[SOLVED] Skype is muting my microphone.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Well, like the thread heading is saying, singed onto Skype today to make a video call and found that there was no audio or video feed coming from my cam, I disconnected and reconnected the cam usb then the video feed came back after I had restarted Skype, but the audio from the cam mic remained on mute or 0 level.

Solution
Right click the small speaker icon usually found in the lower right screen corner.

A 4 or 5 item menu window should appear.

Work your way through each of the choices and further more into the subsequent windows, tabs, and properties.

There are many and nested one inside the other. Take your time and if confused or lost - "Cancel" is your friend.

For the most part, my sense is that some recent install or update may have changed the default microphone away from the cam mic.

Do not change anything at first. Simply explore and take notes.

Then go back and change anything that is or seems to be misconfigured.

Change only one thing at a time so you can easily go back and undo some change that caused another problem.

Ralston18

Titan
Right click the small speaker icon usually found in the lower right screen corner.

A 4 or 5 item menu window should appear.

Work your way through each of the choices and further more into the subsequent windows, tabs, and properties.

There are many and nested one inside the other. Take your time and if confused or lost - "Cancel" is your friend.

For the most part, my sense is that some recent install or update may have changed the default microphone away from the cam mic.

Do not change anything at first. Simply explore and take notes.

Then go back and change anything that is or seems to be misconfigured.

Change only one thing at a time so you can easily go back and undo some change that caused another problem.

Solution

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Ok, I have explored into the sound and mic setting menus and found that mic vol level is @ 0, turning it back to 100 and opening skype results in mic vol level going back to 0 with the windows sound mic settings and skype open simultaneously.

Right, I have ventured into Windows 10 Privacy - Microphone Settings and found that Host Process (Rundll32) way at the bottom of the screen was not being utilized when skype was open and this muting problem was occurring.

Skype must have gone corrupt, because the mic was working (tested by mic volume input level detector in control panel sound settings) but Skype disabled the mic time and time again, I uninstalled Skype and went to the windows store and redownloaded Skype made the installation, restarted the pc and now the mic is working again as it should.

Last edited: