Skyrim WILL Support DirectX 11, But Limited

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trkorecky

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]and their complaining about 3rd person... how crappy a developer do you have to be to not be able to make a 3rd person mode function right along with a first person... ITS NOT HARD... MY GOD[/citation]
And you've made how many third person games?

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
So, saying this is a DX11 game is like putting USB3 connectors on a USB1 device and calling it a USB3 device.

Dragons wil be awesome, don't bet me wrong. But I'd trade them for DX11.

Please put that somewhere on your whiteboard for the next Elder Scrolls!

G

graphics whores. skyrim looks awesome regardless of weather it has Directx 11. it will look better on pc do to higher resolutions. that's arguably a more substantial graphics increase than directx 11 so quite your bitchin.

Pc gamers did this to yourselves by pirating games and demanding ever increasing graphics to take advantage of your new tech. this eventually made the PC not as profitable for a game developer do to increased development resources and lowering base of paying customers. just to be clear, I have been a PC gamer since the late 80s, I just cant justify the expense of a new system that has so few games made to take advantage of it these days. Its sad really.

theroguex

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]cid67[/nom]graphics whores. skyrim looks awesome regardless of weather it has Directx 11. it will look better on pc do to higher resolutions.[/citation]

1) People like you only make this stupid situation worse by making devs think that it's ok to screw the PC in favor of consoles.

2) Most monitors even now support 1080p max, maybe 1920x1200. So no, no higher resolutions unless you do multi-monitor setups, which are totally fugly because of the gaps caused by monitor bezels.

What did this is the explosion of console gaming into the mainstream sector, full of gamers who have no idea of what 'awesome graphics' means, and investors who are short-sighted and want their profits NOWNOWNOW instead of over a long term.

jimmykibbles

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011
Don't understand the mentality of needing a whole new system for next-gen games- sure if you've got the money to blow, but graphics cards are pretty affordable these days and I'm pretty sure most people have a PCI-E slot on their mainboard, unless you haven't upgraded this decade...

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
If they make it on a PC they should have an easy time making the pc look great and just tune down some setting from the xbox/ps3 ports. I dont see anybody who likes Oblivion and owns an xbox not buying the game because the PC game looks better? Does this kind of stuff really happen?

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
As a developer you would have to be vehement about being outdatted not to use DX11. It backwords compatible to DX9.0 anyway. They only thing you would be doing by choosing DX9.0 instead is limiting your options to a 5 year old technology.

Honestly, I don't even care if they use DX11. I just hope they tweak the game so that when my dude's a mighty wizard I'm not constantly getting slain by wolves on my way to different towns. That was just stupid.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

The way they set up the spells and lvling a magic based character I could never bring myself to play one the whole way through lol. That was on an xbox choppy studdering graphics and all lol. Now that I game on a PC I got the GOTY edition and I just used the console to beat out my wizzard guy lol Its fun as can be now destroy things no prob :)

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

You mean you didnt enjoy running around casting heal spells so you could level? lol

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]cid67[/nom]graphics whores. skyrim looks awesome regardless of weather it has Directx 11. it will look better on pc do to higher resolutions. that's arguably a more substantial graphics increase than directx 11 so quite your bitchin. Pc gamers did this to yourselves by pirating games and demanding ever increasing graphics to take advantage of your new tech. this eventually made the PC not as profitable for a game developer do to increased development resources and lowering base of paying customers. just to be clear, I have been a PC gamer since the late 80s, I just cant justify the expense of a new system that has so few games made to take advantage of it these days. Its sad really.[/citation]

Your mistaken on so many points that you should be embarrassed to have posted this. Almost everything you bitched about computer gamers can be attributed to poor quality games using 5 year old and older graphics API. Except where you comment about PC having no games there your just a moron. Who wants to buy games based on half a decade old tech with rushed through crappy console feel to it. yeah pc gaming sales might be down but it has nothing to do with your moronic points. It has to do with the quality thats been lacking in games the past decade.

G

I dont think quality is really suffering in general unless your notion of quality is based on the constant advancement of graphics. There is not much visual advancement in PC games because there is a smaller and smaller user base on the PC compared to the Console. You know why? Because there are many people just like me who where PC gamers but just got tired of the constant 18 month upgrade cycle and the constant fighting with updates to make games work that should already work out of the box, games not working anymore when I upgrade windows, being treated like a pirate by default. for example, being required to put the stupid disk in the drive even though the game is fully installed to my hard drive. I just want to play the darn game.

