(Skyrim) even slight changes to the render distance reduce FPS at specific places by ~40-60%

Adrian Sh

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
The title says it; even if i turn up the rendering sliders from 0 to ~1/4 of the max in specific places like Riften on the first bridge or at Dragonsreach looking down at the town it gives me 25-31 FPS instead of the normal ~40-60 fps. Also, when moving forward the rendering of objects and turning too fast at certain places seem to give me lags, too.
(Drivers are the newest, also the HD 7770 should be OK for Skyrim)
AA and AF; shadow quality etc. don't seem to hurt my FPS bad! (weird, only ~5FPS less at 8xAA,16xAF, shadows on very high/high)
The things is: It looks great on close objects but I don't want characters or objects to de-render on 5 meters distance!
I tried disabling VSync, external, non-AMD triple buffering,external VSync, turning down all configs to low and uninstalling all mods makes the 25-31 to 29-34 so it's kind of weird.

I think it could be:
--The HDD (as windows index blah says 7.3 for everrything except of my disk - 6.9, but for a non-SSD it should be okay?)
--The CPU (as the II x4 640 isn't that good)

Specs:
-CPU: AMD Athlon II x4 640 4x3.0 GHz
-GPU: HIS Radeon HD 7770 GHz OC Edition 1GB GDDR5
-RAM: 8GB 1333 MHz RAM
-DISK: 1TB WD HDD; buffer size 8MB

Solution

IwinFTW

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013

Your CPU is, in all likelihood, bottlenecking your GPU. A 7770 is a pretty powerful card, and the Athlon II x4 is a not-that-powerful CPU, which creates bottlenecking and slows down your system.

Solution