Question Sizzling sound coming from processor after reapplying thermal paste

Jul 15, 2021
This is actually a secondary problem to my first problem. My initial problem was because out of a sudden in the next morning, I couldn't start up my computer and it beeped 5 times.
Then I came to know that it's a indicator for CPU failure. I looked online and in some forum I see people advising other to try re-seat the peripherals: ram sticks(remove one by one), graphics card and also the cpu.

I tried removing one peripheral each time and try to start up but still hear the 5 beeps. Now when I tried to re-seat the cpu, I re applied thermal paste (Cooler Master Master Gel Regular) by following the necessary steps. After I am done applying, I immediately hear sizzling sound from the cpu when I try to turn on the plug to the Psu, not even trying to start my computer.

I am super worried about this as I couldn't not find anyone coming close to my problem

I will attach a video on how it sounds like.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NFV9VLSanhP6778LojqZjuMhcPFKFmH0/view?usp=drivesdk
What should I do, try and start up the pc?
Thanksssss!

I have been using this self built pc since 2019
All parts are relatively new except PSU which is about 5yolesrs old as of now, previously had some coil whining.
Specs
CPU- R5 2600
MOBO- ASROCK B450M HDV
GPU- RX580 SAPPHIRE 8GB
RAM- 2X 8GB HYPERX DDR4 2666MHZ
PSU- 500W COOLER Master B500 V2
STORAGE- 1TB HDD AND 128GB XPG NVME SSD
120mm FANS- 3INFRONT 1 BEHIND

Ralston18

Titan
I could not hear sizzling in the video. Did not hear beep codes either.

Why no RAM installed?

Do you have another known working PSU to install and test with?

What to do:

Cleanup the old paste.
Reapply new paste.
Carefully reseat the CPU.
Install the RAM.
Turn on the PSU.
Start the computer using the normal power switch.

Try to boot normally and if that fails try Safe Mode.

If not properly booting then swap in the test PSU.

Try again.

Listen carefully to any beeps - could be a pattern of long and short beeps.

This is actually a secondary problem to my first problem. My initial problem was because out of a sudden in the next morning, I couldn't start up my computer and it beeped 5 times.
Then I came to know that it's a indicator for CPU failure. I looked online and in some forum I see people advising other to try re-seat the peripherals: ram sticks(remove one by one), graphics card and also the cpu.

I tried removing one peripheral each time and try to start up but still hear the 5 beeps. Now when I tried to re-seat the cpu, I re applied thermal paste (Cooler Master Master Gel Regular) by following the necessary steps. After I am done applying, I immediately hear sizzling sound from the cpu when I try to turn on the plug to the Psu, not even trying to start my computer.

I am super worried about this as I couldn't not find anyone coming close to my problem

I will attach a video on how it sounds like.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NFV9VLSanhP6778LojqZjuMhcPFKFmH0/view?usp=drivesdk
What should I do, try and start up the pc?
Thanksssss!

I have been using this self built pc since 2019
All parts are relatively new except PSU which is about 5yolesrs old as of now, previously had some coil whining.
Specs
CPU- R5 2600
MOBO- ASROCK B450M HDV
GPU- RX580 SAPPHIRE 8GB
RAM- 2X 8GB HYPERX DDR4 2666MHZ
PSU- 500W COOLER Master B500 V2
STORAGE- 1TB HDD AND 128GB XPG NVME SSD
120mm FANS- 3INFRONT 1 BEHIND
I did hear the 'sizzling' sound. If it's sizzling and not coil whine it would have to mean temperature is getting way above 100C somewhere...and you haven't turned the system on only the PSU.

You can start with the PSU, but quite likely some motherboard VRM's are fried too and even CPU. Hopefully the GPU is spared but...well...when the PSU goes everything is fair game.

Why is memory missing?

Jul 15, 2021
I did hear the 'sizzling' sound. If it's sizzling and not coil whine it would have to mean temperature is getting way above 100C somewhere...and you haven't turned the system on only the PSU.

You can start with the PSU, but quite likely some motherboard VRM's are fried too and even CPU. Hopefully the GPU is spared but...well...when the PSU goes everything is fair game.

Why is memory missing?
I was trying to rule out other peripherals causing the problem and it is when I come to only testing with cpu left, I found this problem

Jul 15, 2021
I was trying to rule out other peripherals causing the problem and it is when I come to only testing with cpu left, I found this problem
Technically, the sizzling was found when I was applying thermal paste and found out I didn't turn off the psu, in which I immediately turn it off as soon as I saw it. It all started from there

Jul 15, 2021
I could not hear sizzling in the video. Did not hear beep codes either.

Why no RAM installed?

Do you have another known working PSU to install and test with?

What to do:

Cleanup the old paste.
Reapply new paste.
Carefully reseat the CPU.
Install the RAM.
Turn on the PSU.
Start the computer using the normal power switch.

Try to boot normally and if that fails try Safe Mode.

If not properly booting then swap in the test PSU.

Try again.

Listen carefully to any beeps - could be a pattern of long and short beeps.
Maybe turn up the volume more, there is audio I am sure.
About the beep codes I didn't film it, as I'm too scared that run my pc again until further advice.
It was 5beeps then everything is running in the desktop, just nothing showing in the display except saying that there is no signal for both the DVI(I am using) and VGA display port.
Unfortunately, I don't have another working PSU to test it out.

Should I install the ram too this time to see whether is it because the lack of rams that is causing the cpu to sizzle?
I didn't really let it run until I hear the beep sound because of the sizzling

I thought it was sufficient as I have been using it since I built it 3 years ago, but since you mentioned, do you have any psu in mind
go check some tier lists. Toms has one, but probably the best with a ton of the reference data that make tech-geeks giggle:

But...since that CPU is 'sizzling' I'm gonna say something's wrong on motherboard, with a strong possibility the CPU is fried brought on by fried VRM. Bottom line is: beware of hardware viruses.

Jul 15, 2021
I would remove the motherboard entirely and look it over with a magnifying glass. See if there are any cooked parts on there.
I would want to do that but I wanna get it looked by professionals because the sizzling came after I tried to reapply the thermal paste. Prior to it was just the problem of the 5 beeps and computer not starting up. At the same time, I am preparing for my finals too. Its quite a pain in the buttock when this problem suddenly popped out

Jul 15, 2021
go check some tier lists. Toms has one, but probably the best with a ton of the reference data that make tech-geeks giggle:

But...since that CPU is 'sizzling' I'm gonna say something's wrong on motherboard, with a strong possibility the CPU is fried brought on by fried VRM. Bottom line is: beware of hardware viruses.
What could have caused this? Because before this sizzling it was just the 5beeps and the computer can't start up. Me trying to be smart by self reapplying the thermal paste cause this sizzling to occur

Oh God, what could have caused this? Because before this sizzling it was just the 5beeps and the computer can't start up. Me trying to be smart by self reapplying the thermal paste cause this sizzling to occur
So...since 5 beeps means CPU failure and it's 'sizzling' even without being turned on AND since that PSU is being hated on AND it's really old....just a guess but it could have had a failure on a +12V rail that took out a FET in CPU VRM, shorting it to the +12V rail frying the CPU.

The 'sizzling' could be just about anything from the CPU simply making sounds as it's cooking itself with +12V to some moisture contamination in the paste as it's cooking off. But at any rate, it should not be doing anything, much less making a sound, when the PSU power switch is on but system power switch hasn't been turned on because it shouldn't be getting any power.

As a side question: were you overclocking the CPU? If you were, and heavily, then the cause chain can change to the CPU shorted, taking out a VRM FET which takes out the (sketch and old) PSU.

And as I said, beware hardware viruses: that's when you keep buying new hardware hoping to fix a system with multiple failures but it just fries the new hardware until you replace ALL the failed parts at once.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021
So...since 5 beeps means CPU failure and it's 'sizzling' even without being turned on AND since that PSU is being hated on AND it's really old....just a guess but it could have had a failure on a +12V rail that took out a FET in CPU VRM, shorting it to the +12V rail frying the CPU.