I feel that most people that bitch about no directx 11 aren't really primarily gamers, your actually PC enthusiasts. You are looking for tech demos to show off your gear and justify your hardware purchases. Nothing wrong with that but don't be surprised if games than get so expensive to produce at the graphics quality you guys require that the game developers at some point just say to hell with it. There's just not enough of you guys anymore.

I personally think the level of graphics at the moment is pretty darn adequate on PC. What I think there needs to be is more focus on is quality gameplay and story telling. If games didnt advance for a while graphically but instead focused on these aspects instead, I think us gamers would be much better served. Graphics are like a drug. Once you see the next level of graphics fidelity you no longer are happy with what you thought looked great just a short while a go so you continually upgrade and upgrade and upgrade all the while becoming less happy. If you never had seen better graphics in the first place you would likely still be happy with the graphics you had. At some point we have to break the cycle or it will eventually kill the game industry. so much time is spent on the graphics that there's little time for any real gameplay. come on guys, do you remember when a shooter had like 40 hours of gameplay. Now its like 5 to 10 hours. or when there was a lot of new original content coming out. developers cant risk the financial loss of taking a risk on something new mostly do to the cost of implementing all those fancy shiny new graphics.

One last point I would like to make. I really am saddened at the level of PC snobbery PC gamers partake in. resorting to personal attacks about one intelligence just because someone doesn't agree with you. I see it more and more its eather if your not one of us your the enemy. Like I have said I was a big time PC gamer but given the state of Pc gaming I felt the better investment was to go where the bulk of the games are and get a few consoles and a 65 inch HDTV. That way I get my games and its just a better value at this point.

I am not in love with console by any means. there's plenty I don't like . for example, the lack of high resolution content. Console games are lucky to be 720p and most of the time the native resolution is much lower than that. I want higher resolution and I want longer games with more substance too but right now its where I have decided to spend my gaming hours. lets not demonize those that take this path. I'm sorry I called yall graphics whores it was not cool. I like to think of us a kindred I wish more PC gamers felt the same. Peace.

I dont think quality is really suffering in general unless your notion of quality is based on the constant advancement of graphics. There is not much visual advancement in PC games because there is a smaller and smaller user base on the PC compared to the Console. You know why? Because there are many people just like me who where PC gamers but just got tired of the constant 18 month upgrade cycle and the constant fighting with updates to make games work that should already work out of the box, games not working anymore when I upgrade windows, being treated like a pirate by default. for example, being required to put the stupid disk in the drive even though the game is fully installed to my hard drive. I just want to play the darn game.

I feel that most people that bitch about no directx 11 aren't really primarily gamers, your actually PC enthusiasts. You are looking for tech demos to show off your gear and justify your hardware purchases. Nothing wrong with that but don't be surprised if games than get so expensive to produce at the graphics quality you guys require that the game developers at some point just say to hell with it. There's just not enough of you guys anymore.

I personally think the level of graphics at the moment is pretty darn adequate on PC. What I think there needs to be is more focus on is quality gameplay and story telling. If games didnt advance for a while graphically but instead focused on these aspects instead, I think us gamers would be much better served. Graphics are like a drug. Once you see the next level of graphics fidelity you no longer are happy with what you thought looked great just a short while a go so you continually upgrade and upgrade and upgrade all the while becoming less happy. If you never had seen better graphics in the first place you would likely still be happy with the graphics you had. At some point we have to break the cycle or it will eventually kill the game industry. so much time is spent on the graphics that there's little time for any real gameplay. come on guys, do you remember when a shooter had like 40 hours of gameplay. Now its like 5 to 10 hours. or when there was a lot of new original content coming out. developers cant risk the financial loss of taking a risk on something new mostly do to the cost of implementing all those fancy shiny new graphics.

One last point I would like to make. I really am saddend at the level of PC snobery PC gamers partake in. resorting to personal attacks about one intelegence just because someone doesnt agree with you. I see it mnore and more its eather if your not one of us your the enemy. Like I have said I was a big time PC gamer but given the state of Pc gaming I felt the better investment was to go where the bulk of the games are and get a few consoles and a 65 inch HDTV. That way I get my games and its just a better value at this point.

I am not in love with console by any means. there's plenty I don't like . for example, the lack of high resolution content. Console games are lucky to be 720p and most of the time the native resolution is much lower than that. I want higher resolution and I want longer games with more substance too but right now its where I have decided to spend my gaming hours. lets not demonize those that take this path. I'm sorry I called yall graphics whores it was not cool. I like to think of us a kindred I wish more PC gamers felt the same. Peace.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
After all that blabbing you still don't get it. I cant be bothered to read your book but the few points i did read from it makes me stand by my earlier post. Quality of games is in the toilet in all aspects not just graphics. And your assumptions about people who "bitch" as you put it about direct X 11 graphics is as absurd as your theory of why PC sales have slipped. There is no advancement anywhere in gaming hasn't been for years now. There wont be until a new console comes out because its cheaper to develop 100 crappy games instead of just a few good ones.

Speaking of snobbery MR "its you pc gamers faults for pirating everything" hello pot.

Its been about 7 years almost since there has been a genuine game release that has been innovative and worth buying. BTW wth kind of problems do you have running games. i haven't ever had any issues running games Other then perhaps random glitches that caused game crashes but where fixed rather quickly. These same things happen on consoles as well. But no one said you were the enemy.Console gamers aren't the enemy its the developers that don't want to do anything for the money they are given. they make nothing but sub par games with old tech and wonder why people with a pc wont buy it. Sure people with a console will Because they cant get better. HL2 episode 2 i think was the last PC game i paid for. I'm still waiting on another worth buying. O wait i did buy COD4 and might buy BF3.

I don't mind paying for a game if it can deliver. But these console ports don't.

Something totally unrelated i was reading it while writing this i though it was kidna funny and wanted to post it here as well. Its not meant as a bash or anything other then a quite from another site just thought it was funny.

"There was a project that got killed at Microsoft. This project was designed to allow console gamers and PC gamers to interact and battle over a connected environment. Personally I wish it would have stayed the course. I've heard from reliable sources that during the development they brought together the best console gamers to play mediocre PC gamers at the same game... and guess what happened? They pitted console gamers with their "console" controller, against PC gamers with their keyboard and mouse.

The console players got destroyed every time. So much so that it would be embarrassing to the XBOX team in general had Microsoft launched this initiative. Is this why the project was killed Who knows, but I'd love to hear from anyone involved --- what happened?"

This was one of the promises made by Microsoft that the console and PC would have merged in the online multi player area. Sad to see its actually totally dead :/

Ill end this with one more quite from the page.

"Those of us who have been in the gaming business for over a decade know the real deal. You simply don't get the same level of detail or control as you do with a PC."

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

One last point I would like to make. I really am saddened at the level of PC snobbery PC gamers partake in. resorting to personal attacks about one intelligence just because someone doesn't agree with you. I see it more and more its eather if your not one of us your the enemy. Like I have said I was a big time PC gamer but given the state of Pc gaming I felt the better investment was to go where the bulk of the games are and get a few consoles and a 65 inch HDTV. That way I get my games and its just a better value at this point.

One last point I would like to make. I really am saddend at the level of PC snobery PC gamers partake in. resorting to personal attacks about one intelegence just because someone doesnt agree with you. I see it mnore and more its eather if your not one of us your the enemy. Like I have said I was a big time PC gamer but given the state of Pc gaming I felt the better investment was to go where the bulk of the games are and get a few consoles and a 65 inch HDTV. That way I get my games and its just a better value at this point.

Agree with alot of what you have said, but the part about being treated like a pirate was a bit confusing because even on a console you have to put the dvd/bluray in. I can install games on my xbox to get a slight improvement in load times but still need the disk to play. Now i will say if you have to input a game key you should not need the disk and the other way around as well. Why both the game key and disk are needed confounds me. I have the 10year Command and Conquer disk and cant play the game because I lost the game key with the manuel wile moving :( but thats why I started using steam so now I dont need and CD's or keys its just there :)

arlandi

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
i'm happy that they still focus on single player with Skyrim. DX11 support is nice, but not necessary. and it's good that they (still) support 3rd person perspective, since i usually play with 3PP

kathiki

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
I was just looking at the screen shot and thought what a wonderful graphical world it is..... i should say it is pretty awesome.... It reminds me of the screenshots i got before buying Gothic 4...... you enter a graphically stunning world, DX9 of course.... trees and textures, water, all the goodies... then you look at the NPC;s textures and faces and you start laughing at how ugly they are..... some of the female faces looked like distorted male wannabe .....

I am really averse to developers skipping full DX11 support for the PC.... they are all focused on multiplatform game engines to save time and money. If they manage to produce somethng SOLID it is fine by me.... But how many companies have maanged to do that?

I would personally support them on that if the content was worth EVEN BUYING the game.... Until now the gaming industry has produced MAJOR disappointments in terms of LONG-AWAITED... We get advertisements looooong before releases how this RPG will change the genre of all RPGs, how this will be innovative how this will be better, ONLY to be introduced to something lukewarm. I would even regard most of these titles as a major rip-off...... 30-50 hours of gameplay for 60-70 euros.. There goes your piracy answers..... Most people who pirate games are basically those that feel deeply bitter towards all the crap they buy.... You just wait for your favourite title to come out, you rush to buy it and after a day or two..... you delete the game.. You cannot win them all, you cannot please them all, i know.... but when the majority of the people who play a game show their strong discontent, that means something.
Piracy is a long bitter discussion. Instead of tackling with how many pirates do this or that, better focus on how many developers do this or that...

My main concern ,though, about multiplatform games is how well they perform, how good the interface will be for PC users and the addiction and the longevity of the game.....

Of all the games i have played lately, most game were TOO short, they suffered from major gaps in the plot and at the end they leave you with a bitter feeling of an unfinished game... Most feature this stupid online achievement system, leaving out basic RPG elements.

QUOTING

One last point I would like to make. I really am saddend at the level of PC snobery PC gamers partake in. resorting to personal attacks about one intelegence just because someone doesnt agree with you. I see it mnore and more its eather if your not one of us your the enemy. Like I have said I was a big time PC gamer but given the state of Pc gaming I felt the better investment was to go where the bulk of the games are and get a few consoles and a 65 inch HDTV. That way I get my games and its just a better value at this point. ............

You yourself said the right word...... THE BULK OF THE GAMES.... that does not necessarily mean QUALITY.

Quoting

That is your point of view....... PC enthusiasts are basically people who spend thousand of euros on one single PC.... the rest are simply buyers who play on the PC to get the best out of it.... Lack of support for full DX.11 features is NOT because they do not have the time or the money.... charging 5 more euros for a game to make it an eye candy for the PC is worth the money..... Noone will complain about it.....

kathiki

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
I was just looking at the screen shot and thought what a wonderful graphical world it is..... i should say it is pretty awesome.... It reminds me of the screenshots i got before buying Gothic 4...... you enter a graphically stunning world, DX9 of course.... trees and textures, water, all the goodies... then you look at the NPC;s textures and faces and you start laughing at how ugly they are..... some of the female faces looked like distorted male wannabe .....

I am really averse to developers skipping full DX11 support for the PC.... they are all focused on multiplatform game engines to save time and money. If they manage to produce somethng SOLID it is fine by me.... But how many companies have maanged to do that?

I would personally support them on that if the content was worth EVEN BUYING the game.... Until now the gaming industry has produced MAJOR disappointments in terms of LONG-AWAITED... We get advertisements looooong before releases how this RPG will change the genre of all RPGs, how this will be innovative how this will be better, ONLY to be introduced to something lukewarm. I would even regard most of these titles as a major rip-off...... 30-50 hours of gameplay for 60-70 euros.. There goes your piracy answers..... Most people who pirate games are basically those that feel deeply bitter towards all the crap they buy.... You just wait for your favourite title to come out, you rush to buy it and after a day or two..... you delete the game.. You cannot win them all, you cannot please them all, i know.... but when the majority of the people who play a game show their strong discontent, that means something.
Piracy is a long bitter discussion. Instead of tackling with how many pirates do this or that, better focus on how many developers do this or that...

My main concern ,though, about multiplatform games is how well they perform, how good the interface will be for PC users and the addiction and the longevity of the game.....

Of all the games i have played lately, most game were TOO short, they suffered from major gaps in the plot and at the end they leave you with a bitter feeling of an unfinished game... Most feature this stupid online achievement system, leaving out basic RPG elements.

QUOTING

One last point I would like to make. I really am saddend at the level of PC snobery PC gamers partake in. resorting to personal attacks about one intelegence just because someone doesnt agree with you. I see it mnore and more its eather if your not one of us your the enemy. Like I have said I was a big time PC gamer but given the state of Pc gaming I felt the better investment was to go where the bulk of the games are and get a few consoles and a 65 inch HDTV. That way I get my games and its just a better value at this point. ............

You yourself said the right word...... THE BULK OF THE GAMES.... that does not necessarily mean QUALITY.

Quoting

That is your point of view....... PC enthusiasts are basically people who spend thousand of euros on one single PC.... the rest are simply buyers who play on the PC to get the best out of it.... Lack of support for full DX.11 features is NOT because they do not have the time or the money.... charging 5 more euros for a game to make it an eye candy for the PC is worth the money..... Noone will complain about it.....

