[SOLVED] Single core speed.

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
I'm a noob so for give the question. Just want to make sure I'm guying the correct thing.

I am building a PC for a game that uses single core. Is the given "GHz" reading, for a CPU, the measure of single core speed?

Thanks.

Solution
I'm a noob so for give the question. Just want to make sure I'm guying the correct thing.

I am building a PC for a game that uses single core. Is the given "GHz" reading, for a CPU, the measure of single core speed?

Thanks.
If it's a processor made in the past 10 years, there's generally two specs: base speed and turbo speed. Base speed is the minimum you're guaranteed to get as long as the processor is under its overheating temperature. Turbo speed is how fast the processor can get to for a single core, but it's not guaranteed as it relies having cooling better than the minimum required for the processor.

Thanks.
It is a measure, but an imperfect one.
Different processors can vary in how much work they do per clock.

Post what you are considering.
Buy in haste, repent at leisure.

Thanks.
If it's a processor made in the past 10 years, there's generally two specs: base speed and turbo speed. Base speed is the minimum you're guaranteed to get as long as the processor is under its overheating temperature. Turbo speed is how fast the processor can get to for a single core, but it's not guaranteed as it relies having cooling better than the minimum required for the processor.

Solution