Question Single device connected to WiFi Access Point requires periodic reboot of Access Point

ZiggyStardust

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2015
Problem: One of the devices that is continuously connected to my wireless network (via a WiFi Access Point) periodically develops a problem communicating with the local network. The device in question does not access the internet; all communication from/to the device is to a single other device. The communication problem is isolated to communications between a Control 4 NEEO WiFi remote control and a Control 4 EA3 processor. The reason why I am posting a device specific issue to a WiFi forum is because of the following:
  • Restarting/rebooting the Control4 NEEO WiFi remote does NOT improve/fix the communication delay/problems
  • Restarting/rebooting the Control4 EA3 processor does NOT improve/fix the connectivity issue
  • Restarting/rebooting the Netgear WAC720 access point consistently resolves the issue, albeit temporarily (i.e. there is a radical improvement in response from the remote and absence of error message immediately after rebooting the AP)
There are approximately six devices connected to the AP's 2.4 GHz network and approximately three devices connected to the AP's 5.0 GHz network. There are approximately 12 devices connected to the LAN by Ethernet.

I am seeking assistance with addressing the fact that a single device periodically develops connection/communication issues (slow/unresponsive) with local communications (no internet access involved in this issue). I'd like to find a solution other than periodically rebooting the Netgear WAC720 Access Point to resolve a local communication issue between two devices. The network (both LAN and WiFi) perform very well under all tests that I've conducted; that is, there are no evident broader issues aside from the periodic problems with the Control4 NEOO remote's WiFi connection. More specifically, when the communication issues present with the Control4 NEOO remote's WiFi connection, other devices connected to the same AP have good/excellent/as expected throughput.

WiFi Access Point: Netgear WAC720 802.11ac 2x2 Wireless Access Point (latest firmware; does NOT perform DHCP)
Managed Switch: Netgear 28PT GE POE Smart Switch (latest firmware)
Router: Bell MTS Fibe Home Hub provided by ISP (used for DHCP and WAN; not used for WiFi access; wireless radios switched OFF)
Problem Device: Control4 NEEO remote, which is connected by 2.4GHz WiFi has difficulty connecting to a Control4 EA3, which is connected by Cat 6 Ethernet)

kanewolf

Titan
Problem: One of the devices that is continuously connected to my wireless network (via a WiFi Access Point) periodically develops a problem communicating with the local network. The device in question does not access the internet; all communication from/to the device is to a single other device. The communication problem is isolated to communications between a Control 4 NEEO WiFi remote control and a Control 4 EA3 processor. The reason why I am posting a device specific issue to a WiFi forum is because of the following:
  • Restarting/rebooting the Control4 NEEO WiFi remote does NOT improve/fix the communication delay/problems
  • Restarting/rebooting the Control4 EA3 processor does NOT improve/fix the connectivity issue
  • Restarting/rebooting the Netgear WAC720 access point consistently resolves the issue, albeit temporarily (i.e. there is a radical improvement in response from the remote and absence of error message immediately after rebooting the AP)
There are approximately six devices connected to the AP's 2.4 GHz network and approximately three devices connected to the AP's 5.0 GHz network. There are approximately 12 devices connected to the LAN by Ethernet.

I am seeking assistance with addressing the fact that a single device periodically develops connection/communication issues (slow/unresponsive) with local communications (no internet access involved in this issue). I'd like to find a solution other than periodically rebooting the Netgear WAC720 Access Point to resolve a local communication issue between two devices. The network (both LAN and WiFi) perform very well under all tests that I've conducted; that is, there are no evident broader issues aside from the periodic problems with the Control4 NEOO remote's WiFi connection. More specifically, when the communication issues present with the Control4 NEOO remote's WiFi connection, other devices connected to the same AP have good/excellent/as expected throughput.

WiFi Access Point: Netgear WAC720 802.11ac 2x2 Wireless Access Point (latest firmware; does NOT perform DHCP)
Managed Switch: Netgear 28PT GE POE Smart Switch (latest firmware)
Router: Bell MTS Fibe Home Hub provided by ISP (used for DHCP and WAN; not used for WiFi access; wireless radios switched OFF)
Problem Device: Control4 NEEO remote, which is connected by 2.4GHz WiFi has difficulty connecting to a Control4 EA3, which is connected by Cat 6 Ethernet)
Do you have a single SSID that spans the 2.4 and 5Ghz bands on the WAC or are there unique SSIDs for each band?
The specs I find for the Control4 show that it is a 2.4Ghz ONLY device.
Do you have any RSSI or minimum data rates specified ?

ZiggyStardust

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2015
Do you have a single SSID that spans the 2.4 and 5Ghz bands on the WAC or are there unique SSIDs for each band?
The specs I find for the Control4 show that it is a 2.4Ghz ONLY device.
Do you have any RSSI or minimum data rates specified ?
There are unique (non-common) SSIDs for the 2.4 and 5Ghz bands on the WAC720.

The NEEO connects only to my 2.4Ghz network; the 5.0 network is used by other devices.

I do not have any RSSI or minimum data rates specified.

The NEEO remote is used in close proximity to the WAC720. Range/signal strength should not be an issue. The NEEO has status screen that provides continuous display of RSSI and it is typically approximately -40 dB RSSI.