The 'sizzling' could be just about anything from the CPU simply making sounds as it's cooking itself with +12V to some moisture contamination in the paste as it's cooking off. But at any rate, it should not be doing anything, much less making a sound, when the PSU power switch is on but system power switch hasn't been turned on because it shouldn't be getting any power.

As a side question: were you overclocking the CPU? If you were, and heavily, then the cause chain can change to the CPU shorted, taking out a VRM FET which takes out the (sketch and old) PSU.

And as I said, beware hardware viruses: that's when you keep buying new hardware hoping to fix a system with multiple failures but it just fries the new hardware until you replace ALL the failed parts at once.
The cpu is at standard clock speed., I didn't OC anything.
The PSU has been a good 5 years.
How do I scan for hardware viruses? A quick update, I took it for a diagnosis. What I got was a burnt pin in the cpu which didn't affect it functionality. The guy added some more thermal paste to it and the sizzling sound is gone.

Next was the real problem where led to all these. It turned out that my gpu was dead as the fan wasn't spinning at all. He replaced with a gpu in store and my pc could start up again.

Now I am back on my old gtx 650 to continue with daily work at least.

Should I diagnose other hardware virus which might cause my gpu to die again? Or it was my gpu' s own fault? Kinda afraid that I didn't actually rule out the main underlying problem like you said. Not sure how to start

Jul 15, 2021
Hi guys sorry for the late update:

The cpu is at standard clock speed., I didn't OC anything.
The PSU has been a good 5 years.
How do I scan for hardware viruses? A quick update, I took it for a diagnosis. What I got was a burnt pin in the cpu which didn't affect it functionality. The guy added some more thermal paste to it and the sizzling sound is gone.

Next was the real problem where led to all these. It turned out that my gpu was dead as the fan wasn't spinning at all. He replaced with a gpu in store and my pc could start up again.

Now I am back on my old gtx 650 to continue with daily work at least.

Should I diagnose other hardware virus which might cause my gpu to die again? Or it was my gpu' s own fault? Kinda afraid that I didn't actually rule out the main underlying problem like you said. Not sure how to start.
Disclaimer: the broken gpu was a second-hand one which was used for 3 months before me. The warranty period was from august 2018-august 2020
I bought and started using it since October 2018

DSzymborski

Titan
The next step is the same as it was two weeks ago: swap out the junk PSU.

And you're taking Drea too literally. He clearly explained that he was using the term "hardware virus" to mean:

"That's when you keep buying new hardware hoping to fix a system with multiple failures but it just fries the new hardware until you replace ALL the failed parts at once."

There's no hardware virus to scan for.

You have dead parts, a garbage PSU, and your solution is to...keep using the garbage PSU? It's bad enough to use that PSU without anything dying; it's lunacy to keep using it once you've actually had things die.

Technically, the sizzling was found when I was applying thermal paste and found out I didn't turn off the psu, in which I immediately turn it off as soon as I saw it. It all started from there
If your PC is turned off (shutdown), although it's good practice, you shouldn't have to turn off the PSU as well when applying thermal paste. If the PC is turned off, there should not be any power going to the CPU. Are you 100% sure the PC was turned off when you applied the new paste?

Jul 15, 2021
If your PC is turned off (shutdown), although it's good practice, you shouldn't have to turn off the PSU as well when applying thermal paste. If the PC is turned off, there should not be any power going to the CPU. Are you 100% sure the PC was turned off when you applied the new paste?
Yes I am sure

Jul 15, 2021

And you're taking Drea too literally. He clearly explained that he was using the term "hardware virus" to mean:

"That's when you keep buying new hardware hoping to fix a system with multiple failures but it just fries the new hardware until you replace ALL the failed parts at once."

You have dead parts, a garbage PSU, and your solution is to...keep using the garbage PSU? It's bad enough to use that PSU without anything dying; it's lunacy to keep using it once you've actually had things die.
I had it checked and found out that one of the pin on my cpu chip is fried/blackened. But luckily I am still able to use my desktop. But could it be the psu that is frying the pins too?

Jul 15, 2021

Is the CM elite v4 600w, elite v3 P600w or the cv650 good enough? On a budget but still hope to reserve the wattage for future card replacement, currently on old gtx650