Question Site can't be reached...then it loads

May 29, 2022
I had this working for years, but a recent power failure fried my modem and cleared my router so I had to start over from scratch. I am using a Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000 wired to a TDS T3200M modem/router which goes out to the internet using DSL, we have good speeds 150mbps. I'm thinking I may have something either disabled or not disabled that should be. Pages will for a couple of seconds show the "site can't be reached" error, then load just fine. Obviously this slows everything down. Here are my settings:
Netgear R8000: static IP 192.168.0.2, 255 255 255 0, gatewayIP: 192.168.0.1 DNS server: 192.168.0.1
DHCP enabled 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254 subnet 255.255.255.0 Router Lan IP 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0
TDS router/modem: wifi off, bridge mode, DMZ disabled....external IP 184.x.x.x 255.255.252.0, Ports forwarded: 192.168.0.2 port 88 (for Blue Iris for my webcams)....DHCP reservation 192.168.0.2 for the Netgear, (uses MAC) to 192.168.0.2
DHCP enabled 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.0.254 subnet 255.255.255.0

I had a horrible time getting the IP's set up - kept getting errors making a static IP on my computers (still can't and don't know why) - it would say not in the same network and windows would put it back to dynamic. (HP & Acer laptops with windows 8.1,). All of my devices are in the 192.168.1.x subnet and connected to the Netgear and seem to be working ok with this config. Several are static (like the webcams). I finally got my cameras to work and wireless to work with this config (but I'm not sure it's right). Before it would be cameras OR internet, not both but somehow I fixed it (not sure what I did). But I still have this lag problem. Should I turn off DHCP somewhere? Turn something else on? Are my IP configs OK? I have about 25 devices connected to the Netgear - several being static IP cameras. Thanks in advance for any guidance for suggestions.

Not sure how you have the TDS device in "bridge" mode and it still has IP/dhcp etc.

Many people that run this way run the first device as a modem only which is what bridge mode should do.

Not sure how you have it running with that option turned on the way you do. Maybe it works different than other routers.

Other than that the way you have this configured is how your run router behind router. It should function that way and the port forwarding should work.

Not even sure this is your problem. I would first leave a ping run to 8.8.8.8 and see if you are getting any packet loss.
If that is fine then actually set the DNS server in your pc ipv4 nic settings to 8.8.8.8. I would disable IPv6 while you are doing this just to rule out another possibility.

In the long run it would be best if you have only 1 router just to make things a little simpler. It depends on why you have the netgear. If you need some fancy feature in the netgear.

In some ways the TDS box actually has better wifi than the netgear. It supports 4x4 mimo where the netgear only does 3x3. Not that this likely matters, most end user equipment only supports 2x2.

So if you need the netgear for wifi then set the netgear for AP mode and leave the TDS box do all the other work. If you need some feature in the netgear for router then find a way that the TDS box really runs as a modem only.

May 29, 2022
I'll try changing the DNS to google....I have it configured the way I do for all my cameras....TDS just doesn't give me the options (it appears they limit connections to their router) and it's worked like this for a long time with no problems - I just had to reset up from memory - what a pain. I will be doing regular backups on both the netgear and modem from now on! (I only had a 6yr old netgear backup!). I saw on another forum others are having this issue so it may not be with me at all. Will have to wait and see I guess.
I didn't know that about TDS's wifi...I tried AP mode on the netgear but that was when I had an internet OR camera situation so changed it back to full router and it helped. It's been trial and error but I'm learning a lot - the easy way isn't nearly as educational LOL. Thank you.

You do not want to change the DNS in the router you want to change it on the end device. I would hope the ISP is not a jerk and blocks DNS requests to other sites.

You can check it pretty easy by doing

nslookup www. tomshardware.com

and then

Nslookup www.tomshardware.com 8.8.8.8

It should show you the DNS server.

The new solution for this is to use encrypted DNS. This prevent both spying on and man in the middle attacks. Browsers like chrome and firefox have had support for while and windows recently added support to the OS itself.
Although google is suppose to support it most people use cloudflare and put in 1.1.1.1

This makes all DNS requests appear as encrypted web traffic so it is pretty much impossible to block or intercept.

You cameras though I doubt support that, but I would never leave a camera have internet access anyway to many hackers.

Reactions: metootoo