SiS6326

G

Hello :)

My new system has SiS6326 display card with 8MB VRAM, my first attempts to play QuakeIII Arena, resulted in my system hanging and me being enlightened about OpenGL also that my card did not support OpenGL.

So I checked out the SiS site and downloaded their latest driver which supports OpenGL to a (quote from the company) "limited" level. But on installing the driver and Quake3 initialisation, the game went up to the opening menu, and then hung the system again. After reboot the driver seemed to have "removed" itself and I had the VGA driver back with 16bit color depth. So I had to reinstall the driver back again, but I stopped trying to play QuakeIII on it.

Ok, thats the history of the problem, I have now decided to replace SiS with another display card, my questions are :

1. Am I doing the right thing in deciding to replace the card?

2. Whats the best alternative for this card? Pricewise and performance wise.

Note : I love games yes, but I also need the card to help me do a lot of graphics work other than 3D, and this card doesn't seem to give any other probs other than this non-support for OpenGL.

I need to make a decision fast, kindly help me out in this.

Addntl. info, my system has Windows 98 and Intel PIII processor.

Thanks
Jai

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Jai on 12/06/00 02:22 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

swap it with GF2 mx or GTS or any other good 3D cards.
of coz you may put the SIS card as a spare or trouble shoot parts.

<font color=orange>What do you think? :wink: </font color=orange>

ledzepp98

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
keep the sis as a spare and get a geforce2 mx. i had the sis 6326 and, while i had no complaints about quality, it performs crappy.

G

Is your Video Card integrated on the motherboard? If it is, and you can find a PCI 3DFX VooDoo2, you'd be surprised at the performance. I have a clunky SIS 8MB integrated AGP card, but with the VooDoo2, I get extraordinary 3D gameplay on a P2 350 MHZ with 133MHZ SDRAM.

TRENDING THREADS