Single Graphics Card vs SLI setup?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trist_58

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
Hello again everyone,

I'm looking to get a new graphics card to satisfy the needs of some new games I want to play in 3D. While doing some research into the current technology, I discovered to my dismay that my mboard (ASUS P7P55D LE) supports Crossfire but NOT SLI. This is a problem because I was planning to install two NVIDIA cards, probably 560ti's. I understand that Crossfire does not support multiple NVIDIA cards (if i'm wrong here please correct me).

As an alternative to the above mentioned setup, I thought perhaps to go with the new NVIDIA 590 or 580 3GB.

My question to anyone who has experience in high end 3D gaming is do you think the single 3GB 590/580 card will do as good a job as two 560ti's when it comes to 1080p 3D at 60hz?

As I currently have a (dusty old) GTX 285 installed I assume a 590 will fit just the same.

The rest of my setup should be sufficient for this sort of thing.

If you think it matters, I am looking to get an "Acer HN274H 27in LED 120Hz" 3D monitor for the games (and some stereoscopic 3D animation/editing)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Solution

A 590 is just two 570's (or 560's can't remember exactly) SLI'd on the same PCB. Their still two different GPU's completely with two different memory banks, they just share a single card and power unit.

590s are a horrible choice for your money. Best to get a 580 then buy a second one in 6...
Status
Not open for further replies.