[SOLVED] Single-core bottleneck with 10900K ?

itaym178

Reputable
Sep 22, 2017
Hi,

Is it possible to get a single core bottleneck when the clocks in games are at 3.7 and the gpu is 3080?
I have a 2k screen and in games like bf v I have fps drops with low gpu usage in intensive fights...

So I boosted the cpu clock to 5.0 ghz and it seems to fix the problem( didn't played enough yet, but I can see massive improvement ).

Is it possible to get single core bottleneck in this cpu? It is supposed to handle the 3080 like nothing

The bigger question is why was the cpu not boosting by itself. It should boost to >4.8GHz by itself. Overclocking manually may be hiding the problem.

What motherboard do you have? What was the cpu temperature when in game and not overclocking? Is the BIOS up to date?

itaym178

Reputable
Sep 22, 2017
The bigger question is why was the cpu not boosting by itself. It should boost to >4.8GHz by itself. Overclocking manually may be hiding the problem.

What motherboard do you have? What was the cpu temperature when in game and not overclocking? Is the BIOS up to date?

1. Z490 gaming X ( gigabyte )
  2. Cpu avg temps 55
  3. I didn't check if the bios is updated

Well i have Aorus Z490i Ultra and i had a similar problem, in cpu specifications it says single core to 5.3 Ghz but mine it did not, stuck at 4.9 no matter how light was the load so i did the following, i manually OCed to 5.3 but lowered the throttle temperature to 86 degrees C, so it behaves mostly like factory, light loads or single core 5.3 but when i use all cores it drops to 5 ghz or even 4.8 if it is AVX due to temperature limit.

Reactions: itaym178
Ok that's good to know :)
Anyway I boosted the clocks to 5.0 and it seemed to help a lot
You shouldn't need to boost anything manually. Turbo Boost should work as long as you hadn't turned it off and at 3.7 GHz the cpu was running at stock with no boosting at all. If there is a chance you had switched it off in the BIOS go in and restore the BIOS to default setting and see if boosting then works. If it doesn't look for BIOS updates.

By manually changing the speed to 5.0 GHz you are overclocking which shouldn't be done until you are sure the system is working correctly at stock settings.

Well i have Aorus Z490i Ultra and i had a similar problem, in cpu specifications it says single core to 5.3 Ghz but mine it did not, stuck at 4.9 no matter how light was the load so i did the following, i manually OCed to 5.3 but lowered the throttle temperature to 86 degrees C, so it behaves mostly like factory, light loads or single core 5.3 but when i use all cores it drops to 5 ghz or even 4.8 if it is AVX due to temperature limit.
Thats a very different situation. Your Turbo Boost is working correctly.

Yes. In certain scenarios it’s possible with any cpu. However your cpu if not boosting is underperforming by >25%.
Not only possible, but common.
Many games are largely dependent on the performance of the single master thread.
Even heavily threaded app depend on the performance of the master scheduler.
Look at amdahl's law for the theoretical underpinning of the reason:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amdahl's_law