Since Feature Update 12/12/2017 PC Boots To Login Twice EVERY TIME

thehiddengfx1

Prominent
Dec 27, 2017
Ever since a Feature Update with Windows 10 on 12/12/2017 I've had this really strange issue with my PC. When I shutdown the PC it takes a little longer to do so and when I boot for the first time it loads as far as the log-in screen and then boots itself again normally.

The strange thing is that it seems like it is taking longer to shutdown in order to re-open Chrome tabs that I have open, for example. When the second boot occurs and I log-in it opens any tabs that I had open when shutting down.

I've noticed that the Nvidia control panel also shows up only when I go to RUN, search CONTROL, filter by large icons and scroll to it but I can't open it. I uninstalled the driver and when I restarted, reinstalled the driver through GeForce Experience to the latest the computer just goes to black and boots up. In the past before this Windows update when it finished updating the graphics driver it just said it finished and I could continue using my PC as normal.

I've been looking everywhere for solutions and haven't seen anyone talking about this, or any settings that got changed on the PC. Any thoughts?

Solution

XA?

right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, DISM cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

Colif

Win 11 Master
the re opening tabs thing is just a new feature of windows 10

Try running start up repair and see if it helps the login trick
go to settings/update & security/recovery
Under Advanced startup, click restart now
this restarts PC in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up repair - this will scan PC and maybe fix this - will ask for logon info

Perhaps try this for Graphics drivers: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2767677/perform-clean-install-video-card-drivers.html

If the Nvidia drivers from Geforce experience don't work, try running windows update and let Windows find drivers for it instead. The ones from Microsoft should work.

thehiddengfx1

Prominent
Dec 27, 2017

Thanks very much Colif for the reply.

So I followed your first instructions regarding start up repair, I got to the blue menu with start up repair but once I clicked it, it went to a black screen (monitor still detecting it was connected just nothing displaying) no logon info or anything so I left it on that screen for about 1 hour just in case it was just not displaying and being weird. After this I shut down the PC, booted it up and I'm currently *fingers crossed* not getting any double booting or restarts after first boot for the timebeing.

I'm still unsure about this weird thing happening with the PC just shutting down and rebooting after installing graphics drivers, I've done both methods of clean driver installs both through GeForce experience and windows, Windows just kept saying I had the correct one. It's never done that before, only since this Feature update from Windows have I had any of these problems, have had this PC for 5 years and not a single issue :c

I have a 1080 arriving today to replace my current 770 so I'll hold off on this for now as I'm hoping that will just work as it should.

Any other thoughts on the issues would be amazing, thanks so much!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Feature updates = new installs of Win 10.

Have you ever done a clean install as if PC still has Win 7 or 8 drivers still installed, it could do weird things. Last time I clean installed win 10, features I didn't know existed started working. PC was faster as well.

Do you have the latest BIOS on motherboard? I realise after 5 years they won't have any new ones but having the last ever made might help.

Colif

Win 11 Master

XA?

right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, DISM cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

Solution