Question Single Ethernet device (pc) stopped working, unfixable so far. Any ideas?

wouter_adolfsen

Reputable
Nov 22, 2018
My pc suddenly stopped accessing the internet. It says it's connected but the internet is not accessible.
The strange thing is that you would expect that resetting the DNS, Modem/router etc. would solve it but none of that worked.

When I run the troubleshooter I get the following: “Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device Detected or resource (www.Microsoft.com) is not responding”
I tried:
  • checking all cables
  • using the exact same Ethernet cable with another device like my laptop from work, but that connects to the internet just fine using the same cable.
  • using inconfig /flushdns, ipconfig /flushdns, ipconfig /registerdns, ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew, netsh winsock reset
  • resetting network settings to default
  • switching off and disconnecting the power cable to my router/modem for >60 seconds (overnight even)
  • restarting my pc (several times in combination with all of the above)
  • setting a static IP with 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 as a DNS But all to no avail.
    When I try this via the elevated cmd prompt I it says the DNS server is incorrect or does not exist.
  • Turning off all firewalls
  • Tech support from my internet provider. They will help me further tomorrow, but so far they couldn't detect anything wrong.
  • Disconnecting the cable and using a WiFi adapter instead, but I get the same issues.
I am at a complete loss. Anyone have any ideas?
I am starting to think there might be a hardware issue because everything I have found is not working.

System Specs
Mobo: Asus Maximus X Hero
CPU: 8700k
RAMM: 16gb (2x8gb) corsair LPX 3200mhz
GPU: 2070 RTX (bought 2018)
PSU: Corsair RM850X
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500gb (very old)
NVME: Samsung 970 Evo 1TB

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Make and model information for modem and router (or modem/router if combined)?

On your computer run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Post the results. You should be able to copy and paste the results without retyping everything.

Reactions: wouter_adolfsen

wouter_adolfsen

Reputable
Nov 22, 2018
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Make and model information for modem and router (or modem/router if combined)?

On your computer run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Post the results. You should be able to copy and paste the results without retyping everything.
Thank you for your quick response, both of you :)
You're faster than my provider's tech support haha.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-1F2L0MI
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : dynamic.ziggo.nl

Ethernet adapter vEthernet (Default Switch) 3:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter #3
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-5D-62-2F-55
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : dynamic.ziggo.nl
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 18-31-BF-6A-69-1D
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::7a6f:fe73:bd96:786f%20(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.178.224(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : donderdag 7 september 2023 16:25:17
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : vrijdag 8 september 2023 16:25:17
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.178.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.178.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 236466623
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-22-C2-74-D4-18-31-BF-6A-69-1D
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 8.8.4.4
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TAP-NordVPN Windows Adapter V9
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-FF-61-FC-65-7A
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter vEthernet (Default Switch) 4:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter #4
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-5D-D2-18-77
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

The DNS is still set to 8.8.4.4 from when I forced it via the cmd prompt.
donderdag means Thursday in Dutch and
vrijdag means Friday.

Router/Modem
Brand: Sagemcom (provided by Ziggo a Vodafone brand)
Model: F3896LG-ZG

Last edited:

wouter_adolfsen

Reputable
Nov 22, 2018
Remove the Network adapter and its drivers from Device Manager.
Install the latest drivers.

Depending on your network configuration and provider the PC could be blocked.

There are times that Ethernet controllers die. If that's the case a USB to Ethernet adapter could solve the issue.
I tried a USB WiFi connecter. Does that count as the same thing?

You machine does appear that it can communicate with the router since it knows the router is the DHCP sever.

Try a simple ping of the router ip, in this case it should be 192.168.178.1.

Although I suspect the router will respond to ping you can also try a IPCONFIG /release.
Then check the IPCONFIG /all and that there is no longer a IP. You would then do a IPCONFIG /renew
It should then get a IP address. This means the router can talk to the pc because it provides a IP via DHCP.

If you can ping the router try to ping 8.8.8.8. If the router pings but 8.8.8.8 does not I would turn off the firewall temporarily and see if anything changes.

wouter_adolfsen

Reputable
Nov 22, 2018
You machine does appear that it can communicate with the router since it knows the router is the DHCP sever.

Although I suspect the router will respond to ping you can also try a IPCONFIG /release.
Then check the IPCONFIG /all and that there is no longer a IP. You would then do a IPCONFIG /renew
It should then get a IP address. This means the router can talk to the pc because it provides a IP via DHCP.

If you can ping the router try to ping 8.8.8.8. If the router pings but 8.8.8.8 does not I would turn off the firewall temporarily and see if anything changes.
Will try that as soon as I get back from work. Thanks in advance :)

wouter_adolfsen

Reputable
Nov 22, 2018

Again, thanks for the help so far.
Ok, results for Ping:

"Pinging 192.168.178.1 with 32 bytes of data:
General failure
General failure
General failure
General failure

Ping statistics for 192.168.178.1
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)"

I then tried the release, all to check and renew. I do get a new IP but when I then try the ping command again I still get 4x General failure.
I then tried pinging 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 just to see what happens, but I got 100% loss as well.
No luck so far sadly, but thanks for the help so far.
Got any more suggestions? I am grateful :)

That is extremely strange. Your pc can send DHCP messages to the router but not ping. General failure most times means it has some kind of driver error or maybe hardware. BUT this would not happen on both the wifi and the ethernet at the same time.

The new think I noticed when looking back is it looks like you have installed a vpn client at some time. These tend to make a mess and sometime a microsoft update or something will not be compatible. You can try to uninstall nordvpn but sometimes these do not uninstall cleanly.

After having to reinstall windows to get rid of the damage done by a vpn I now only install them on my router or I use a manually installed openvpn client rather than the vpn vendor software.

What you might want to do to test is to get a linux USB boot images. These run completely from the USB stick. If this works you know it is some windows issues.......you might have to reinstall windows to fix it unless you can figure out what is messed up with the network settings.

wouter_adolfsen

Reputable
Nov 22, 2018
That is extremely strange. Your pc can send DHCP messages to the router but not ping. General failure most times means it has some kind of driver error or maybe hardware. BUT this would not happen on both the wifi and the ethernet at the same time.

The new think I noticed when looking back is it looks like you have installed a vpn client at some time. These tend to make a mess and sometime a microsoft update or something will not be compatible. You can try to uninstall nordvpn but sometimes these do not uninstall cleanly.

After having to reinstall windows to get rid of the damage done by a vpn I now only install them on my router or I use a manually installed openvpn client rather than the vpn vendor software.

What you might want to do to test is to get a linux USB boot images. These run completely from the USB stick. If this works you know it is some windows issues.......you might have to reinstall windows to fix it unless you can figure out what is messed up with the network settings.
Ok, so did the Ubuntu boot and it finds youtube just fine. So I do believe you are right and something, maybe my VPN client, messed up my internet settings within Windows.
Do I now need to do a fresh install for Windows as in backup all my files onto a removable drive, wipe windows and reinstall via USB?

It is so unfortunate that the vpn providers make such a mess. I know many people that had to reinstall. In my case I was getting too fancy and trying to install multiple vpn so I could compare them.

So if you want a vpn in the future I would first see if you can run it on a router. Many have it the best I see are asus routers running the merlin firmware. Try to run wireguard if you can. Openvpn has lots of overhead on the tiny cpu in routers.
I forget the exact version of asus but a handful have a special encryption instructions in the cpu.

If you want to use your pc I would load one of the public domain clients. Since you manually install and configure these you will know how to uninstall them or just turn them off in a way that does not affect your OS. This is mostly people are lazy and just want to click install and things magically work. The magic uninstall button though tends to not always work. When you install the public domain client yourself you have to have some basic understanding of what settings are.