Skype Co-Founder Launches End-To-End Encrypted 'Wire' App

Status
Not open for further replies.

HvStV

Reputable
Aug 15, 2015
Although it’s not fully open source the way Signal is, it’s a little more complete because it offers video calls, making it more of a true Skype alternative. This makes it the best overall private messenger for the masses at present.

For those who are really worried about their privacy or worried that they are targets of various governments, Signal would still be a better choice.

I'm a bit confused, considering the information given one would expect Wire would be the best option either way. Or did I miss the part where Wire (as a company) is able to decrypt messages from users if forced by government(s) (or otherwise feels the need to).

Perhaps I'm just 'a dummy' but I'm sure interested in getting a little wiser in the process.

SiimTeller

Commendable
Mar 14, 2016
Or did I miss the part where Wire (as a company) is able to decrypt messages from users if forced by government(s) (or otherwise feels the need to).

As stated - all user communication is end-to-end encrypted and while the messages are relayed via Wire servers the company does not have a master key and the messages are deleted once they've been delivered.

HvStV

Reputable
Aug 15, 2015

Thank you for replying.

Then why would Signal be the beter choice? Seems Wire has all the (mentioned) boxes checked and Signal only half of them. Forgive if I miss the obviouse or something but I've never given much thought about things like this. But when I read this article it sure got me thinking which in turn created some questions about it's content. Any respons will be appreciated.

Tykkopoles

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015

Thank you for replying.

Then why would Signal be the beter choice? Seems Wire has all the (mentioned) boxes checked and Signal only half of them. Forgive if I miss the obviouse or something but I've never given much thought about things like this. But when I read this article it sure got me thinking which in turn created some questions about it's content. Any respons will be appreciated.

Because while the encryption platform is open-source, the front-end of Wire is closed-source, meaning that vulnerabilities could be injected (by nefarious or authoritarian groups) without the user being able to find out. Signal is 100% open-source from the ground up, conversely, meaning there is 100% transparency to what is actually in the application.

st_ranger

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Why a phone running Android 4.1.2 is not supported by Wire?
It's only ~3 y.o. phone. Despite what the cell phone industry wants you to think (for obvious reasons), you don't have to replace your phone every 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.