Question Single Channel vs Dual Channel?

g725s

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
A new laptop I am considering has a single 8gb module and there is a second empty module bay.

Would this for sure mean that it is currently single channel, and that if I installed 2 modules of the exact same time I could obtain Dual Channel?

Without saying, don't buy this laptop :), please just educate me on Single vs. Dual Channel RAM

Thanks

If you have a second available slot for ram, the motherboard is undoubtedly capable of dual channel operation. and... with only one module it, by default will operate in single channel mode.

Ram vendors like Kingston or crucial will have ram upgrade kits that are compatible.
Access their upgrade app, enter the make/model of your laptop and you will get a list of supported upgrades.

Reactions: g725s

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
In effect yes, assuming the laptop supports dual channel (which is probably does).

However mixing modules is a 50/50 gamble. Modules are only guaranteed in the form sold (from the exact same pack), regardless as to whether they are the same make/model/timings. As the manufacturing process and parts change frequently.

Not saying it never works, just it's a gamble.

Dual channel is always preferable to single channel.

g725s

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Well it is an HP that is going to be going on sale for $150 discount. We are thinking about this for my wife, mainly web browsing, emailing, Word, and Excel.

What benefit would it be to upgrade? And for what she is doing what benefit is there?

I assume most economical would be to buy a single matching module? I'm sure HP would sell it at a premium but could probably find it cheaper elsewhere. And is it safe to say that buying a matching module would indeed provide Dual Channel?

Thanks to all for your response

https://www.costco.com/HP-Pavilion-...-Intel-Core-i5---1080p.product.100478938.html

If that is the unit you want, go ahead, buy it and see how you do.

If you think added ram is in order, buy an upgrade from Kingston or crucial. They know what will work and will support you if you have a problem.
As said above, ram needs to be matched but most of the time similar ram will work.
Intel ram controllers are not too fussy.

g725s

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Would putting in a matched set of DDR4 also require any BIOS setting changes or would it just default to dual channel?