[SOLVED] skybay SDK0J40709 lenovo motherboard. Where do i mount a sata cable for a samsung 2.5inch hard drive?

Feb 12, 2020
I have a skybay (skybay SDK0J40709) motherboard on a lenovo y90034isz computer I have had from lenovo for a while. In slot 10 according to the owners manual (https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/bg/en/...dd/90dd00c0us/r3036uzq/parts/display/as-built ) there is a slot to mount a sata hard drive cable. Only one i can see is behind the GPU. I am trying to find out what cable to get to mount this https://www.newegg.com/samsung-860-qvo-series-2tb/p/N82E16820147739?Item=N82E16820147739 hard drive to the mother board and where I should do it. Should I disconnect my mainly useless dvd drive? I am using this hard drive to store everything and would also like to know the best program to move my operating system and all programs from my c and d drive to this.

Solution
So, your target drive will require 2 partitions.
A C and a D. The D must be 1.2TB or larger.

Clone your current C drive to the new SSD. This should result in A partition of ~250GB.
Then you can either copy/paste the contents of your D drive to the rest of the space, or clone it. Either way would work.

For the initial clone:
-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up...
Feb 12, 2020
Is this your motherboard? If so, there are several unused SATA headers on that board to use. Check out the pics on the page. One shows the headers.

Yes, this is my motherboard and yes I did finally find the sata headers behind the video card (1080 ti), now I am trying to figure out how to power it. Can i simply use a female to male power cord off of a 4 sata cord (by 4 sata cord I mean 1 power output from the psu and 4 male sata power drops like this (https://www.monoprice.com/product?p...sJIwYbIWJjk5-Y_rn9U6tru1zQGGlMDBoC2B0QAvD_BwE ) or do i have to power it off the motherboard?

USAFRet

Titan
which cloning software is recommended to clone my operating system to the new ssd drive? I want to clone my os from an ssd and my 7200 rpm hd program files to the ssd (its a 2 gb).
Cloning from 2 different drives will be tricky.

I have an idea of how it can be done, but some info first.
Please give us a clear description of your your drives and data are set up.
Also, a screencap of your current Disk Management window.

What specific SSD?

Feb 12, 2020
Cloning from 2 different drives will be tricky.

I have an idea of how it can be done, but some info first.
Please give us a clear description of your your drives and data are set up.
Also, a screencap of your current Disk Management window.

What specific SSD?

how do i insert a screencap?

https://click.linksynergy.com/deeplink?id=kXQk6%2AivFEQ&mid=44583&u1=tomshardware-9272869372230908000&murl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.newegg.com%2Fsamsung-860-qvo-series-2tb%2Fp%2FN82E16820147739%3FItem%3DN82E16820147739

USAFRet

Titan
So, your target drive will require 2 partitions.
A C and a D. The D must be 1.2TB or larger.

Clone your current C drive to the new SSD. This should result in A partition of ~250GB.
Then you can either copy/paste the contents of your D drive to the rest of the space, or clone it. Either way would work.

For the initial clone:
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Solution
Feb 12, 2020
I am only going to try to transfer my d drive (my games drive) to the new ssd drive. My problem is that I have plugged the drive in, i have the sata cable and power cable going to the new ssd drive off the motherboard. However my computer is not seeing the new drive. Do I have to go into Bios to recognize it? Lenovo wont do tech support to do this.

USAFRet

Titan
I am only going to try to transfer my d drive (my games drive) to the new ssd drive. My problem is that I have plugged the drive in, i have the sata cable and power cable going to the new ssd drive off the motherboard. However my computer is not seeing the new drive. Do I have to go into Bios to recognize it? Lenovo wont do tech support to do this.
SATA power coming from the PSU?

And what specific make/model of SSD?

Feb 12, 2020
Great news. Samsung magician helped me find the drive. I then formatted and cloned the drive (D drive is what I was cloning to F drive). How Do i now change the name of F and D drives so that they are switched ( want the cloned drive to be the d drive bc its an ssd).

USAFRet

Titan
Great news. Samsung magician helped me find the drive. I then formatted and cloned the drive (D drive is what I was cloning to F drive). How Do i now change the name of F and D drives so that they are switched ( want the cloned drive to be the d drive bc its an ssd).
Currently:
Old drive is D
New drive is F

Want:
New drive to be D
Old drive to be (whatever)

How to:
In Disk Management
Change Old drive to Y
Change New drive to D
Change Old drive to (whatever)