G

Guys you are really out of touch with the times yeh? All those claiming that you need to blow wads of cash to play full res Directx 11 on a multicore system are so woefully misinformed. I spend under $500 for a good upgrade 4CORE-CPU+mid entry DX11 GPU+M/board+4GB DDR3 RAM... and you can bet I am now able to play any game at almost 1080p. So consoles be damned. This DX11 boycott on PC gamers is arbitrary but will unfortunatley last until the next gen consoles hit in 2yrs time with DX11/12 capabilities.

G

No matter how hard Bethesda tries, The Elder Scrolls will always be a PC game. I'm not saying they should take away from the consoles or anything like that, but they really need to support the PC community more. Was having full DX11 support too much to ask for? And on top of that, the modding community has done so much for Bethesda's games in regards to keeping it alive by providing patches, texture packs, and generally fun content to keep the games alive. If console players are jealous of the PC version and what it has to offer, they should simply buy a better rig and the PC version of skyrim. It's really not fair that games are frozen in time because the hardware in consoles is 6 years old. Even though I'm a PC player, this makes me wish for next generation consoles just so they will finally move forward with games. If they are going to limit what vanilla PC versions will be like, the least they could have done was made Skyrim a 64 bit exe for the modders to work with.

G

And agreed with the post above mine. I'm buying a rig that will max skyrim and battlefield 3 for only around $500. If people can spend $300 for an xbox along with continuous subscription fees, affording a new PC won't be a problem.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
Guys you are really out of touch with the times yeh? All those claiming that you need to blow wads of cash to play full res Directx 11 on a multicore system are so woefully misinformed. I spend under $500 for a good upgrade 4CORE-CPU+mid entry DX11 GPU+M/board+4GB DDR3 RAM... and you can bet I am now able to play any game at almost 1080p. So consoles be damned. This DX11 boycott on PC gamers is arbitrary but will unfortunatley last until the next gen consoles hit in 2yrs time with DX11/12 capabilities.
What are your system specs? Because a $500 system in most cases will not do well with a full on DX11 game like Metro 2033 or the patched Crysis 2, at least not at 1080p and full settings.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
No matter how hard Bethesda tries, The Elder Scrolls will always be a PC game. I'm not saying they should take away from the consoles or anything like that, but they really need to support the PC community more. Was having full DX11 support too much to ask for? And on top of that, the modding community has done so much for Bethesda's games in regards to keeping it alive by providing patches, texture packs, and generally fun content to keep the games alive. If console players are jealous of the PC version and what it has to offer, they should simply buy a better rig and the PC version of skyrim. It's really not fair that games are frozen in time because the hardware in consoles is 6 years old. Even though I'm a PC player, this makes me wish for next generation consoles just so they will finally move forward with games. If they are going to limit what vanilla PC versions will be like, the least they could have done was made Skyrim a 64 bit exe for the modders to work with.
I feel your pain but .....the gaming community is shooting it self in the foot as a whole. What I mean is a combo of the pirates and the used game market takes a big cut out of profits. Combine that with the fact that the more expansive and graphically impressive a game is the more it cost to make and then add the fact that less people are gaming on a PC and what you get is a game developer that cant make a profit maxing out the PC version because the extra time spent on that part of the game would not = profit. So they cater to there biggest market first (consoles). If more people where gaming on PC's they would be more inclined to cater to us. Also the percentage of PC gamers that could max out a full DX11 game is low. There are a lot of pc gamers that game on entry level GPU's so they would not need a full DX 11 game. So for someone to make a full DX11 game for the PC first is a hard thing to do.

nt300

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2010
It's been fact that Game Developers are getting quite lazy. Why on earth would you design a game based on old XBOX 360 hardware that is rated as being more than 6-7 graphic generations behind where in FACT all games should be specifically designed for the more advanced PC then ported over to game consoles. This is hands down logical, by developing the games for PC technology; you are ensuring 100% quality all across the board. XBOX 360 and the PS3 will have no choice but to look good while pushing the system to its limits, something they were created to do anyway.

Porting over lack lustre console designed games onto PC's is killing the gaming industry as a whole by destroying pure quality graphics and the strive to make them look better every time.

One example of a well made game designed specifically for the PC is BF3. Good on them, that company is pushing innovation to its limit.

Both PC and console owners need to start BOYCOTTING companies that do not design the game specifically for the PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.