single workstation logon problem to ts

I have a w2k terminal server in application mode. other servers in admin
mode. I have a workstation (win2K fully patched) (not user specific--logged
in as either the specific user or as myself) that will log in to the admin
boxes but is denied access to the terminal server. Either of us can log
into the terminal server from other workstations. I have removed the RDP
client from this machine and did a clean install of the client. No Joy. I
can ping the terminal server by IP address and name (getting dns resolution)
Anyone got any ideas? Thanks in advance

Have you checked the EventLog on the Terminal Server? Do you get any
error messages on the client when you try to connect? Do you have a
TS Licensing Server installed and activated?

Without knowing more, I would guess this is a licensing problem.

--
Vera Noest
MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

=?Utf-8?B?Um9uYXRob3NwaWNl?=
<Ronathospice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote on 03 jan 2005:

> I have a w2k terminal server in application mode. other servers
> in admin mode. I have a workstation (win2K fully patched) (not
> user specific--logged in as either the specific user or as
> myself) that will log in to the admin boxes but is denied access
> to the terminal server. Either of us can log into the terminal
> server from other workstations. I have removed the RDP client
> from this machine and did a clean install of the client. No
> Joy. I can ping the terminal server by IP address and name
> (getting dns resolution) Anyone got any ideas? Thanks in advance

Thanks for your help, Vera. The event log on the Terminal Server indicates no
anomalies. The error msg on the client says server not available....may have
exceeded it's number of connections...or a network connectivity issue. The
server is available...we can browse it through Win Explorer, we can ping by
name and IP address and get a reply...we are connecting with a Win2K
client...unlimited # of licenses available for w2K and XP clients. I did
check the Terminal Services Licensing server and it said that one or more
license packs were corrupt and the license server needed to be reactivated. I
did this via phone with Microsoft this morning and then tried to connect that
client machine again with no joy... same errors as before. Also this client
machine can connect to other servers running in admin mode...which would
indicate to me that the RDP client is functioning properly. However, I did
uninstall and then clean install the RDPCli(current version) again, with no
joy. Any other ideas? Thanks for your help. Ron

"Vera Noest [MVP]" wrote:

> Have you checked the EventLog on the Terminal Server? Do you get any
> error messages on the client when you try to connect? Do you have a
> TS Licensing Server installed and activated?
>
> Without knowing more, I would guess this is a licensing problem.
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> *----------- Please reply in newsgroup -------------*
>
> =?Utf-8?B?Um9uYXRob3NwaWNl?=
> <Ronathospice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote on 03 jan 2005:
>
> > I have a w2k terminal server in application mode. other servers
> > in admin mode. I have a workstation (win2K fully patched) (not
> > user specific--logged in as either the specific user or as
> > myself) that will log in to the admin boxes but is denied access
> > to the terminal server. Either of us can log into the terminal
> > server from other workstations. I have removed the RDP client
> > from this machine and did a clean install of the client. No
> > Joy. I can ping the terminal server by IP address and name
> > (getting dns resolution) Anyone got any ideas? Thanks in advance

Never mind, Vera. I drilled down a little further and saw the reference to
deleting the license key in the registry on the RDP Client. I did this and
solved the problem.
Thanks, Ron.