[SOLVED] Simultaneous WiFi and Ethernet connections to seperate networks

KriekAJT

Reputable
Jul 25, 2016
Hi there, TH folks.

I've been trying to figure out whether it's possible to connect my PC to two seperate networks to maximise download speed or to split app usage between two networks.

I recently moved in with a family member, and they have an uncapped Fibre connection at their house. However, I have a 100gig/month 4G contract that I still have to pay for until Q4 2022. (there is quite a large cancellation fee, and I might be moving away again soon.)

This brings me to my question: Is it possible for me to connect my PC to my own 4G router for general use (it's faster than the Fibre) and use the Fibre for downloading and gaming (it's uncapped, more stable and has lower ping than 4G) without having to disable my Ethernet adapter in Control Panel every time?

My PC is connected to the 4G router via Ethernet cable and to the Fibre via my Mobo's built-in WiFi. Unfortunately I won't be able to run a network cable from my PC to the Fibre router.

Also, is there software that would allow me to connect to both networks at the same time and split the affinity on a per-app basis? This way I could just set all my gaming related apps to work on the Fibre and the rest of my to run on my 4G

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.1GHz
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Ram : 2x8GB Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16
GPU: XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS XXX Edition 8GB GDDR5
PSU: Fractal Design Ion+ 660W Platinum
Case: Phanteks P600s White
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master ML240L RGB
Storage: Kingston A400 240GB & Seagate Barracuda 4TB 5400RPM 256MB Cache

Monitor: AOC C24G1 Curved 144Hz Freesync
Mouse: Glorious Model D (Glossy White)
Keyboard: Gamdias Hermes P2 RGB (Brown Opto-Mechanical)
Headset: Razer Kraken Pro V2

Solution
It is a lot of effort so most people do not attempt it unless they have a very large issue that prevents them from using just one connection.

The command you need to do most the work is ROUTE.

The first step is to remove the 0.0.0.0 router from one of the connections. This will make the other connection the default and no traffic will now use the connection you removed the 0.0.0.0 from. You then add routes for each IP destination you want to use the secondary connection.

This work ok when it is only a small number of IP addresses need to use the secondary connection. It gets unmanageable if you have to find huge lists of ip that change a lot. Maybe if you could get the list of all the IP a game uses it might work for...
It is a lot of effort so most people do not attempt it unless they have a very large issue that prevents them from using just one connection.

The command you need to do most the work is ROUTE.

The first step is to remove the 0.0.0.0 router from one of the connections. This will make the other connection the default and no traffic will now use the connection you removed the 0.0.0.0 from. You then add routes for each IP destination you want to use the secondary connection.

This work ok when it is only a small number of IP addresses need to use the secondary connection. It gets unmanageable if you have to find huge lists of ip that change a lot. Maybe if you could get the list of all the IP a game uses it might work for that but it would be close to impossible to run something like a web browser that access many different servers

Solution