:

USAFRet

Titan
Of course its gonna be connected - preferably via WIFi,
WiFi is a bad solution for a NAS.

Yes and yes.

Current NAS boxes are basically small PCs all on their own.

QNAP or Synology has this functionality built in. One way, two sync.
Or multiple other ways.

From my QNAP:
uMhuDh7.png

Solution